PDA

View Full Version : In Franklin you're still welcome

Ron Haven
07-09-2007, 23:55
Many hikers are passing Franklin and needing supplies,outfitter,lodging,a good restaurant meal and other things because of the summer price increase of things such as shuttles,lodging and tourist season here in the south.

Here is one thing to keep in mind."I am hiker friendly all year around".If you need something,call me.Ron (828)524-4403 at Haven's Budget Inn.

Even though most lodging rooms are varying at $59 to $99 including mine.If you are a hiker my rate is the same year around for hikers $35 and $5 ea for ea additional as spring timetime rates.Whiteblazers who know me will tell you. I'am here for you.

I am having a lot of late year hikers who are expecting a price gouge.It don't happen here.To new comers "please don't think this is an ad to rent rooms.It is a personal notice to save hikers some money and help with lodging or a shuttle.
:welcome to Franklin year around

greentick
07-10-2007, 00:01
Thanks for what you do Ron.

Wonder
07-10-2007, 07:59
You're the best!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-10-2007, 08:21
Thanks for letting me know, Ron. I may have to come over there to do some fall hiking and it's nice to know I will have a room with a view(point similar to my own)

T-Dubs
07-10-2007, 09:06
Thanks for the information. I'll keep that in mind when I get your way.

TWS

dixicritter
07-10-2007, 09:32
Thanks for all you do Ron!

fishinfred
07-10-2007, 09:40
RON,
You're a true friend of ALL HIKERS!
THANK YOU!
I'm heading to Maine in a few weeks (as soon as the NEW GRANDBABY ARRIVES :) ) But I'm sure I'll see ya again in the spring ! Your HIKER BASH ROCKS!
:banana
Fishinfred

PS
Here's some of the pics I took this year. (http://fredor111.tripod.com/at_2007_tds_music_and_such/index.album/at-2007-tds-music-and-such?i=0)
ENJOY and thanks again RON!

TOW
07-10-2007, 09:44
Right on Ron, I will be sure to let any southbounders I run into know about you and give them your number. I love you Ron.......

Cookerhiker
07-10-2007, 12:09
Right on Ron, I will be sure to let any southbounders I run into know about you and give them your number. I love you Ron.......

Same here - may your hiker business (and all your business) flourish!

Ron Haven
07-10-2007, 21:36
Same here - may your hiker business (and all your business) flourish!Friends,Thanks for all the kindness of all of you too.I have been having 2 to 10 hikers coming in daily.The reason for this post have run into a few on the trail who wanted to come into town but they said they were on a budget.I told them We understand.Fishin Fred I know you are happy.All of you have a great summer,and all of you thru hikers.Hang in there and good luck.Send us a photo from the mountain top.

:sun

orangebug
07-11-2007, 06:32
Though, keep in mind that this is festival season and even Ron may have trouble finding room in the inn as times. He is a terrific guy, but don't abuse him when market conditions make the No Vacancy sign ubiquitous around Western Carolina.

Ron Haven
07-16-2007, 01:16
Though, keep in mind that this is festival season and even Ron may have trouble finding room in the inn as times. He is a terrific guy, but don't abuse him when market conditions make the No Vacancy sign ubiquitous around Western Carolina.Orange Bug I might get some extra time in August for hiking if you are free.Speaking of festivals as I have mentioned to many of the thru hikers about Franklin being quoted as "the Gem Capitol of the World"The big world class gem show is going to be http://www.glwshows.com/show_details.cfm?no=928
July 25th through the 29th.If you are a rock hound or a stone natural enthusiest this could be a life time dream show.

Now I am really booked up for this show for the next several years as far as the motels are concerned but there are rooms available 75 miles away.

If I could be of assistance,click on this link or e-mail me. Thanks,Ron

Altared
07-22-2007, 17:16
Thanks Ron for all you do.

Ron came to our rescue during a thunderstorm a few weeks ago. Cold, wet, covered in mud! Came all the way to Wallace Gap and picked us up. Spent the night at his hotel and he stopped by the grocery store on the way back to the trail next day.
He's my hero!!!!

