PDA

View Full Version : The great outdoors! :)

Mags
07-10-2007, 15:22
More campgrounds going Wi-Fi
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20070709/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_wi_fi_camping;_ylt=AmOBoqNkEzkUR6yNWs YFlNTMWM0F

Give me my Blackberry access or die! ;)

Footslogger
07-10-2007, 15:35
That might just be the straw that breaks PocketMail's back ...

'Slogger

Mags
07-10-2007, 15:58
That might just be the straw that breaks PocketMail's back ...

'Slogger

In all seriousness, you are probably correct.

The biggest users of pocketmail are RVers. As more commercial campgrounds (and quite a few state campgrounds) get WiFi in place, the usefulness of pocketmail is very debatable for most people.

A few hundred hikers will not keep the company floating.

taildragger
07-10-2007, 16:01
I think I just threw up.

I always thought people on cellphones were bad enough, but now we provide them with internet as well....it just reminds me of what an ol' turkey hunter said "You think you're in the middle of nowhere and then you see a budweiser can"

woodsy
07-10-2007, 16:30
Just call it the bring it all with ya generation. I must be old fashioned, I go to the woods and mountains in order to sever all ties with civilization as we know it and find it rather ejoyable being 'out of touch'!

mudhead
07-10-2007, 19:26
I really like my weather radio, so I'll let them have their fun. Texting in the woods is better than behind the wheel.

aaroniguana
07-10-2007, 19:50
Well that's an interesting development... I just bought a pocketmail :(

Mags
07-11-2007, 11:02
Well that's an interesting development... I just bought a pocketmail :(

Yeah..they've been having major finanacial issues. If you are using the pocketmail for 2007, you are probably fine. 2008? 2009? Who knows.

There are enough hard core geeks in the community that someone may be able to cobble together an e-mail server to make use of pocketmail technology if Pocketmail goes belly up.

That someone is not me. :)

Mags
07-11-2007, 11:14
I really like my weather radio, so I'll let them have their fun. Texting in the woods is better than behind the wheel.

Well, it just points to what I've said before: In this increasingly connected world, people who choose to not be connected 24/7 will be the aberration.

Already in many white-collar type jobs, people are expected to respond to e-mails/pagers when on vacation. With universal WiFi coming more often, this will be expected more. I suspect National Parks will have WiFi at some point. When (if?) sat phone technology gets affordable, the 24/7 connection will be increasingly emphasized.

Just an observation how much we are changing. Many hiking forums now have the question of "How do I stay connected?"

It is a sign that the line between "off the grid" (if you will) and staying in touch with everyone is becoming increasingly slim.

Is it good? Is it bad? Depends upon each person.

I do know that choosing to be unconnected will be the rare choice in the future, though.

Footslogger
07-11-2007, 11:18
Well ...IMHO, the "BAD" is the trend toward NEEDING to be connected.

The "GOOD" would be emergency access when/if necessary.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 11:21
Anybody here NOT own a cell phone, pocketmail, ipod or any other electronic gadget.? I must be the only one.

Mags
07-11-2007, 11:27
Anybody here NOT own a cell phone, pocketmail, ipod or any other electronic gadget.? I must be the only one.

Well I am typing on a computer right now... Then again, so are you. :)

In all seriousness, I do take a digitial camera into the woods. I did use PM last year to file newspaper articles. But, PM is not a 24/7 connection. Heck, it may not even be around by 2008... I suspect, for me, a 24/7 connection would change my hike. But, that's me.

Mags
07-11-2007, 11:28
Well ...IMHO, the "BAD" is the trend toward NEEDING to be connected.

The "GOOD" would be emergency access when/if necessary.

'Slogger

That about sums it up for me as well. It is just a tool like anything else. How the tool is used is another story. I really don't care if people want to be connected 24/7. However, when people expect it of me, that's another story.

And I'm afraid that is where we are headed.

Toolshed
07-11-2007, 11:36
My 6 year old and I were in the adirondacks backpacking - We stopped at a Jellystone Park and for a cold drink and my son was enamored with the pool and playground, so we decided to stay there for a night on our way home.

I spotted the WiFi sign when we were getting our site in the manager's office and was surprised. I think the manager was more surprised when I said I didn't need a site with electricity - She asked how we would operate our TV, and then caught herself and said "you must have a generator"; I laughed and said Lady, we don't even have a cooler!!!" "We're backpackers!!!!"

