PDA

View Full Version : Address for Whitehouse Landing

sandman
07-11-2007, 16:55
Anyone with snail mail address for Whitehouse Landing? Box 749, Millinocket, ME 04462 didn't work. Appreciate it, thanks, sandman

Jack Tarlin
07-11-2007, 17:01
That's the only real address I know of.....but since they don't accept hiker mail anymore (at least not maildrops) there may be no point in writing them anyway. Try [email protected] or call them at (207) 745-5116, assuming this information is still current.

sandman
07-11-2007, 19:33
thanks Jack. Web address doesn't work either. I had sent them a thanks for helping me last year.
Someone will know? or they won't! sandman

minnesotasmith
07-11-2007, 21:45
was on the right track to consider them lodging, not a hostel. (Thought he went by their prices.) Any real hostel accepts maildrops. In the middle of the 100 Mile Wilderness would have been a great place for a hostel.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 22:00
was on the right track to consider them lodging, not a hostel. (Thought he went by their prices.) Any real hostel accepts maildrops. In the middle of the 100 Mile Wilderness would have been a great place for a hostel.

they're a BUSINESS. a year-round one at that. they don't kiss weenie thru-hiker ***. snowmobilers and hunters spend more $$$ by accident than hikers spend on purpose. they don't whine and snivel either. the owners dad thru-hiked in 98. that's why they offered up their services. i would discontinue services due to unappreciative hikers like you

minnesotasmith
07-11-2007, 22:17
I objectively sized them up for their utility to thruhikers, and on my own hike decided to give them a miss. What was wrong with that?

As an aside, I agree with your assessment of snowmobiler spendthriftiness, from what I know of them from my decade in WI/MN.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 22:25
I objectively sized them up for their utility to thruhikers, and on my own hike decided to give them a miss. What was wrong with that?

As an aside, I agree with your assessment of snowmobiler spendthriftiness, from what I know of them from my decade in WI/MN.

their utility to thru-hikers? MOST of them plead poverty. MOST of them think they're SPECIAL. MOST will find $$ after they snivel. I can't WAIT to open a hostel in Damascus

Skidsteer
07-11-2007, 22:26

It takes a lot of beer to keep a snowmobile running in that kind of windchill.

Appalachian Tater
07-11-2007, 22:27
Hey, L. Wolf, you gonna get up every morning at 5:30 to start cooking the AYCE pancakes, bacon, and sausage for the hikers staying in your hostel? Cool.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 22:28
It takes a lot of beer to keep a snowmobile running.

i put 4000 miles on a sled in vermont one year. didn't drink much beer in the process

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 22:29
Hey, L. Wolf, you gonna get up every morning at 5:30 to start cooking the AYCE pancakes, bacon, and sausage for the hikers staying in your hostel? Cool.

yup. just like kieth. do it for $$$.

minnesotasmith
07-11-2007, 22:41
LW, there are already two there. Why not open one up in some place like Gatlinburg, Troutville, Kent, or Hanover, all of which have none and could use one?

Skidsteer
07-11-2007, 22:45
i put 4000 miles on a sled in vermont one year. didn't drink much beer in the process

That's a lot of cold miles.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 22:51
LW, there are already two there. Why not open one up in some place like Gatlinburg, Troutville, Kent, or Hanover, all of which have none and could use one?

Hostels are NOT needed on the AT. You hikers need to learn how to fend for youselves.

minnesotasmith
07-11-2007, 23:07
Hostels are NOT needed on the AT. You hikers need to learn how to fend for youselves.

Why would you open a business you say is not needed? Sounds like hiking classes...

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 23:11
Why would you open a business you say is not needed? Sounds like hiking classes...

I would NEVER open a business to cater to AT hikers. A total losing proposition. Although Keith.....:D

rickb
07-12-2007, 06:45
Sounds like hiking classes...

Some seem to work.

Those who attend Warren Doyle's class (for independent thru hikers) enjoy a remakably high completion rate.

And of these who complete the AT, most actually thru hike the trail (i.e. walk from one end to the other in a continuous journey).

Most hikers who start with the idea of walking from ME to GA don't get all that far, or end up yellow blazing or bouncing around from section to section.

This is of course not to suggest than hiking 2000 miles is "better" than hiking 500 or 50. Or that a traditional thru hike is in any way superior to a wonderful vacation in the Appalachian Mountains for some people.

It is to suggest that some classes are remarkabley effective in helping some people realize thier goal in walking a continuous path from Springer to Katahdin.

Jack Tarlin
07-12-2007, 07:36
Geez, talk about thread drift.

Nice attempt at trolling, Rick, but we REALLY don't need to talk about Mr. Doyle again today, especially when he has less than nothing to do with the subject at hand, which was how to contact White House Landing in Maine.

Funny thing.....people like Rick are always whining about how Doyle is treated here and all the negative comments. Well, don't intentionally introduce him to threads where there's no need for him to be discussed, and maybe we won't have to talk about him again, eh?

ozt42
07-13-2007, 10:37
I was at WHL a few days ago, they no longer monitor the email address, their cell modem was too unreliable, the website information is about 12 years out of date. They are strictly a spring-fall operation now their season ends around october 15th. They decided mixing hikers and hunters was a bad idea. The reason they don't handle mail drops is beacuse they don't go into town to pick up their mail more than once or twice a month.

veteran
07-13-2007, 15:19
Anyone with snail mail address for Whitehouse Landing? Box 749, Millinocket, ME 04462 didn't work. Appreciate it, thanks, sandman

http://www.mainerec.com/ware3.shtml

Footslogger
07-13-2007, 15:45
I was at WHL a few days ago, they no longer monitor the email address, their cell modem was too unreliable, the website information is about 12 years out of date. They are strictly a spring-fall operation now their season ends around october 15th. They decided mixing hikers and hunters was a bad idea. The reason they don't handle mail drops is beacuse they don't go into town to pick up their mail more than once or twice a month.

======================================

So ...does that mean they'd prefer thru-hiker NOT overnight there ??

Just curious ...

'Slogger

ozt42
07-14-2007, 13:44
Nope, I'd say they are focusing almost exclusively on the hiker crowd now.