PDA

View Full Version : A Noob Fisherman...

Passionphish
07-11-2007, 06:07
That's right folks. I've been fishing twice in my entire thirty years. Now my daughter says she wants me to fish with her. Its something she and her Deda do sometimes. So I have to learn to fish.

The point: I live near some great fishing spots. But you have to backpack to them. What kind of gear should I get? I will be fishing on the lake, in rivers, and creeks. I do hope to use this skill for food at some point in the future. So help a guy out. Ultralight fishing equipment for a noob would be?

mudhead
07-11-2007, 06:34
Hard tube to carry pole. Helps to walk with tip behind you when moving around spot to spot. Cheap to start. Ugly Stick, or knockoff will take an insane amount of abuse. Try a bobber about 5ft above your lure while learning to cast and retrieve until you learn how not to snag bottom.

Let her teach you...

Dances with Mice
07-11-2007, 07:36
That's right folks. I've been fishing twice in my entire thirty years. Now my daughter says she wants me to fish with her. Its something she and her Deda do sometimes. So I have to learn to fish.

The point: I live near some great fishing spots. But you have to backpack to them. What kind of gear should I get? I will be fishing on the lake, in rivers, and creeks. I do hope to use this skill for food at some point in the future. So help a guy out. Ultralight fishing equipment for a noob would be?I bought the smallest, lightest spinning reel I could find, a short two-piece spinning rod, and a tiny lure box. A few spoons and spinners in various colors and sizes, some flies, a couple hooks and a bubble for fly or bait casting will get you started. I've had more fun than luck with it. I just rubber band the rod pieces together and slide them vertically into my pack.

Fiddler
07-11-2007, 08:18
For the reel get a closed face spinning reel. They come in all sizes and price ranges. Maybe not quite as professional looking as an open face or a level wind reel, but much easier to learn with, especially for the younger ones.

Heater
07-11-2007, 08:19
The lightest I have is a Penn 4300 SS spinncaster and a Rhino Rod. Real old though.

I would go with the newer 430 SSg reel and an PP48S602 rod.

http://www.pennfishingstore.com/penn-spinfisher-ssg-reels.html

http://www.pennfishingstore.com/penn-pp48s602-rod.html

oops56
07-11-2007, 08:39
Well when i was kid we did not have fishing. Always cut one down but that was mostly for brook fishing. One time we had car antenna for pols put eyes on with thread use safety pins for eyes no reel just wrap one back of handle. The good old days a small fork stick to put the fish one. { Just like huckleberry fin. ]

taildragger
07-11-2007, 10:34
you could also get a telescoping fishing pole and put an open face on it. They are pretty simple to use.

I'd recommend using bobber with jigs, beetle spins, or sassy shads, they tend to catch about anything. And if you can find some worms, grubs, or grasshoppers that always helps. Make sure that you can tie the right knots, it gets really depressing when your a little kid and you lose "the big one" because the knot slipped.

floyd242
07-11-2007, 11:43
I have a 2pc Bass Pro branded ultralite combo called a "Stampede". It was about $20 at Bass Pro. I break it down, tie it together with some xtra line and stuff the whole thing in the side pocket of my backpack. Works fine. Like everyone else says, get a small plastic box and a few 1/16 or 1/8oz rooster tails and a small crawdad or shad looking crank bait and you're all set.

Footslogger
07-11-2007, 11:47
We carry small ultralight poles on virtually all our hikes out here because of the number of mountain lakes (that I might add are generally loaded with trout). Our choice of gear is the telescoping Shakespear with the open bail reel (WalMart). That and a small plastic Q-Tip box full of flies/spinners is all we ever take. The rod collapses down to about 12" give or take and we stick it in one of those narrow cardboard tubes with the plastic end caps.

'Slogger

iliketacos
07-11-2007, 12:26
I agree with the Ugly Stick or the Shakespear recommendation as both are excellent fishing poles for fishing. Also, I would use a spincast system if your daughter is very young but get yourself a spinning reel, unless you want to get yourself and your daughter the same system so you have the same set-up to both learn on. Since your probably going to be fishing for panfish, bass and maybe smaller trout your not going to need a large rod so go with a 2-piece set-up, I would skip the 3 or 4 piece fishing rods as they are probably more ultra-lite then what you need. Ask the guy/gal at the local Walmart/Bass Pro about what's biting in the lakes and what you should be using for bait. Also, get yourself a rod/reel combo, with the reel rated for 4/6/8lb test which is what you need, with a medium to lite action rod for the just in case situation when you get a real lunker on the other end. Get the store to add the line on your reel.

*just a note: Ultra-lite in fishing refers to the action of the rod and line lb. set-up which does not always mean less weight as you and I think of it as it relates to hiking.

