PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Bronner's Soap

J5man
07-11-2007, 11:27
Newbie here, just bought some biodegradable soap at a sporting goods store this morning and the kid at the check out told me about Dr. Bronner's 18 in 1 soap. Stopped by the local natural health food store after that and found a bottle. (Bought the almond scent) Just brushed my teeth with it! (which is one of it's suggested uses!) Anyway, it claims it can be also be used for shampoo, body soap, laundry soap, shaving, aftershave, or just lotion. What has been your experience with it, please share. If all the claims are correct, it must the best thing since sliced bread.
www.drbronner.com (http://www.drbronner.com)

onicoe
07-11-2007, 11:44
i've used doc bronner's in homemade shampoo recipes. which left my hair feeling gunky. i think the main reason is because doc bronners is so concentrated. i've never used it straight up for shampoo tho.

the peppermint liquid soap makes for a great aphid killer tho. [:

there's also a documentary coming out on doc bronner, you guys might enjoy it.
www.magicsoapbox.com/ (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.magicsoapbox.com/)

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 11:51
no soaps are needed for backpacking

Appalachian Tater
07-11-2007, 11:52
Only sheeples use soap.

The Weasel
07-11-2007, 12:11
Great stuff. I found out about it 7 years ago on the trail, and have used it exclusively ever since. Almond is my favorite too, and it also comes in bar form. Whole Foods usually stocks it, as well as co-ops and, I think, Trader Joe's. Check out the web site.

Funny, true story out here: Well known rocker from the Germs was busted a month or so back for testing positive for marijuana after using it. Bronner's hired a lawyer for him and got the charges dismissed. He was in the tank a few days though. So careful with brushing with it!!!

The Weasel

wilconow
07-11-2007, 12:13
Funny, true story out here: Well known rocker from the Germs was busted a month or so back for testing positive for marijuana after using it. Bronner's hired a lawyer for him and got the charges dismissed. He was in the tank a few days though. So careful with brushing with it!!!

http://www.ocweekly.com/news/news/don-bolles-keeps-his-nose-clean/27038/

Marta
07-11-2007, 12:21
I like the peppermint variety. We use the liquid at home as shampoo. We use the bar soap at home for bar soap cleaning. My daughter is sensitive to most cleaning chemicals. She gets a hive-like reaction to detergents. Dr. Bronner's doesn't irritate her skin.

I do carry a tiny bit (1/2 oz.) of liquid Dr. B. with me when I'm hiking. I don't brush my teeth with it but I do use it for washing my clothes by hand, and as shampoo if I'm someplace with a shower that doesn't provide shampoo.

It seems to me that the soap has changed over the years. Back in the day (1970s), it was more viscous. It was hard to use it as shampoo because you couldn't spread it around. Now it seems quite a bit thinner. Has anyone else noticed this change, or am I crazy? (Don't answer that.)

Marta/Five-Leaf

Appalachian Tater
07-11-2007, 12:26
It seems to me that the soap has changed over the years. Back in the day (1970s), it was more viscous. It was hard to use it as shampoo because you couldn't spread it around. Now it seems quite a bit thinner. Has anyone else noticed this change, or am I crazy? (Don't answer that.)

Yes, it got much "runnier" but only in the last few years, since the old guy died and his son took over. They are messing with the formula. I'm not clear if the change in viscosity is due to the different ingredients or if they've just added more water and diluted it.

The new bottle caps are cheap and break easily, too.

Panzer1
07-11-2007, 13:54
Just brushed my teeth with it! (which is one of it's suggested uses!)

I wouldn't brush my teeth with soap.. uuuggg..

anyway EMS now carries it in small bottles, small enough to be practical for the trail..

Panzer

Jack Tarlin
07-11-2007, 14:19
Can't believe nobody's mentioned this, but the best thing you'll get from Dr. B's is the vast amusement provided after you've spent ten minutes trying to read everything on the label.

It is pretty clear that somewhere along the line, the lunch meat fell outtta the good doctor's sandwich.

But he made a pretty mean soap.

For more fun, check out the Bronner Wikipedia article, as well as the "Links." (The Dr. Bronner "Fan Page" website is particularly amusing). Anyway, any product that can be used as a deoderant, douche, and a useful way to clean the chrome on your trailer hitch can't be all bad.

Dr. Emanuel H. Bonner (1908-1997)...........I salute you!!

J5man
07-11-2007, 14:27
Yea, the label looked liked the good doctor was harvesting hemp for more than just his soap products and packaging...........now that you said the soap can be used for a douche too.......well now I have to go brush my teeth again..........this time with Crest!

Johnny Swank
07-11-2007, 14:31
Peppermint rocks - I like getting all tingly.

The Weasel
07-11-2007, 14:53
Actually, the soap is basically pure Castille soap, with some scents. That's the most hypoallergenic of the true soaps.

As for bottle size, buy the large one - quart - and carry a very small "hotel" size shampoo bottle with it. That's enough to get you through probably 2 weeks of hands/face/dishes on the trail, and 1 shower. A little goes a VERY long way. Dr B's bar soap goes even further (no liquid, d'oh!) for the same weight.