Gray Blazer
07-23-2007, 14:01
Hey Ron, did you meet a guy named Daniel the other week. I told him to call you when he got to Deep Gap. He was an interesting guy to say the least. He had had 2 knee replacements (so he said) and he didn't realize there would be long uphill walks on the AT AND he was a little concerned about slipping on the rocks and he didn't hike in the rain. Kind of an all-around AT victim.
A shout out to Crutch and the gang.

Creek Dancer
07-23-2007, 15:35
Ron gave a bunch of SoRuck hikers a ride to the trailhead last January. He is a true friend of the hiking community. Thanks for all you do Ron. :)

Ron Haven
07-23-2007, 18:28
Hey Ron, did you meet a guy named Daniel the other week. I told him to call you when he got to Deep Gap. He was an interesting guy to say the least. He had had 2 knee replacements (so he said) and he didn't realize there would be long uphill walks on the AT AND he was a little concerned about slipping on the rocks and he didn't hike in the rain. Kind of an all-around AT victim.
A shout out to Crutch and the gang.Blazer he did stay for 2 days.Creek Dancer and Altared I enjoy working with the hiker world.Our goal is to treat each and every hiker as family.

Flyingfishman
08-07-2007, 09:49
Ron, I stayed there June 15th, 2007 http://flyingfishmanky.com/id26.html along with Kurt, Claire and Nevenah (with her dog June). We had a wonderful time in Franklin and I highly reccomend anyone staying there to give Ron a call. He is a true friend of the hiker. Franklin is also a great resupply point on the AT and not to mention a laundromat and an AYCE buffet are right behind Ron's place.

Ron Haven
08-07-2007, 19:12
Ron, I stayed there June 15th, 2007 http://flyingfishmanky.com/id26.html along with Kurt, Claire and Nevenah (with her dog June). We had a wonderful time in Franklin and I highly reccomend anyone staying there to give Ron a call. He is a true friend of the hiker. Franklin is also a great resupply point on the AT and not to mention a laundromat and an AYCE buffet are right behind Ron's place.I'll be back to Franklin soon but now I am laying back in Los Angeles,Cal.All have fun,Ron :D

HUNTHIKELIFT
09-30-2007, 14:33
Ron, thank you for all you do! Myself and Big Dipper(Ben) met you and you were kind enough to give us a lift to Neels for a send off. It's nice to have good people around such as yourself.

HUNTHIKELIFT
09-30-2007, 14:34
Hey Ron, yer not messn with any lettuce in Cali are ya?...lol Your retired from that. :D

Ron Haven
09-30-2007, 17:25
Hey Ron, yer not messn with any lettuce in Cali are ya?...lol Your retired from that. :DNot lately.I'm going to go back around Xmas time and get warm in that L A sunshine. :sun Stop by Franklin again when you can.

gold bond
10-01-2007, 15:06
Hey Ron, I've emailed you 3 times in the last three weeks trying to get some info on some shuttle possibilties and you have never responded! I'm wanting to come to Franklin this weekend but....

neo
10-01-2007, 15:20
Many hikers are passing Franklin and needing supplies,outfitter,lodging,a good restaurant meal and other things because of the summer price increase of things such as shuttles,lodging and tourist season here in the south.

Here is one thing to keep in mind."I am hiker friendly all year around".If you need something,call me.Ron (828)524-4403 at Haven's Budget Inn.

Even though most lodging rooms are varying at $59 to $99 including mine.If you are a hiker my rate is the same year around for hikers $35 and $5 ea for ea additional as spring timetime rates.Whiteblazers who know me will tell you. I'am here for you.

I am having a lot of late year hikers who are expecting a price gouge.It don't happen here.To new comers "please don't think this is an ad to rent rooms.It is a personal notice to save hikers some money and help with lodging or a shuttle.

:) thats awesome,i will stop next time i pass thru:cool: neo

Skidsteer
10-01-2007, 17:32
Hey Ron, I've emailed you 3 times in the last three weeks trying to get some info on some shuttle possibilties and you have never responded! I'm wanting to come to Franklin this weekend but....

Call him. (828)524-4403.