If it was me I would start out with a simple slip-bobber set at about 2 to 6 feet and a number 6 or 8 hook with a big fat nightcrawler worm on it, with a 4 or 6 lb test line. Also, get your license and permission to fish the lake you are looking at. I would skip the powerbaits, crankbaits, plastics and other lures until you get an idea of what and where your going to be fishing. Since your fishing with your daughter you can feel completely free to fish with just worms. Google catch and release methods if you have can along with simple hook knots. Also, re-tie your hook after every catch. Since your going to be shore-fishing remember that you will be casting and then sitting-remember that you will need to bring along a lot of patience and answers to a lot of big questions that usually come up when your fishing with kids. You have stumbled onto one of the most rewarding activities in life. Enjoy.

rockrat
07-11-2007, 12:35
Gander Mountain makes a collapsible fishing rod that comes in two different sizes. It comes in a plastic tube, so you won't break it. The rod is graphite, so it is really light for a rod. The reel I would recomend is a Microcast by Shakespeare. It comes in spinning and your standard, easy to use baitcasting reel. I think Walmart sells the rod and reel as a combo for around $18 and the rod from Gander Mountain is $20.00.

Wonder
07-11-2007, 13:00
I have an ultralight w/spinner. I love it, it bearks down to two pieces, and I can strap it to anything. Pulled in some nice ones too!

oldfivetango
07-11-2007, 13:29
From a more practical standpoint it really doesn't matter what
sort of pole and reel get up you use so long as you can carry it.
The important thing is what is going to happen when you get to
"the spot".You are going to get "hung up".By this I mean you will
get hung on the bottom structure and will have to break off your
line in order to get free.So you need to be cognizant of that fact and
be SURE to load your reel with a much stonger line attached to a swivel
and a much lighter line from the swivel to the hook itself so that when
you do "break off" you will have your primary line and swivel still in tow
and merely tie on another shorter piece of leader and hook(or lure) in
order to start over.Also,some sort of hook extraction device to remove
the hook from the fish who swallowed it "hook,line,and sinker" is most
advisable.Lastly,speaking of sinkers-if you use worms or crickets from
a bobber be sure the sinker is heavy enough to make the bobber sit
straight up in the water so you can more readily detect a stike/ aka
"nibble".And take extra hooks of varying sizes.That said,if you were a
real fishin' nut job like those folks from Alabama,Mississippi,and parts of
Louisiana you would just chuck all that gear and "go ticklin" for catfish
with no equipment but your bare hands!You can spot a real "tickler"
usually by the wild look in their eyes and the occasional missing finger
that the snappin turtle got.:D
Oldfivetango

Passionphish
07-11-2007, 16:35
Holy crap!!! Thanks Guys!!!! That is ALOT of info!
To help out, my daughter is ten. And always seems to catch fish. Not sure why it never caught on with me. Again, thank you for the info. I'll be running down to the Walmart or Bass Pro soon.

Those are some great hints "Oldfivetango"!!!

Thanks guys!

Heater
07-11-2007, 16:51
Holy crap!!! Thanks Guys!!!! That is ALOT of info!
To help out, my daughter is ten. And always seems to catch fish. Not sure why it never caught on with me. Again, thank you for the info. I'll be running down to the Walmart or Bass Pro soon.

Those are some great hints "Oldfivetango"!!!

Thanks guys!

I think it's great that your daughter wants you to do this with her. (coulda been ballet or something)

It's not whether or not you catch fish or not. Some of my best memories of my dad were when we were fishing, even when we caught nothing.

leeki pole
07-11-2007, 17:23
That said,if you were a
real fishin' nut job like those folks from Alabama,Mississippi,and parts of
Louisiana you would just chuck all that gear and "go ticklin" for catfish
with no equipment but your bare hands!You can spot a real "tickler"
usually by the wild look in their eyes and the occasional missing finger
that the snappin turtle got.:D
Oldfivetango
Yeah, but we call it grabblin' in Mississippi! Thanks for the compliment!:D

taildragger
07-11-2007, 17:58
Noodling is the only real way to catch fish. Well flatheads at least...

oldfivetango
07-11-2007, 18:32
Yup,ticklin is really for trout and is surely much more in the
way of finesse than noodlin only noodlin is WAY more dangerous
as the noodler runs the risk of being drowned by the big cat.
Feeling out the hole for signs of fresh swept activity is the
key to not getting your finger bitten off is what I hear.
Since watermoccasins could be just about anywhere around
I think I will stick to the spinner and baitcaster.Going tomorrow
with some of my buds as a matter o fact.They aint man enough to
be noodlers neither.:D
Oldfivetango

Wonder
07-11-2007, 18:48
I think it's great that your daughter wants you to do this with her. (coulda been ballet or something)

It's not whether or not you catch fish or not. Some of my best memories of my dad were when we were fishing, even when we caught nothing.

