Appalachian Tater
07-10-2007, 11:37
http://tinyurl.com/3bzqt3

From the Noblesville Indiana, Daily Times:

Vinona Christensen abandons quest to hike the Appalachian Trail
http://www.county29.com/images/07.09.07.Christensen,%20Vinona002.jpg
Monday, 09 July 2007
Hanging up her boots

Only a day after returning to complete her quest of the Appalachian Trail, Vinona Christensen has decided to hang up her hiking boots.

“I am sad and disappointed at not being able to finish the entire trail, but am content with what I have done and with my decision,” she said via e-mail.

Christensen set out March 25 to cover the 2,175-mile trail from Springer Mountain, Ga. to Mt. Katahdin in Maine, but after two months of hiking and covering nearly 800 miles, the emotional strain took its toll. She left the trail at Glasgow, Va. and returned home to Noblesville June 16 for a much-needed break.

Christensen returned to the trail July 1. This time starting from Mt. Katahdin, she hoped to work her way back to Glasgow to cover the entire distance. She spent July 2 climbing Mt. Katahdin with some other hikers but by nightfall, it became clear to her that she could not continue.

“All of a sudden I had all of the answers as to why I had needed to get off the trail, why I hadn’t been able to leave the hiking partner that I didn’t think was right for me and why I would not be able to go any further,” she said. “Even though I had hiked for nearly two months all by myself and spend much of my time alone as I live alone, I could not face the thought of spending any more time hiking alone.”

The next day she caught a ride to the airport and came home. But, she hasn’t ruled out another attempt in the future.

“Perhaps one day I will hike more of the trail, but I don’t think that I will again try to hike for an extended time by myself,” she said.

By William Fouts

Appalachian Tater
07-10-2007, 11:43
Here's when she got off the trail the first time:

http://tinyurl.com/3yfpgu

From the Noblesville, Indiana Daily Times:

A new start on the trail
Tuesday, 03 July 2007
By William Fouts

The physical, mental and emotional strain of hiking the Appalachian Trail took its toll on Vinona Christensen. After covering approximately 771 miles of the 2,175-mile trail, the 49-year-old adventure traveler could take no more.

“I said from the beginning that, while the trail is physically a lot of work, it is the mental aspect that is the hardest to deal with,” Christensen said via e-mail Friday.

Christensen began her journey March 25 in Springer Mountain, Ga., en route to the trail’s northern terminus at Mt. Katahdin, Maine. Updating family and friends by e-mail on her progress during stops in towns along the way, Christensen has battled extreme weather conditions, weight loss, a bout of food poisoning and a camp stove mishap that earned her the trail name “Fire Hazard.” She returned home to Noblesville from Glasgow, Va. June 16 to rest, recuperate and reevaluate.

“I finally decided that the only way I am ever going to make up my mind as to whether I can and want to finish hiking the trail is to get out there and hike,” she said.

She had hoped to reach Mt. Katahdin by October before Baxter State Park closed for the season. However, the two weeks away from trial cuts that deadline too close for comfort. She resumed her trek Monday at Mt. Katahdin and will work her way back to Glasgow.

“If she rushed she could,” said her daughter Rachel Simmons of Fishers. “If she really wanted to do 20 mile days every day, she could make it.”

While she says she has recovered physically and emotionally, Christensen will face new challenges. Fewer hikers travel from north to south along the Appalachian, and she will be out of contact with the hikers she met earlier.

“I feel very removed already from much of what I experienced in the first third of the trail, and I consider this to be a fresh start,” she said. “As such, I think I will be calling myself just that: ‘Fresh Start.’”

About this series
The Noblesville Daily Times is following the progress of Noblesville woman Vinona Christensen as she spends most of this year hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Blissful
07-10-2007, 16:33
I have to agree - it is mentally and physically a HUGE challenge. It almost needs to be a calling of sorts to get through it. The AT is a mental game above all (my hubby is experiencing that right now) But I know when I take a day off, the trail calls to me. And as I am here for a few days at my inlaws to fix my pack and get out of the heat for a few days, I am looking forward to getting back on, despite the man eating bugs, heat, humidity, rain, MUDS etc etc etc. It's all part of trail life.

emerald
07-10-2007, 20:57
I knew you were called and that you would respond to the call.;)

Yahtzee
07-10-2007, 22:05
771 miles ain't too shabby. Not a bad way to spend a couple of months. Hope she realizes that.

CoyoteWhips
07-10-2007, 22:11
I agree. When you're done, you're done. Not so bad that there was leftover trail. Maybe a little sad to reach the end of the trail and not be satisfied, yet.

mambo_tango
07-14-2007, 13:57
I saw Fire Hazard in Glasgow as a matter of fact... I was really sad to see her go but then I only made it 300 more miles! I talked to her quite a bit in the Smokies.

Crawbear
07-18-2007, 15:29
I hiked Katahdin with Fire Hazard (Vinona) the day she came back to the trail, and I was with her when she decided to head back home again. We both had stayed at the AT Lodge in Millinocket the night before. She was really helpful and gave me a lot of advice, and I was sad to see her head home. But she seemed confident that it was the best thing for her.

wolf
08-03-2007, 20:34
dont give up ,rest and go for it .never say never

sloopjonboswell
08-07-2007, 11:17
yeah, hiking alone is sometimes a drag. maybe if i was more pleasant.

Erin
08-07-2007, 17:44
I met Firehazard on the first night out on a section hike at Jerry's Cabin. She was extremely friendly, helpful and had good advice and very nice gear. (gear envy) I wondered how she was doing. Nice job on a very long section and I hope she continues to enjoy hiking.