But anyways, WiFi has invaded for those that want to get away ....but cant get away ...but feel like they got away......

jlb2012
07-11-2007, 12:05

you are not the only one - I do not own a cell phone, pocket mail, nor ipod. Nor for that matter a TV.

the closest I come to gadgetdom is a GPS which I have found to be only useful for finding trailheads (useless on the trail)

Ewker
07-11-2007, 12:21

I don't have a Ipod or pocketmail but I do have a cell phone and it serves as my home phone. I think more people are going that way instead of having a home and cell phone.

taildragger
07-11-2007, 13:19
I know that working as a process engineer whatever company I finally glue myself to will want access to me at all times, and I really want to be able to get outside and away from that. People can fend for themselves, and its partly the helplessness of my generation that will really push this technology (helpless in the fact that I don't think they could ever fend for themselves in the work environment or anywhere for that matter)

What would really bug me out is if I decide to work on a platform for the 2 weeks on 2 weeks off program, and now I get harassed in the mountains during my two off for a question that I really didn't need to be called about in the first place. People just need to get back to their roots and realize that life did exists before mobile electronics.

Mags
07-11-2007, 13:30
you are not the only one - I do not own a cell phone, pocket mail, nor ipod. Nor for that matter a TV.

But you are typing on a computer, too. :)

Like Ewker I only have a cell phone. No land line. I rarely talk on the phone. Most of my phone time tends to be to call the family back East. My $30 a month plan is less expensive if I factor in the cost of a land line+ long distance rates. Many people I know in my age bracket (and younger) do not have a land line as well.

And I never take it with me when I go backpacking.

jlb2012
07-11-2007, 14:09
what about cameras? I suspect I am one of the few that does not own a camera of any type. I do admit to owning a computer but it never goes anywhere with me.

Mags
07-11-2007, 14:13
what about cameras? I suspect I am one of the few that does not own a camera of any type. I do admit to owning a computer but it never goes anywhere with me.

I am not quite sure of your point. Are you angling for "I use less technology than anyone here" merit badge? ;)

Unless the cameras now come with a sat phone connection, I do not think it quite goes with the theme of being connected 24/7.

twosticks
07-11-2007, 16:13
I am a fully connected individual. I have a cell phone, blackberry, laptop, camera, computer and just about every other electronic device you can think of. But, I leave them all home when I head out to the great wide open. Disconnecting is a great thing.

woodsy
07-11-2007, 16:56
Disconnecting is a great thing.

Thats the spirit! :sun

Nearly Normal
07-14-2007, 04:48

You aint the only one!

Nearly Normal

fiddlehead
07-14-2007, 07:21

the closest I come to gadgetdom is a GPS which I have found to be only useful for finding trailheads (useless on the trail)

depends on the trail.

I have 2 brothers who brag about not having a cell phone. but, when they run out of beer, they are glad to borrow someone elses.

you can criticise those that choose to be in touch, but more and more of us are joining them and enjoying the benefits.

Our lead guitar player got a new phone, it has a guitar tuner in it, a metronome, 5 gigs of music (now we just hook up his cell phone to our PA system between sets), as well as internet access. (forget the words to a song, (or the chords) just look it up. who can complain? the thing replaces about 4 different battery operated gadgets.

superman
07-14-2007, 07:47

I don't have any of those things and if I did I'd leave them at home when I went to the woods. The only thing worse than seeing the excessive use of that stuff (cars, airports, restaurants, shelters, etc.) is having to eaves drop on inane drivel that gets labeled as communication.:banana

oldfivetango
07-14-2007, 09:12

You don't need one LW.Besides it might make you look gay or something,
you know,like gaiters and umbrellas do.:D
Oldfivetango

Lone Wolf
07-14-2007, 13:19
You don't need one LW.Besides it might make you look gay or something,
you know,like gaiters and umbrellas do.:D
Oldfivetango

just back from asheville. damn near all the hippies had a cell plastered to their ear

Jack Tarlin
07-14-2007, 13:28
For a guy who alledgedly doesn't own any electronic gadgets, Wolf, you sure manage to post a lot! Or is your home computer solar-powered?

Just curious. :D

Lone Wolf
07-14-2007, 13:44
a computer is not a portable gadget. when on the trail i have no electronic gadgets. i do have a campmor watch i bought for 19.99 4 years ago

Jimmers
07-14-2007, 14:00
Unless it also measures your heartrate, blood pressure, and the temerature, it's not a gadget. Sometimes it is absolutely necessary to know what time it is, like when the AYCE ends.;)

Lone Wolf
07-14-2007, 14:16
Sometimes it is absolutely necessary to know what time it is, like when the AYCE ends.;)

that and beer stores

Toolshed
07-14-2007, 19:37
I find the cellphone indispensable for my stock trades and mutual fund prices. If I didn't, I might end up poor and grungy someday like mostayou AT hikers:welcome

oldfivetango
07-15-2007, 08:01
just back from asheville. damn near all the gay hippies had a cell plastered to their ear

Told Ya!What REAL MEN do is just talk louder if they
want to be heard!!I've always thought telephones
were for girls!!
Oldfivetango