Ron posted it in the thread starter.

shoe
10-01-2007, 18:49
Calling is the best thing.
I always get shuttles from Ron even at the last minute.

Ron Haven
10-01-2007, 20:59
Hey Ron, I've emailed you 3 times in the last three weeks trying to get some info on some shuttle possibilties and you have never responded! I'm wanting to come to Franklin this weekend but....Gold Bond,I am very sorry but I haven't recieved it.My e-mail is [email protected] yes my phone at Budget Inn is 828-524-4403 and my cell phone is 828-349-4231.Many times when you me you must leave a message because I spend a lot of time in the mountains where I don't have phone reception.

That's why I usually list Budget Inns number.They know where I am and also to stay on top of things when I'm gone I have backup people to assist hikers who are trail knowledgeable in our area when I am helping other hikers.;)

To all who is intrested October is an expensive month for lodging in our area.If you need lodging and you choose us.As all hikers who know me will tell you.I will quote hikers the same rate now as I do in the winter.But book a little ahead of time because we fill quickly.

One catch "if my rates are $89 per night please don't yell out I get a room for $35 tonight in front of other guest".For this I add a $54 tip added on in my favor. :dance

Ron Haven
10-01-2007, 21:03
:) thats awesome,i will stop next time i pass thru:cool: neoSounds great Neo.

Socrates
10-01-2007, 21:13
Yeah I took a 0 at Ron's. He's a nice guy that does his best to help. And he speaks Spanish... Never saw that one comin! It brought back memories riding on the short bus... Thanks Ron.

Ron Haven
10-01-2007, 21:57
Yeah I took a 0 at Ron's. He's a nice guy that does his best to help. And he speaks Spanish... Never saw that one comin! It brought back memories riding on the short bus... Thanks Ron.Hi Socrates I remember you also.Hope you haven't grown any taller and you are doing well.PS your welcome.:)

Pootz
10-17-2007, 15:04
I stayed at the Budget during my 07 thru hike. Found Ron and his staff to be very helpfull. Nice room for not much money, free shuttles to and from the trail, store and outfitter. many places to eat within walking distance of the motel. I would recomend his place to anyone.

Pootz 07

Pacific Tortuga
10-23-2007, 22:09
The only thing that would be nice is a picnic table at the gap, while your waiting for Ron, in my opinion. Otherwise, don't change a thing.

minnesotasmith
10-24-2007, 01:31

Where's the $20 hostel that makes a great trail town? Otherwise, IMO it's just another town 20 miles from the AT.

Just a Hiker
10-24-2007, 01:37
Thanks for the rides this past February Ron! And thanks for the Recipe!! :D

Just Jim

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 04:05
Where's the $20 hostel that makes a great trail town? Otherwise, IMO it's just another town 20 miles from the AT.

franklin is only 10 miles from the AT, rooms are cheap. hostels suck

chiefdaddy
10-24-2007, 06:49
I have been to Ron's and it beats a hostel anyday, even has a hiker box and the beds don't stink like at some hostels.
We didn't even have to call for a ride one showed up two minutes after we sat down and then Ron drove us back to the trail in the bus no problem.

mrc237
10-24-2007, 07:49
Ron Haven is a standup guy!

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 08:09
Dear Lord,

As I stand here on the edge of this road in North Carolina after a wonderful hike in your glorious mountains...

May I truly be grateful for another day living in a country where I can hike for months on the trail without loosing everything I hold dear.

And as I stand here, contemplating them mysteries of your divine plan, may I TRULY be thankful for this big, free bus that is about to take me to a town where where I can get food, wash, get laundry, and post my snivels on the Internet.

Lord, I do not know why you didn't put a trail town right next to this spot just for me. But since the mysteries of your divine plan often escape me - at least help me to be thankful for what I do have out here and not snivel about the fact I can't find a hostel for less than $20.

Amen.

chief
10-24-2007, 13:08
Wow Sarge, you've been awfully poetic lately and humorous too. Must be the Tennessee air or home cookin'.

minnesotasmith
10-24-2007, 13:36
Dear Lord,

As I stand here on the edge of this road in North Carolina after a wonderful hike in your glorious mountains...

