PDA

View Full Version : The search for a new pack

Chaco Taco
07-09-2007, 18:13
I have broken down. After my last hike, I swore I would retire my pack and here I am about 3 weeks out of my next big hike, Im searching. Here are my dimensions, Im about 6 feet tall, 200 pounds. I have a little extra weight on me that has been slowly leaving me over the past few months so Im trying to slim down. Sternum to waist is about 13 inches, shoulder to fingers about 37. 41 inches on my torso. Im heading to the trail shop tommorow to get resized. Just want advice about this. Its beens o long since I had to shop for a new one.

mnof1000v
07-09-2007, 18:23
There will be, I'm sure, hundreds of opinions on this. But really, it depends on your needs. Do you typically pack light, or are you someone who feels like they need every convenience?

I use a Granite Gear Vapor Trail, which I love, but there's not a whole lot of extra space there... I think the best idea is to take all your gear to the outfitter, and try a few different packs out. Pick the smallest, most comfortable pack you find that will hold all your stuff.

And this is a topic that comes up a lot, so you might benefit from doing a search on this site for similar articles.

Midway Sam
07-09-2007, 18:45
The Vapor Trail is a great pack, but try as I might I cannot get my gear to fit. I'm not a thru-hiker and therefore don't carry typical thru hiker gear.

That said, I have a REI Mars pack that I use when I go with others and have to "sherpa" extra gear. It weighs 5 1/2 pounds, but it holds 5300ci.

I am getting ready to order the REI Cruise UL 60 Large as my "fast & Lite" pack. It's a pound heavier than the Vapor Trail, but will comfortably hold a heavier load and is a little over 300ci larger.

That's what works for me.

Chaco Taco
07-09-2007, 20:28
Just got home and tried on the Granite Gear Meridianhttp://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/meridian_vapor/index.html
They had it in the Long size. Oh man. I gathered some weight together and got a great feel. The space in it is perfect for my gear.

Also tried the Osprey Atmos 50
http://www.ospreypacks.com/enlarge.php?productID=15&colorCode=352

The suspension system is really cool. I like the style it fits on my back and sits on my waste. They have the waist belts you heat up and mold to your hips. They did the demonstration and its really cool.

Next I tried the Gregory Shasta
http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=8

Gregory is awesome but a little pricey. i got what I was looking for in the Granite Gear and Osprey Atmos 50. So what do ya guys think?

Chaco Taco
07-09-2007, 20:30
The Vapor Trail is a great pack, but try as I might I cannot get my gear to fit. I'm not a thru-hiker and therefore don't carry typical thru hiker gear.

That said, I have a REI Mars pack that I use when I go with others and have to "sherpa" extra gear. It weighs 5 1/2 pounds, but it holds 5300ci.

I am getting ready to order the REI Cruise UL 60 Large as my "fast & Lite" pack. It's a pound heavier than the Vapor Trail, but will comfortably hold a heavier load and is a little over 300ci larger.

That's what works for me.

Yea, I was lookin at these packs on their site and was wondering about them. Thanks!

Chaco Taco
07-09-2007, 20:32
Just took a look at the Granite Gear Vapor trail. Any ideas on it. The price is really nice, about $40 cheaper too.

Midway Sam
07-09-2007, 20:59
Just took a look at the Granite Gear Vapor trail. Any ideas on it. The price is really nice, about $40 cheaper too.

Run it through the Search feature here. All you'll ever want to know, except for the following question:

"Is this the best pack for me?"

scope
07-09-2007, 21:12

I own the Nimbus Meridian you're looking at, fine pack, and adjustable. I tried the Vapor suspension and I just couldn't get it to fit me right - not adjustable. Still, I'd try the Vapor line first and see if it fits you well as it obviously does for a lot of folks. I love the outside pocket for 2-3L bladder, you just have to keep the weight to no more than 25 lbs. Most any dealer will let you buy the Vapor and then trade up to the Meridian if it doesn't fit you or all your gear. That's what I did. Got mine at www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com) which I highly recommend.

Baum Trigger
07-09-2007, 21:38
Vapor Trail and Meridian ( both Nimbus and Vapor) are amazing packs. I sell them at a local outfitter here and have had no complaints from any customers! These two packs are the best way to go in my opinion. I don't see anything special about osprey packs..too heavy for my tastes. I use a vapor trail and I will never go back to anything else. Good luck with your decision!

Chaco Taco
07-09-2007, 22:23
SO just going in to REI on Saturday after work. Going to take my gear with me and do the right thing. The REI brand is looking nice for me because I am looking to go smart on this because I am saving, but my pack is my pack and my pack is done. I really think the REI Cruise 60 looks like the others and is cheaper than the others.

Footslogger
07-09-2007, 22:53
Vapor Trail and Meridian ( both Nimbus and Vapor) are amazing packs. I sell them at a local outfitter here and have had no complaints from any customers! These two packs are the best way to go in my opinion. I don't see anything special about osprey packs..too heavy for my tastes. I use a vapor trail and I will never go back to anything else. Good luck with your decision!

==================================

I second the motion on the Granite Gear packs. Did my thru in 2003 with the Vapor Trail it still has a lot of life left in it. Recently picked up a Nimbus Ozone (second hand) in preparation for my PCT thru. Would rather just go ahead and carry my Vapor Trail but anticipate longer re-supply intervals and carrying more water (weight) so I wanted something that would support 30 - 35 lbs more comfortably. Have had the Nimbus out a few times and it is up to the task.

I doubt I too will ever go back to anything else ...

'Slogger

Poozer
07-09-2007, 22:56
I just got an Atmos 65. I tend to take friends hiking, and well end up caring more than my fair share, so I felt like the extra room would help (this was updating my Dad's 30+ year old external frame, still comfey, but somewhat of a beast). I love the pack thus far. I've put 30 pounds in it (assorted junk) and gone for about 8 miles and its been wonderful. The biggest thing for me was keeping my back cooler, as I overheat far too fast.

Just a note however, you mentioned the custom molded hip belts from Osprey, those are on the Aether and Crescent, and not on the Atmos series, to my knowledge.

greentick
07-09-2007, 23:54
Love my ULA Circuit. www.ula-equipment.com (http://www.ula-equipment.com)

But you can't go wrong with REI. If it doesn't work for you, trade it out.

soulshine26
07-10-2007, 00:15
I have broken down. After my last hike, I swore I would retire my pack and here I am about 3 weeks out of my next big hike, Im searching. Here are my dimensions, Im about 6 feet tall, 200 pounds. I have a little extra weight on me that has been slowly leaving me over the past few months so Im trying to slim down. Sternum to waist is about 13 inches, shoulder to fingers about 37. 41 inches on my torso. Im heading to the trail shop tommorow to get resized. Just want advice about this. Its beens o long since I had to shop for a new one.

Well, my hubby is 5'11 and about 180-185 and we bought him a new pack before our last trip (3 yrs ago). He absolutely loves it. It's a Lowe Alpine- and he said it fits him a thousand times better (and more comfortably) than any other pack he has had in the past. I don't remember the exact price, but it was comparable to the Osprey packs in similar sizes. He also had it custom fitted to him at the store. (Sunrift Adventures in Travelers Rest, SC) www.sunrift.com