PDA

View Full Version : Backpack capacity

earthbound
07-10-2007, 22:50
In the interest of purchasing a backpack, I am wondering what you all think is a good backpack capacity for a thru-hike? I don't want to have to strap lots of stuff to the outside of my pack, but I also don't bring many 'extras.' I'm a relatively light-weight packer.

Johnny Swank
07-10-2007, 23:16
Depends on the volume of your gear of course, but 3,500 cubic inches is about as good a number to start from as any. Knock off a few if you're using high-end down gear, tarp/hammock, etc. Add a bit for synthetic bags, two-person nylon tents, and that sort of thing.

You can also order a Gearskin that'll go from daypack size to HUGE without skipping a beat. They're custom made by Moonbowgear.com, but are under $175 or so.

Appalachian Tater
07-10-2007, 23:22
I'll second what Johnny Swank said about both the volume and the expandable capacity. There are some who thru-hike with very small packs but they do not have the flexibility of going a week without resupply.

earthbound
07-10-2007, 23:34
I'm tried on a variety of packs and I am pretty particular when it comes to having a decent suspension system. I was totally disappointed when the granite gear packs I've tried didn't fit right. One of the few packs that has worked is the gregory jade 50. I would use it, but I am concerned about capacity. the small is at about 3000 and the medium is 3300. I think it was the medium that fit, i honestly forgot. Do you think that might be too small? I am going with high end gear. I get pro-deals on stuff, so I'm pretty careful about what I buy.

Jim Adams
07-11-2007, 00:13
I'm tried on a variety of packs and I am pretty particular when it comes to having a decent suspension system. I was totally disappointed when the granite gear packs I've tried didn't fit right. One of the few packs that has worked is the gregory jade 50. I would use it, but I am concerned about capacity. the small is at about 3000 and the medium is 3300. I think it was the medium that fit, i honestly forgot. Do you think that might be too small? I am going with high end gear. I get pro-deals on stuff, so I'm pretty careful about what I buy.
If you buy and pack smartly, you should be fine with 3300ci.
geek

Peaks
07-11-2007, 08:39
Best advice is to buy all your other gear first, and then go to you local outfitter and try on several backpacks with your gear, food, fuel, and water and see what fits best for you.

Ender
07-11-2007, 08:51
Best advice is to buy all your other gear first, and then go to you local outfitter and try on several backpacks with your gear, food, fuel, and water and see what fits best for you.

I'll second this... get all your other gear first, then you'll know exactly what size pack you need.

Footslogger
07-11-2007, 09:08
If you purchase your backpack first (before assembling all your gear/clothing and basing the decision on that aspect) you may end up with a larger pack than you really need. AND ...if you have excess space in your pack you WILL be tempted to fill it.

'Slogger

superman
07-11-2007, 09:22
I'll second this... get all your other gear first, then you'll know exactly what size pack you need.

As they already said....
The reason is that today you have a lot more options in gear selections to do the same thing. The size and type of shelter you opt for will vary in packed size. It's the same for your sleeping bag and the rest of your gear. If you opt to use a water filter, chemicals or nothing to treat water makes a difference in your pack requirement. At one time it was pretty safe to say that you would need plus or minus 4000 cubic inches but there is no approximate size any more. Folks commonly carried a pack that weighed about 40 lb. I'd guess that the common pack weight has come down substantially. Not that there aren't folks who carry big packs and big weight but they are fewer now. You have to get what's right for you.

Programbo
07-11-2007, 21:51
I will just say that in the past few months I`ve taken like 7 trips up to the trail and have seen a LOT of backpackers go by and the vast majority of them had packs which were to small as they had bunches of gear that traditionally belong inside of a pack hanging all over the outside simply because there was no more room....5000 cu inch sounds good ;) .........Oh and most were either A) Carrying..B) Dragging..or C) Just poking at the ground with their "trekking poles"

Mr. Clean
07-13-2007, 04:07
Take all your gear to the store and see what it will fit into, but only absolutely what you'll need. I have a 4700 ci Gregory Forester that weighs 30 lbs fully loaded with 2 liters of water.

hopefulhiker
07-13-2007, 08:40
I did a four day section hike a while back with a five ounce silnylon pack. The whole thing probably weighed about eighteen pounds..

When thinking about capacity think about how much weight can the pack carry..