The Weasel

Jim Adams
07-11-2007, 23:15
VERY CONCENTRATED!
just use a small drop on your hands or in a pot. it is thinner than it used to be but seems to work just as well. if your hair feels bad after shampooing, you used too much.
geek

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 23:18
no soaps of any kind are needed as you backpack the AT

Panzer1
07-11-2007, 23:39
no soaps of any kind are needed as you backpack the AT

then how do you wash??:eek:

Panzer

refreeman
07-11-2007, 23:45
I think I'll try Dr. Bronner's Soap. Must be good if LW doesn't like it. ;)

aaroniguana
07-12-2007, 00:59
Used it for many years. If you brush or gargle with it, dilute heavily (see the how I got the cheese tattoo thread for more info).

Lone Wolf
07-12-2007, 03:05
then how do you wash??:eek:

Panzer

i wash at a motel, in town. that's how. never at a hostel though. they're disgusting.

Jaybird
07-12-2007, 05:09
Newbie here, just bought some biodegradable soap at a sporting goods store this morning and the kid at the check out told me about Dr. Bronner's ................etc,etc,etc,...................... ..[/URL]

lots o' newbies (me too 7- years ago) carry this (or something similar) ...if youre a THRU-hiker...you'll use it up & never buy anymore...it weighs about 6oz per small bottle.. those ounces add up quick!:D

Good luck with your hike!

Panzer1
07-12-2007, 10:15
i wash at a motel, in town. that's how. never at a hostel though. they're disgusting.

So then you wash like once a week...:D

Panzer

mrc237
07-12-2007, 10:22
Originally Posted by L. Wolf

So then you wash like once a week...:D

Panzer

Thats at home!!!:)

shelterbuilder
07-12-2007, 12:11
Newbie here, just bought some biodegradable soap at a sporting goods store this morning and the kid at the check out told me about Dr. Bronner's 18 in 1 soap. Stopped by the local natural health food store after that and found a bottle. (Bought the almond scent) Just brushed my teeth with it! (which is one of it's suggested uses!) Anyway, it claims it can be also be used for shampoo, body soap, laundry soap, shaving, aftershave, or just lotion. What has been your experience with it, please share. If all the claims are correct, it must the best thing since sliced bread.
www.drbronner.com (http://www.drbronner.com)

It IS the greatest thing since sliced bread! I've carried it for over over 30 years - I use it at home, too. Just a drop or two if you're brushing your teeth or you'll look like a mad dog, foaming at the mouth!:D It cleans hair better than most shampoos, so your hair may comb out and/or feel funny.

I understand that, several years ago, the company tried re-formulating the soap so they could claim that it was "organic" (I guess there's a strict, legal definition for this.); that's why it looks different and seems thinner. It's still good stuff.:banana

Topcat
07-12-2007, 12:21
I saw something on Sundance Channel about the original Dr. Bronner, creator of the famous soap. He was quite the character. Very strong anti communist activist who was continually reporting people to the FBI. It was an interesting show, catch it if you see it on.

D'Artagnan
07-12-2007, 14:58
I use it mostly at home. At first, I thought the price was a little stiff but once I realized how long it lasted, it seemed reasonable enough. I haven't tried anything but the peppermint. Like someone else mentioned, I like the tingle. :D

Appalachian Tater
07-12-2007, 15:18
I use it mostly at home. At first, I thought the price was a little stiff but once I realized how long it lasted, it seemed reasonable enough. I haven't tried anything but the peppermint. Like someone else mentioned, I like the tingle. :D

Sometimes you can pick it up by the gallon on sale. And remember, Dilute! Dilute! Dilute!

UCONNMike
07-12-2007, 16:49

AGREED! nothing is weirder than watchign someone wash up with a wash cloth and soap at teh end of teh night around the shelter. just the thoguht of carryign a grimmy washcloth freaks me out. Do like Wolf says, wash at teh hostel or hotel when you strole thru town. or just go swimming to clean off teh obvious dirt.

But i do love Doc B's soap, I use it as shampoo and soap in the shower (pepermint is graet to wash your body with, but teh tea-tree oil one is great for your face. but all teh flavors are great, I've tryed them all.

Has anyone used it to shave with...or as aftershave? if so, how (ie dilute it or somethign to that effect?)

D'Artagnan
07-12-2007, 16:52
AGREED! nothing is weirder than watchign someone wash up with a wash cloth and soap at teh end of teh night around the shelter. just the thoguht of carryign a grimmy washcloth freaks me out. Do like Wolf says, wash at teh hostel or hotel when you strole thru town. or just go swimming to clean off teh obvious dirt.

But i do love Doc B's soap, I use it as shampoo and soap in the shower (pepermint is graet to wash your body with, but teh tea-tree oil one is great for your face. but all teh flavors are great, I've tryed them all.

Has anyone used it to shave with...or as aftershave? if so, how (ie dilute it or somethign to that effect?)

