PDA

View Full Version : New pack needed

Littlest Hobo
07-10-2007, 10:46
Alright – I’ve finally managed to get my kit down to the 13–14 pound range, and now I’m ready for a new pack to replace my Gregory Palisades (don’t ask how heavy my gear was before…) While the local outfitters here are helpful, their selection of true lightweight gear is limited at best. While I was willing to go the on-line route for my tarptent, sleeping bag, etc., I’m a little reluctant to do so with a backpack (I want to try before I buy).

That being said, I was initially leaning towards an Osprey Atmos 50. I’ve seen a lot of positive feedback regarding this pack on this site. But yesterday, I came across an Osprey Talon 44 – while it lacks the vented back panel and the shoulder strap padding of the Atmos, it is a little lighter.

The gear shop has a sixty day return policy, so I could get both, try them on with my gear at home, and return the one I like the least. That being said, I’m hoping that someone on this site has had some long-term experience with the Talon. Osprey claims that they designed the Talon “with thru-hikers in mind” (if I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard that…) I’ve done a quick search and can find only one mention of this pack on Whiteblaze.

maxNcathy
07-10-2007, 11:53
For lightness check out Gossamer Gear, eh.
Max,Wiarton, ON

Littlest Hobo
07-10-2007, 12:30
For lightness check out Gossamer Gear, eh.
Max,Wiarton, ON

Yeah, I've seen those packs mentioned here a few times, but they don't appear to offer them FS in retail stores (in Canada at least). Might try to get my hands on a GG Vapor Trail (a local outfitter here does sell a few GG day packs, so they may be able to order one for me to try)

mnof1000v
07-10-2007, 13:39
Especially if you're only packing 15 lbs of gear. It's a great pack, rides well, and is seriously durable.

strez
07-10-2007, 14:45
I have an Atmos 50 and highly recommend it. Great all-around pack for many purposes.

I also have been using my Gregory Advent Pro for fastpacking and I would highly recommend that as well.

Just my opinion here, but for packs, I would not simply go with the lightest pack. It may be worth getting a pack that weighs an extra pound or two on your back if it's going to give you a considerably greater amount of comfort. That's why I like my Atmos 50 -- it's lightweight, yet supportive enough to handle heavier loads as well, giving me much more flexibility.

gold bond
07-10-2007, 15:40
Light is alright but just to play devils advocate here...

Wonder if for any reason you have to carry a "larger" or "heavier" load than expected will this bag do it comfortably?

Are you considering hip belts, shoulder straps, weight limitations when considering these two bags?

Most times the lighter bags aren't as durable as the ones that may be a little heavier (1-5 lbs more) so is this a consideration for a year or two down the road? a Pack is a big investment.

I went to the Ospry Cresent 85. 7 lbs in all but I got molded hip belts and whether I carry 20 lbs or 50 lbs and yes I had to carry 45 lbs at Philmont this past June, it did it very well and very comfortably. I had no problems and kept up with the boys half my age!!

Also right before I left for New Mexico (Philmont) I had a problem with one of the stays and when it was trying to be repaired by the local outfitter the part had to be ordered and was not going to be here in time. Osprey told the outfitter to give me a new bag and they would handle it from there. They did not want anything interfering with my trip.

Great product, great customer service...it's worth a pound or two extra in my book!!

Grinder
07-10-2007, 17:06
consider a Gearskin

Totaly modular. anything from day pack to 6000 cu in.

See Sgt. Rocks write up at Hiking Headquarters.
http://hikinghq.net/gear/moonbow_gearskin.html

miles of smiles
Tom

Jim Adams
07-11-2007, 00:24
the atmos 50 is a great pack, mine has never felt uncomfortable.

geek

Chaco Taco
07-12-2007, 19:43
I have just ordered a Golite Pinnacle. Weighs under 2 pounds and is 4000 cui. I cant wait to try it out. They have some awesome packs. I also looked at the Granite Gear Meridian and some of the Ospreys. All great packs. Just that I like the Golite because for the price its a helluva deal.
Good luck searching

Littlest Hobo
07-15-2007, 11:55
Just bought the Atmos 50. The outfitter only had the Talon 33, which is only supposed to be comfortable up to 25 pounds. While my gear/food/water weight will most likely be just below the 25 pound mark when I hit the Long Trail in mid-August (the current weight of my gear and pack is 13lbs 10 ounces), I wanted a pack with a little "give" - as others have pointed out, there's few things more uncomfortable on a hike than a pack loaded beyond capacity. I may decide to remove the lid to shave a few ounces...

Going to take it on a 3 night test run in early August. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Littlest Hobo
08-13-2007, 12:00
Alright – just returned from my 3 day test run. Overall, I love the pack. It’s for more comfortable than any I have used before. I do have one gripe – I prefer using water bottles, and they are virtually inaccessible while wearing the pack. I anticipated this, so a jury-rigged shock cord and carabineer setup, which allowed me to carry bottle to my shoulder strap.

Unfortunately, as I found out last weekend, adding weight of the water caused the strap to be pulled down onto my shoulder, causing it to feel quite sore after only a few hours hiking. I ended up ditching the setup after the first day and reverted to putting the bottles in their respective side pockets.

So now I’ve caved in and bought a 2L Nalgene reservoir (the kind with a magnetic clip near the bite valve). Never having used a reservoir before, I’m not sure how/where to attach the hose so that it’s not flopping around (insert your own joke here :D). Any tips?

floyd242
08-13-2007, 12:51
My 3L platypus came with an aligator clip thing attach to a piece of velcro around the hose. I just clip it to my chest strap.