I think a good prinicple for a thru hike is to take "just enough" (except for water)

oldbear
07-13-2007, 11:25
I'm not sure that I understand the math here guys: If you take a 3500 cu in bag and lash 2000 cubic inches of gear to the outside of it , you in effect have a 5500 cu.in bag .Don't you ?

JoeHiker
07-13-2007, 11:36
Never underestimate the power of self-deception :-)

sly dog
07-13-2007, 16:30
Why not go larger? The weight of a 4500-5000 pack aint much more then a 3500. If you have extra room just sinch the compression straps. Remember a pack can be used as a suitcase when traveling and ya never know when extra room can come in handy.Also if ya get into winter hiking ya need the extra room!

Mags
07-13-2007, 17:53
Why not go larger? The weight of a 4500-5000 pack aint much more then a 3500. If you have extra room just sinch the compression straps. Remember a pack can be used as a suitcase when traveling and ya never know when extra room can come in handy.Also if ya get into winter hiking ya need the extra room!

I go winter camping. I also have a large pack for winter camping.

I thru-hike and have a smaller pack for thru-hiking (with no gear sticking out)

When traveling, I have an old duffle bag.

Different tasks require a different set of tools..

All those compression straps and cinches tend to add weight to apack.

I third (fourth? fith? sixth? ) the idea of getting your gear first then get a pack.

Just my .05 worth. (Inflation, you see)

Jester2000
07-13-2007, 18:59
I have a 4700 ci Gregory Forester that weighs 30 lbs fully loaded with 2 liters of water.

It's 4700ci and when fully loaded it only weighs 30 lbs.? Does "fully loaded" mean "full?" What do you have in there? A partially inflated woman made of silnylon??

Why not go larger? The weight of a 4500-5000 pack aint much more then a 3500. If you have extra room just sinch the compression straps.

There's no such thing as extra room. You will fill any pack you buy. Big pack equals heavier. Small pack equals lighter. Unless, you know, you fill the smaller pack with lead.

I'm the kind of guy that says go for it. Don't wait to buy the pack. Put some limits on yourself by getting that 3500 ci pack. Start filling it with stuff you "need." Then when the stuff you need doesn't all fit, figure out what you actually need. Then when what you actually need all fits, go out and buy some slightly smaller replacement actually need gear so that you can carry that four square ball. And the Twister mat.

You're awesome. You deserve the pleasure of Four Square and Twister in the woods. But you can fit it all in a non-expedition sized pack.

Good luck!

superman
07-13-2007, 19:35
Many of us in 2000 started of looking like "Joe Poopy the rag man." Our packs were too heavy with all that extra stuff that seemed sooo important. Many of us took turns going through each others packs to see what could be gotten rid of. Some people figured it out for themselves or actually listened to the more experienced long distance hikers. Som,e folks completely re-outfitted with lighter gear. Then there were those who just toughed it out and after they finished then AT they said "you know, that could have been easier with a lighter pack."
If you can cram all your stuff inside your pack it will seem lighter to carry than if the same gear is hanging outside your pack. How you load your pack will also make a big difference in how heavy it feels. It does seem to be human nature to fill a pack whether you need to or not in the beginning. It was only when I got up north that I noticed people who didn't have enough gear in their pack to fill it out.

Programbo
07-13-2007, 20:35
There's no such thing as extra room. You will fill any pack you buy. Big pack equals heavier.

I guess society has lost it`s way after all if people today lack even that basic self control

earthbound
07-14-2007, 01:37
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to wait a bit before i get my pack. The Gregory pack that fits so well is 3050 cu inches. As much as I hate to admit it, I think it might be too small. I don't want it to be and I'm being super careful buying my other gear so that it is really lightweight and fits my needs. Any suggestions? Granite Gear is out- none of them fit, I want to try on the pack, it needs to fit well, and the suspension system has to be excellent. Ideally, under three pounds. Gregory packs fit me really well, osprey is okay. women's pack work better as well. I feel like my ideal pack doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

Mr. Clean
07-14-2007, 03:34
It's 4700ci and when fully loaded it only weighs 30 lbs.? Does "fully loaded" mean "full?" What do you have in there? A partially inflated woman made of silnylon??

Ha ha. Well, I made the mistake of getting a synthetic bag, being worried about getting it wet. That with it being a 20 degree bag means that it takes up about a quarter of my pack. My hammock helps, but I also always carry a warm fleece jacket for here in the Whites and Maine. I'm happy with my gear, but I'm always on the lookout for a 20 degree down bag, if I see a bargain.
So, yeah, she's full of the regular stuff, and one big sleeping bag.

