PDA

View Full Version : Montrails too much for trail?

Old Beatnik
07-10-2007, 18:56
In 2002, I purchased a pair of heavy duty Montrail boots for alpine hiking, i.e., above treeline in scree, etc., and for use in seriously twisted, rocky terrain. Since '02, I have had little occassion to use these boots, yet I am planning a week-long section hike of the AT (Virginia), and would like to get these boots broken in once and for all. Each outing, so far, has resulted in mad heel blisters, even though these boots are so very comfortable and seem to fit perfectly in the parking lot.
About how long (how many miles), does it usually take to break in a pair of these heavy duty hikers? I've used them maybe half a dozen times on hikes from 1-8 miles. Any advice on the most comfortable and practical footwear for the AT? Are the Montrails too much? I hate to give up on them just yet, especially since they cost over $200.
:-?

taildragger
07-10-2007, 19:23
Don't know how to break it down into miles, but when I break in a pair of boots I just wear them for about 3-6 months. This has worked on my other boots and its easier than just hiking in them and getting wicked blisters.

Slimer
07-10-2007, 19:25
Blisters suck.
I would'nt use the boots if you're having blister problems......it would only ruin your trip. Get a pair of Montrail Hardrock trail runners, they'll do just fine and your feet will love you for it.

Shutterbug
07-11-2007, 01:24
In 2002, I purchased a pair of heavy duty Montrail boots for alpine hiking, i.e., above treeline in scree, etc., and for use in seriously twisted, rocky terrain. Since '02, I have had little occassion to use these boots, yet I am planning a week-long section hike of the AT (Virginia), and would like to get these boots broken in once and for all. Each outing, so far, has resulted in mad heel blisters, even though these boots are so very comfortable and seem to fit perfectly in the parking lot.
About how long (how many miles), does it usually take to break in a pair of these heavy duty hikers? I've used them maybe half a dozen times on hikes from 1-8 miles. Any advice on the most comfortable and practical footwear for the AT? Are the Montrails too much? I hate to give up on them just yet, especially since they cost over $200.
:-?

First of all, I wouldn't wear any boot that causes blisters. It has been my experience that boots that cause blisters when they are new will never break in to the point that they are satisfactory for long hikes.

Second, I have a couple of pairs of Montrail heavy duty boots. I love them for hiking in the west where the trails are mostly dry. When I wore them on a section hike in the 100 Mile Wilderness, I found that the sole is slick on wet rock. I fell numerous times because I couldn't keep traction. I now keep my Montrails for hiking in Washington.

I will give you one tip. I had a lot of trouble finding a hiking boot that was really comfortable, until I started wearing two pairs of wool socks from Campmor. The wool socks make all the difference.

minnesotasmith
07-11-2007, 04:22
Including the Whites and Maine. Had a body and pack that were both heavier than average. No break-in was ever needed for the trail runners I used, either.:)

hopefulhiker
07-11-2007, 06:04
I switched from Vasque Sundowners to Montrail Hardrocks in Damascus and used the trail runners the rest of the hike.

Mags
07-11-2007, 10:58
On trails, with light packs esp, heavy duty boots are usually over kill. If they are giving you blisters, why torture yourself?

If you are not quite ready for a trail runner/sneaker, then you may want to switch to a lighter fabric boot.

Good luck!

Grampie
07-11-2007, 13:03
I used a pair of Montrail, AT Hiker boots on my 2001 thru. I never got blisters and the boots lasted the whole trip. I probably had 200 miles on them when I started. I did have them resoled when I flipped from Duncannon.:)

Old Beatnik
07-12-2007, 05:42
Thanks for all the great replies, so far. I very much appreciate the advice!

icemanat95
07-12-2007, 10:13
When hiking in the boots (until they break in), pre-tape the bits of your foot that typically get blistered.

Heavy boots do indeed break in, eventually, but it takes time and effort on your part.

I've never had trouble with Montrail boot soles gripping wet rock, no worse than enything else at any rate. Vibram is great sticky rubber in virtually all of its formulae. I wore Montrail Moraines on my thru and on many subsequent (and previous) hikes. I have loved them without reservations, though I have largely converted to a somewhat lighter boot since.