May I truly be grateful for another day living in a country where I can hike for months on the trail without loosing everything I hold dear.

And as I stand here, contemplating them mysteries of your divine plan, may I TRULY be thankful for this big, free bus that is about to take me to a town where where I can get food, wash, get laundry, and post my snivels on the Internet.

Lord, I do not know why you didn't put a trail town right next to this spot just for me. But since the mysteries of your divine plan often escape me - at least help me to be thankful for what I do have out here and not snivel about the fact I can't find a hostel for less than $20.

Amen.

There are piles of towns with motels in them, which typically cost multiples of the price of a hostel. Most thruhikers will skip the majority of those a double-digit # of miles from the AT that they don't need for resupply. (I hiked from Hiawassee to Fontana with no resupply, and at the pace I was doing then, that indicates it's very doable for most would-be thruhikers.)

As far as a hostel being a nasty place no hiker would want to go to, I have three quick answers to that:

1) If someone finds a hostel tough to put up with, they're REALLY going to have it tough in the woods. Hostels have roofs, running water, commonly have phones, usually have heat, sometimes have AC, are usually close to clothes washers if they don't have them, sometimes have Internet, usually allow mail drops -- they're perfectly adequate as a rule for a hiker.

2) You meet the most interesting people at hostels, from the other hikers there, to the hiker-friendly townies to the hostel operators (who are usually not in it for the money IMO as much as they just love being part of the Trail community). They're an integral part of the Trail experience IMO, just like the shelters. (Lone Wolf, feel free to go lose your lunch now.)

3) Miss Janet's.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 13:49
PS Lord...

Can you make the hostels Viking friendly.

Amen again

Gray Blazer
10-24-2007, 14:21
Minnesota Vikings?

grayl1te
10-24-2007, 14:30
Hey. The Gem and Lapidary Show in Franklin is a wholesale show...and while a great show....you can't get in without a sales tax business number thingy. (sorry...just got up.) I lived in Asheville for 20 years--now in NV and really miss the show. Miss NC. etc. but wanted to say...it's not a drop by kind of show.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 15:05
Minnesota Vikings?
Those Vikings have it so rough.

Ron Haven
10-24-2007, 19:35
Hey. The Gem and Lapidary Show in Franklin is a wholesale show...and while a great show....you can't get in without a sales tax business number thingy. (sorry...just got up.) I lived in Asheville for 20 years--now in NV and really miss the show. Miss NC. etc. but wanted to say...it's not a drop by kind of show.http://www.glwshows.com/show_details.cfm?no=928 Greyl1te,here is a link to the Gem Show.If you live in Nevada there is 2 shows a year in Las Vegas and 2 shows a year in Tucson.On this site they have a show schedule for all the shows.I know Bob Shabillion from Flora,Mississippi that promotes that show.

If any of you are ever intrested in coming to Franklin to those shows,Maybe I can help you.The G&LW means Gem & Lapidary Wholesalers.At the time of this show they have 4 other shows that you can get into as a retail show.I have a dealers license and deal some in gemstones on the side as a hobby.

Also as some have seen the special on the travel channel about the gem mines in Franklin.I keep flyers,brochures,and info at the motels of the mines.
Franklin is home to the largest ruby ever found in the world on display at Ruby City Museum only 250 ft from Budget Inn.Here is a Gem Mining Link of Franklin. http://www.rubycity.com/links1

mudhead
10-24-2007, 19:59
PS Lord...

Can you make the hostels Viking friendly.
Non fish eating Vikings only, please.

Amen again

Minnesota Vikings?
No, they like fish up there.

mudhead
10-24-2007, 20:06
Not sure how I got the non fish eating Vikings in there, but the multi-quote is cool anyway. I may be brave enough to try again next week.

Hear about the guy who found the almost 4 caret diamond in AR?

chiefdaddy
10-24-2007, 20:17
NEVER SAW A HOSTEL THAT TOOK DOGS :D

I will go to franklin just for RON lol and Chief my dog.

And an Amen to the Sarg'S prayer!