PDA

View Full Version : What I learned

jimmyfunk
07-09-2007, 16:10
Having just completed my first AT experience there were a number of things that I learned. While I gained invaluable information from all of you before I left...there were some things that I figured out very quickly once I hit the trail...and hit some snags. This is certainly a NEWBIE list of things that many of you probably take for granted (and some may refute)... but they are things that I won't forget for my next trip.

1. Make sure you try your pack on fully-loaded atleast once before you hit the trail. It might be heavier than you think.

2. Don't wear anything cotton. It's hot. It's heavy. It doesn't dry quickly.

3. You don't need a large shovel. I purchased a small camping shovel for the trip (I thought it was small), but the extra weight became very cumbersome. A small gardening trowel (or a strong stick from the trail) is all you need to bury your excrement.

4. Shorten your stride when climbing steep inclines. It's useless trying to get it over with quickly.

5. Communicate with everyone on the trial. The conditions are always changing... that shelter that had water yesterday may be dry by now. Furthermore, always start by offering information. People appreciate it and are always more apt to help you out.

6. When hiking in groups don't walk too close together. Give yourself enough distance so when the person in front of you almost steps on a rattlesnake you aren't on top of it when it reacts.

7. When you are walking down the trail and a couple bear cubs scurry up a tree 10 feet away... don't stop to take pictures... ignore rule #6 and move... now.

The list could go on forever... but thanks again for everyone who offered advice before we left.

Chaco Taco
07-09-2007, 16:37
1. Make sure you try your pack on fully-loaded atleast once before you hit the trail. It might be heavier than you think.

Thats just funny!!!:D Someone should slap you upside the head for that one!!! :D

slamajama
07-09-2007, 17:32
Having just completed my first AT experience there were a number of things that I learned. While I gained invaluable information from all of you before I left...there were some things that I figured out very quickly once I hit the trail...and hit some snags. This is certainly a NEWBIE list of things that many of you probably take for granted (and some may refute)... but they are things that I won't forget for my next trip.

2. Don't wear anything cotton. It's hot. It's heavy. It doesn't dry quickly.

3. You don't need a large shovel. I purchased a small camping shovel for the trip (I thought it was small), but the extra weight became very cumbersome. A small gardening trowel (or a strong stick from the trail) is all you need to bury your excrement.

4. Shorten your stride when climbing steep inclines. It's useless trying to get it over with quickly.

5. Communicate with everyone on the trial. The conditions are always changing... that shelter that had water yesterday may be dry by now. Furthermore, always start by offering information. People appreciate it and are always more apt to help you out.

6. When hiking in groups don't walk too close together. Give yourself enough distance so when the person in front of you almost steps on a rattlesnake you aren't on top of it when it reacts.

7. When you are walking down the trail and a couple bear cubs scurry up a tree 10 feet away... don't stop to take pictures... ignore rule #6 and move... now.

The list could go on forever... but thanks again for everyone who offered advice before we left.
I will be thinking about this 1 more my next hike....Thxs

Chache
07-09-2007, 20:12
You forgot the part about not eating the yellow snow:bse

Time To Fly 97
07-10-2007, 15:37
I think you are especially on to something with #4. Small fast steps will prevent a plethora of injuries especially when you get tired. This goes for level ground too.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Chaco Taco
07-10-2007, 16:30
Jimmyfunk, the cool thing about hiking is that you will learn something new every single time you go out. Thats the beauty of it, it always changes with each and every hike! You, as a hiker, will change with each and every hike. Have fun on the endless journey. I like to write in my journal the last night of each outing as reflect on the things I learned.
But for that not trying on the pack thing, you should still have someone slap you upside the head one good time!:D

TIDE-HSV
07-10-2007, 19:13
You guys share something, since "funk" means "spark" in German...:)

Chaco Taco
07-10-2007, 19:47
You guys share something, since "funk" means "spark" in German...:)
Funny, haha. Yea my first lesson as a boy scout on my first AT hike was to make sure your pack comes with a hip belt. Walked up Mt Rogers with no hip belt. Dont worry Jimmyfunk, happens to the best of us.

fiddlehead
07-11-2007, 21:56
Good advice Jimmyfunk. thanks
Another good one: Keep an open mind! (this could relate to the hipbelt too) (we brought our Sherpa from Nepal here to hike back in '91 and took him to the smokies and did a 2 or 3 week hike, he carried things like potatoes and onions, and never buckled his hipbelt.) It opened my eyes to the possibility that i didn't need one. Now, i haven't used a hipbelt for my last couple hikes. The Sherpas and people of Nepal tend to put a loop of rope around the bottom of the pack or basket and put all the weight on their forehead. They have stronger necks than we do and can do this with up to 100 lb loads.
Open minds can be the most important thing you can do.

ASUGrad
07-17-2007, 09:12
Amen to #4. I learned that at scout camp at Otari/Powhatan. You'll just get there tired.

Jan LiteShoe
07-17-2007, 10:25
Amen to #4. I learned that at scout camp at Otari/Powhatan. You'll just get there tired.

Yeah, that is my secret too.
Only I don't take fast steps,just small ones.
I call it Trudge Mode, and it's enlightened resignation.
It will get you to Kathdin (or Springer, for the backwards-walking)
;)