Programbo
07-14-2007, 13:07
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to wait a bit before i get my pack........ Ideally, under three pounds...... I feel like my ideal pack doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

I`m sure it exists but probably lots of people are telling you it`s to heavy...Don`t get caught up in the weight game...If a pack is 2 pounds heavier but has a better suspension system then the weight will feel lighter when you are carrying gear in it.

7Sisters
07-15-2007, 10:01
I agree about not getting caught up in the weight game within reason. Carrying 50 - 60 lbs is a real big pack and I would say unnecessarily heavy. At the end of the day, it comes down to what you need and gaining the experience to understand what you don't need.

I would highly suggest not getting a pack bigger than 3500 CI. The bigger the pack the easier it is to fill it with "stuff". Stuff always seems to add up real quick and lead to a heavy pack. If you keep you pack size moderate, you'll have room for some extras, but will be forced to leave some unnecessary stuff home.

Hope this helps.

Route Step
07-15-2007, 12:46
My external frame pack is completely adjustable and is very comfortable with weight in it. The down side is it's about 6.5 lbs so I was always about 35 lbs coming out of a town climbing a gap. But I needed the adjustments to fit my back.

Uncle Silly
07-15-2007, 13:44
just to chime in, i ended up with a 2900 cu.in. pack with an excellent suspension system, fit me great. i bought it first, then picked out my gear. for the most part i had plenty of room inside for almost everything (tho when i switched from an inflatable pad to a z-rest i had to lash it on the outside) -- but i was hiking in spring/summer/fall; it would've been tough to cram all my winter gear inside this pack. ymmv.

Jester2000
07-17-2007, 22:08
I guess society has lost it`s way after all if people today lack even that basic self control

Well, I don't know. I mean, it's kind of normal, don't you think? People with big houses end up owning more stuff that people with smaller houses. Rare is the person who has an enormous living room with one chair in it. And in any case, most packs are designed to ride best when full.

So to sum up, earthbound's perfect pack is made by ULA. Even though I don't know earthbound at all, I can sense it. ULA. With a pocket on the outside for the Twister mat.

amigo
07-17-2007, 23:43
Hold on there, Earthbound, you've already found your ideal pack. You said it yourself -- it's the Gregory that "fits so well" that has a 3050 cu. inch capacity.

What you haven't found yet is your ideal gear to go into that ideal pack. That's what you need to work on.

My suggestion: draw up a weight budget. Allow 2.5 pounds for each of five categories: shelter, sleeping system, pack, clothing, and "everything else" (cooking, eating, personal gear, emergency, first aid, journal, maps, etc). Hopefully the Gregory is close to the budgeted weight. This gear will theoretically total 12.5 pounds. Then you can, if you like, add a pound or two of luxury items, like a camera, camp sandals, paperback, whatever. You will find that this gear will then easily fit into the Gregory.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I started backpacking in the 1960s (I was a baby, all right?) I typically carried about 25 pounds. Weights began to shoot up in the mid-1970s and my pack weight climbed a little, also, to about 30 pounds. Then in the late 1990s I gave up carrying a Coleman Peak1 stove and some other unnecessary and heavy gear, and my pack weight went down to 23-25. Then in 2003, a guy who ended up in my hiking party introduced me to the ultralight concept. His gear was so much better, comfortable, and functional than mine, and his pack weight was less than 15 pounds. I quickly began my downward slide to about 8.5-10.5 pounds (plus usually 12-16 oz of luxury items).

I can honestly tell you that in 38-39 years of backpacking, I have never slept drier, warmer, or more comfortable than I do now. And my lower back, shoulders, and feet thank me constantly. My gear is not just much lighter (which is a comfort factor in and of itself) but it's also better in every way.

Jester2000
07-18-2007, 00:32
Amigo, I like your style.

sly dog
07-18-2007, 10:11
Use your own judgement, some of us need to go lite and some of us dont. I do admit i do carry a heavy pack as does my brother whom thru hiked last year. My tent is a zeus le 2, i like the extra room and comfort, my pack is a 4 and a half pounder which to some is very heavy and i carry what i want. If i dont want to over stuff i wont carry the lid. Carring a heavy pack never killed me and I like to be comfortable and my pack does distribute the weight perfectly well. I like to ski and i took that into account when buying a pack,extra room for winter hiking and an area to strap my ski equipment.Like i said a heavy pack never bothered me, it only seems heavy when it is not on my back. I know i never thru hiked but like i said, my brother did last year and he could have gone lighter but some of us care more about the adventure and arent hung up on the whole weight issue so those who want to carry a 2900, good for you, i will stick with my 4500.

oruoja
07-18-2007, 17:58
The Atmos 65 I bought works great for summer and I still use my Dana Terraplane for when it gets cold and I carry bulkier stuff. For long sections up here in Vt on the Long Trail I still will use the Dana to avoid long side trips for resupply.

saimyoji
07-18-2007, 18:16
My tent is a zeus le 2, i like the extra room and comfort.