Is the rule of htumb, "H" before "E" or "C" or somehting like that?? :D:D

The Weasel
07-13-2007, 00:30

But you're not freaked at wearing a grimy face or hands that have been places that germ factories? Those like Wolf and you who choose not to wash are free to make that call, but others who use soap - I really do find Dr B's to be prudent, in a 1 oz bottle - to wash dishes and hands/faces are no more weird for being clean than you for being dirty. HYOH, Mike.

The Weasel

Baum Trigger
07-13-2007, 00:43
Is the rule of htumb, "H" before "E" or "C" or somehting like that?? :D:D

"Non urinat in ventum! ;)" Not even in a rain suit/poncho(?)...it can be so fun tho...

pokeyhontas98
07-13-2007, 02:07
Someone had mentioned that Doc B's soap can be used as a deodorant, is it effective? My husband has tried several natural deodorants but they don't work very well.

Appalachian Tater
07-13-2007, 02:44
Soap and water wash away the bacteria that cause underarm body odor. There is a oil added to the soap, such as peppermint, tea tree, almond, or lavender to provide scent. Bronners is no more effective than any other scented soap and the scent is not especailly long-lasting.

The best way to prevent body odor is to bathe regularly and use an anti-perspirant/deodorant to actually reduce the number of bacteria present. There are some health concerns associated with the use of anti-perspirants containing aluminum compounds but I cannot say with any certainty whether or not these concerns are valid.

I also have found that using Dr. Bronner's in my mouth is unpleasant so I will not use it for toothpaste or mouthwash.

pokeyhontas98
07-13-2007, 02:49
Some folks, like my husband can't use regular deoderants because they can cause severe hyperpigmentation in the axilla area.

Appalachian Tater
07-13-2007, 03:08
Some folks, like my husband can't use regular deoderants because they can cause severe hyperpigmentation in the axilla area.

Perhaps altering the pH on the skin under his arms with vinegar or baking soda (please not both at the same time!) would create a hostile environment for bacteria. A little baby powder might also absorb moisture and alter the environment in his armpits.

Unless he has a severe odor problem, wearing an under-shirt and bathing daily should be sufficient. Other people aren't sniffing his armpits. What he may notice, others may not.

Americans are much more concerned about body odor than many other cultures. I do not think it is an untrue stereotype that the French, for instance, bath less and are less likely to use an antiperspirant and substitute cologne instead. Many South Americans, on the other hand, consider foot powder as essential as underarm deodorant.

Appalachian Tater
07-13-2007, 03:11
Oh, I forgot, an anti-bacterial soap might help as well, but there are definitely health hazards associated with their frequent use. He might consider this for special occasions such as an outdoor wedding in the summertime.

pokeyhontas98
07-13-2007, 03:40
Unless he has a severe odor problem, wearing an under-shirt and bathing daily should be sufficient. Other people aren't sniffing his armpits. What he may notice, others may not.

Americans are much more concerned about body odor than many other cultures. I do not think it is an untrue stereotype that the French, for instance, bath less and are less likely to use an antiperspirant and substitute cologne instead. Many South Americans, on the other hand, consider foot powder as essential as underarm deodorant.

You do raise a good point. However, my husband is the Head Executive Chef at a fine dining restaurant, no matter how often you shower your going to sweat in a hot kitchen. Unfortunately the predominantly American;) patrons might not like a stinky chef mingling with them in the dining room.

Appalachian Tater
07-13-2007, 03:43
Does he get only discoloration or does the texture of the skin change as well?

Appalachian Tater
07-13-2007, 03:49
http://www.drenglish.com/Hypoallergenic_Deodorant.htm

This would make sense--a combination of alcohol to kill the bacteria and baking soda to alter the pH, though it would seem to me to be better to cleanse with alcohol and then apply the baking soday. Alcohol can be irritating, though. It is also better to use the 70% +/- than the 90% +/- alcohol even though it seems counter-intuitive because alcohol cleans better in the presence of a certain amount of water. I don't know the exact proportions, maybe somebody around here is a chemist.

Your husband could also add alcohol to baby-butt wipes and quickly clean under his armpits in the bathroom at work once an evening, maybe at the beginning of the actual meal time.

pokeyhontas98
07-13-2007, 03:52
Mainly discoloration but he does have some slight texture change, which is common with darker skinned folks. The real issue is the itch it causes. His doctor told him to stop using aluminum and highly perfumed deodorants to see if this would take care of the issue. He has tried several organic aluminum free deodorants without much success. I don't want to make it a big issue cause it's not, I just wondered if the Doc B's was effective. I do appreciate the recommendations and concern.

J5man
07-13-2007, 13:49
Mike, just tried shaving with it, and then rubbed on a small amount on my face afterwards as lotion and seemed to work well.

Panzer1
07-13-2007, 20:20
Since Dr. Bronner's is a liquid you will at the minimum have to carry the weight of the bottle. With bar soap you just put it in a small zip lock which will weight less than a bottle.

Panzer