A question about your insoles...do you use factory insoles or an aftermarket model? I try on boots with the insoles I wear hiking...generally Sore Dawgs Competition models (nice arch support and deep heel cup. Sometimes a mismatch between the footbeds you try on in the stores and the ones you wear in the field is enough that the fit changes a bit. You may need to build up or wear down the heel of the footbed to get your heel recentered in the heel pocket. I used to wear Spenco Hiker footbeds, and they were thickish at the rear, lifting my heel into the top of the pocket where they would wear. I used a sharp knife to shave the heel down a bit on the bottom of the insole, and as the insoles wore, they settled the heel in nicely. The Sore Dawgs are a bit thinner at the heel and need a tiny bit of building up to fit my foot and sock combination.

rswanson
07-12-2007, 11:06
Beatnik,

Everyone has an opinion on this and here's mine: heavy boots are for snowshoeing, extreme low temps, expedition-style mountaineering and that's about it. For trail walking, trail runners & low- or mid-cut hikers are best for fit & comfort.

Now, if you're getting blisters every time you wear them, just ditch them. They might eventually break in but I can tell you this- there is a pair of boots or trail runners out there that won't give you blisters. You just haven't found them yet. Don't risk ruining your trip trying to break the boots in; you'll just end up regretting it. Save that for another time. Wear them around town to break them in. Or eBay em for a few bucks.

If you're worried about cost, just wear a comfortable pair of tennies you already have. They should be fine for a week on AT terrain. Not optimal, but folks have hiked the entire AT in shoes most people buy for street walking.

Creaky
07-12-2007, 17:36
Athletes tend to wear low-cut shoes these days, and get taped to keep their ankles supported. This argues for wearing low-cut trailrunners. Wear a light elasticized ankle brace if you’re worried about sprains, etc.

With regard to how long trailrunners last, most people who run seriously on the roads or on trails find they need to switch out their training shoes somewhere between 300 and 500 miles. The Montrail Vitesses I use for hiking go farther than that, but when they're done they're really cooked.

Given modern shoe technology, I’d expect never to have to break in hiking footwear. I just wouldn’t put up with it anymore. Blisters are the quickest way to spoil a good walk.

Old Beatnik
07-13-2007, 01:34
The good stuff just keeps on coming! Thanks guys....OB

minnesotasmith
07-13-2007, 03:50
[quote=rswanson;379939]Beatnik,

Everyone has an opinion on this and here's mine: heavy boots are for snowshoeing, extreme low temps, expedition-style mountaineering and that's about it. For trail walking, trail runners & low- or mid-cut hikers are best for fit & comfort.

Now, if you're getting blisters every time you wear them, just ditch them. They might eventually break in but I can tell you this- there is a pair of boots or trail runners out there that won't give you blisters. You just haven't found them yet. Don't risk ruining your trip trying to break the boots in; you'll just end up regretting it. Save that for another time. Wear them around town to break them in. quote]:clap

There's no need to put up with blisters. There is perfectly adequate footwear out there that does not give them to you. I wear a EEEE, and Dunham (taken over by New Balance) trailrunners do just fine for me.

Mr. Clean
07-13-2007, 03:53
I'd try wearing them for a few hours everyday during your regular life and see if they don't wear in, but it almost sounds to me that they just aren't the boot for you. I could see wearing heavy boots for the Whites and other very rocky areas, but from what I hear of Virginia, mid-weight hikers should be just fine. If you feel you need a boot and not a trail shoe, like me, I'll mention L.L. Beans mountain treads. I wear them everyday, all day, on cement floors, and they work very well for hiking, too.

Nearly Normal
07-13-2007, 06:00
Good boots.

I switched insoles for superfeet. They need a little breakin time too.
I use these boots for backpacking trips. Not needed for light hikes.
Wear them for everyday use for a couple of weeks to break in.
The only problem I have with them is getting them tied properly. Starting out I need to adjust a couple of times. Good socks help.
These boots help me with the heavier loads of backpacking. I need the added support for all day.

Nearly Normal
aka Pete56

refreeman
07-13-2007, 21:39
For the past 2 years I’ve been wearing Montrail Torre GTX hiking boots. There are excellent, and not too much for the AT. More like perfect for the AT.