I was raised this way...hunting, fishing, shooting (both pool and skeet)
I think that it made me a little tougher then the other little girls. I had to stand up to the big boys a little eariler then most, but I',m glad I did.
Girls can have as much intrest in outdoor activites as anyone.
Example: When working at the trout farm last summer, I'd say out of 10 little girls 2 didn't want to fish, 5 liked fishing, but not the gross parts, 1 would start to cry when I gutted the fish...leading to a circle of life type talk (one 8 year old swore to vegeterianism then and there) and 2 wanted to gut the fish themselves

It was a great experience for me to see all of that

Passionphish
07-11-2007, 19:56
Yeah... I wanted a son. That was because I was stupid and didn't realize that with a daughter, you get all of the great things of having a girl, easy to get along with kind of heart, that sorta thing. And I get all the cool stuff of having a boy. The running, digging, hiking, camping, biking, fishing, hunting stuff. Man has my opinion been completely turned around. Had I to do it over... I would have PRAYED for a girl!!! She is the best thing that ever happened to me. Hands down.

Except for the wife who brung her of course!!!!!!

leeki pole
07-12-2007, 11:41
I was raised this way...hunting, fishing, shooting (both pool and skeet)
I think that it made me a little tougher then the other little girls. I had to stand up to the big boys a little eariler then most, but I',m glad I did.
Girls can have as much intrest in outdoor activites as anyone.
Example: When working at the trout farm last summer, I'd say out of 10 little girls 2 didn't want to fish, 5 liked fishing, but not the gross parts, 1 would start to cry when I gutted the fish...leading to a circle of life type talk (one 8 year old swore to vegeterianism then and there) and 2 wanted to gut the fish themselves

It was a great experience for me to see all of that
Very true, Wonder. I've got two daughters, they love to fish (they can fillet what they catch, keepers only) and shoot the lights out of a target at 50 yards or clay birds I threw for them. I had a blast teaching them about the outdoors. :D I just wish they hadn't grown up so fast.:rolleyes:

Newb
07-12-2007, 13:29
I actually wrote a short primer on this on my website at TroutWorld.com (http://troutworld.com/?act=article7). Basically, I suggest that you arm yourself with an ultra-light pack rod and some basic artificial lures. When I hike I carry a single jar of powerbait (for trout) and a few generic fishing lures (fake grubs, a fake minnow or two, and some small hooks and sinkers). At the fishing location I keep an eye out for worms or insects that can be used as natural bait. Crickets are GREAT in any situation.

A good loadout for a generic hiking/fishing expedition:

Tackle:

- Dawia mini-spin combo pack rod (http://www.troutlet.com/scripts/prodview.asp?idproduct=152&idaff=1816)
-2 lb. test line on reel.
-1 pack of small hooks (only need 5 to 10 hooks max)
-15 zinc split shot sinkers (lead is bad for the environment)
-selection of artificial grubs and small minnows with a few jig-heads to put them on
- 1 jar of <A href="a href="http://www.troutlet.com/scripts/prodview.asp?idproduct=362&idaff=1816">powerbait if you're after trout
- a few "trout magnet" lures if you're after trout
-Fishing license!
-knowledge of local species and creel limits.

Passionphish
07-15-2007, 08:34
Man thanks!!!

boarstone
07-15-2007, 14:16
equipment: collaspable pole w/spin reel/ 4# test line/ bait for fish, suitable/legal for the area your fishing, type of fish/ snacks, snacks, snacks/bug juice, bug juice... an easy frame of mind...laugh at what you'd normally find yourself swearing at...she doesn't read your mind...it's an outing w/her...take this time to help her have a fine experience...(her fisherman husband may thank-you later)...if she swears--laugh to yourself, (pretend you didn't herar)...remind her it's why it's called fishing and not catching, if she gets frustrated, give her the option of leaving when SHE'S ready, let it be her choice...then take her out for a meal at the end of the day and relax! :)

Dr O
07-16-2007, 01:22
Yeah... I wanted a son. That was because I was stupid and didn't realize that with a daughter, you get all of the great things of having a girl, easy to get along with kind of heart, that sorta thing. And I get all the cool stuff of having a boy. The running, digging, hiking, camping, biking, fishing, hunting stuff. Man has my opinion been completely turned around. Had I to do it over... I would have PRAYED for a girl!!! She is the best thing that ever happened to me. Hands down.

Except for the wife who brung her of course!!!!!!

Heh, I can relate to every word. :)

Daughters rule.