THREAD DRIFT WARNING:

How would you rate this tent overall? I've heard negative things about ventilation/condensation. Details, if you can. Thanks.

feel free to anwer in a PM, or on this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24574

sly dog
07-19-2007, 09:47
I love the tent. I also heard about the condensation issue but that was on the 1st zeus. The zeus le has 4 vents plus the doors. The first model only had the doors as vents and i can see where moisture can build up but the vents on the top and bottom help help out big time. I did a 4 day in 88 and muggy and still no prob. I also used it on a somewhat rainy nite and still, very little if any condensation. The tent is just under 4 and a half pounds and i know that is a bit heavy but i like the room. Two people can easily sleep and hang out inside very comfortably and with 2 doors each has own exit. The vestibules are a bit small if ya want to keep your pack under them but will work or you can put it in the tent with you(more than enough room). I love free standing tents and this one will set up in about a minute to get out of the rain but thats without the pegs, with them add another half minute. They also have the 1 le for slightly less weight.

scope
07-19-2007, 10:15
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to wait a bit before i get my pack. The Gregory pack that fits so well is 3050 cu inches. As much as I hate to admit it, I think it might be too small. I don't want it to be and I'm being super careful buying my other gear so that it is really lightweight and fits my needs. Any suggestions? Granite Gear is out- none of them fit, I want to try on the pack, it needs to fit well, and the suspension system has to be excellent. Ideally, under three pounds. Gregory packs fit me really well, osprey is okay. women's pack work better as well. I feel like my ideal pack doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

All of GGear didn't fit, or just the ones the store had? I had trouble fitting into the Vapor suspension, so I ended up with a Nimbus which is adjustable. Did you try the adjustable and it just didn't feel right?

I concur with Amigo that while 3050 is small volume, you have the opportunity to match your gear to the pack, which I think is perfectly fine to do, but you have to be careful about thinking of everything (like your volume for food and personal stuff and water). Doing it this way will force you to get very lightweight gear AND keep you from adding stuff that you think you need but probably don't.

dperry
07-23-2007, 22:10
I love the tent. I also heard about the condensation issue but that was on the 1st zeus. The zeus le has 4 vents plus the doors. The first model only had the doors as vents and i can see where moisture can build up but the vents on the top and bottom help help out big time. I did a 4 day in 88 and muggy and still no prob. I also used it on a somewhat rainy nite and still, very little if any condensation. The tent is just under 4 and a half pounds and i know that is a bit heavy but i like the room. Two people can easily sleep and hang out inside very comfortably and with 2 doors each has own exit. The vestibules are a bit small if ya want to keep your pack under them but will work or you can put it in the tent with you(more than enough room). I love free standing tents and this one will set up in about a minute to get out of the rain but thats without the pegs, with them add another half minute. They also have the 1 le for slightly less weight.

Had a bit more trouble than you did with the condensation, but in fairness, of the two nights we've used it so far, one was VERY muggy and the other was rainy. And it never got drippy. Plus, we haven't quite gotten the hang of keeping the vestibule doors rolled up. Agree with you on all other aspects. The weight is actually a hair under four pounds even, which for two people is fine. We rookies had no trouble getting it set up quickly (even with the stakes) on a rainy night. Plenty of room inside for stuff (and iwith a gear loft there would be even more.) as well as for my 6'4" frame. The one thing I haven't tested yet is its stability in strong winds. The instructions recommend extra stakes and guy lines when you have a good blow.

It should also be noted that Eureka has discontinued this model (it isn't listed on their website, anyway.) The Zeus 2 Classic is slightly bigger, but has only one door, in the short end of the tent, which strikes me as less convenient. However, the vents are on the long sides of the tent, which may help with the condensation. Overall, though, I'd have to say it doesn't look as good as the LE does. The LE is still available at Campmor for $110, which is a pretty good deal.