PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail Festival

Jack Tarlin
07-11-2007, 18:53
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this here yet, but there will be a celebration of the Long Trail this year in Rutland, VT on 17-19 August. All sorts of talks, presentations, etc. are planned; it looks like a lot of fun.....and this is also the best time of the year to be hiking in Vermont. Hope to see some of you there.

Try http://www.longtrailfestivalvt.com for details, schedule of events, speakers, directions, etc.

wilconow
07-11-2007, 21:33
Why would that time of year be better than fall?

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 21:40
Why would that time of year be better than fall?

yeah really. i lived at the northern terminus for 10 fall/winters and dreamed of hiking then. but i had to work making snow for the folks on VA CA. i totally enjoyed it.;)

wilconow
07-11-2007, 21:47
Lone Wolf, didn't you say you're hiking the Long Trail this summer? I was hoping to run into you last week in VT, but apparently you weren't there.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 22:04
Lone Wolf, didn't you say you're hiking the Long Trail this summer? I was hoping to run into you last week in VT, but apparently you weren't there.

will be hiking out of no. adams 17 july around noon.

DavidNH
07-11-2007, 22:30
yeah it does sound like fun. I am gonna try and get there for at least part of it. Rutland afterall isn't all that far from Concord!

David

Blister
07-18-2007, 14:05
I am very excited about the weekend. I personally know 1/2 of the musicians that will be playing, havn't seen them in a while! I just sent in a presentors form as well for Adventures with Blister along the Continental Divide. Hope to see some other familiar faces as well.

mweinstone
08-10-2007, 19:55
me , stonewall and bag o' tricks are commin. im bringin my good looks.i have no idea what or where were going to but if its trail related, im all in.

Uncle Silly
08-11-2007, 09:23
heading up today (waiting in Damascus on Mala right now) ... see ya up there!

Mad Hatter
08-11-2007, 17:37
:sunFestival schedules- music/speakers are now up on the website -www.longtrailfestivalvt.com. the Festival starts with a 5 pm sidewalk parade on Friday evening with Rutland's own Drum Journeys of the Earth (we are the parade- please be there for that opening ceremony ). We have no idea on the number of attendees but it will be a party none the less. See ya all then and thanks for getting the word out!
Mad Hatter & Ma Budda

mweinstone
08-13-2007, 07:36
i need a ride to bennington by friday sundown. will pay .2156680898 im meeting whitecrow and walking with him a few. then maby hard core.

Jack Tarlin
08-13-2007, 12:02
Matty---

Get in touch with Jester or Trix as I think they're both planning to attend, and will most likely be driving to VT sometime Friday.

pipesmoke
08-13-2007, 15:10
Hey Jack, we are heaed for Rutland Wednesday. If you needed a ride I could swing through Hanover on the way. The fair grounds aren't open till Thur but I'll find somewhere to crash. Pipesmoke and Mrs. Smoke

Jack Tarlin
08-14-2007, 13:11
Pipes--

Thanx for the kind offer; will be heading in on Friday AM with a friend. I'm really looking forward to the weekend; it's starting to look like it'll be a great time. (As to where you could stay, there are some fine campsites just across the highway from the Inn at Long Trail, which is just a few miles from Rutland. Plus you could spend some time in the Inn, which is run by very fine folks).

Jan LiteShoe
08-14-2007, 14:00
I'm packing up to leave right now (let's see, where are those maps...?), and heading out first thing Wednesday morning. An overnight stop at the home of my '03 hiking buddy Itchyfoot, then the final leg to VT.
Looking forward to music and friends.
And cheese. Gotta have it.
:)

Blister
08-15-2007, 12:58
I'll be heading up there leaving N. Woodstock NH friday morning. Looking forward to seeing everybody!!!!

DavidNH
08-16-2007, 14:23
Hey folks,

I will be headed to Rutland possibly as early as Friday Afternoon (only a couple hours trip for me!).

Does anyone know if there are restaurants and /or food vendors at or close to the fairgrounds? If I recall, the fairgrounds are a bit outside of the city of Rutland!

I don't know any of the bands playing. I'm really hoping there will be some good down home folk music!!

I doubt I would have said I would say this last September when I was getting tired of hiking..but I am starting to miss the trail environment and community! The day hikes I have done this summer..I really enjoyed meeting the hikers I met!

Looking forward to Blisters pictures and stories about the CDT!

DavidNH

DavidNH
08-16-2007, 14:27
If some one still is looking for a ride.. if you can get to the bust stop at Concord, NH I'll be happy to offer you a lift from there. Offers open. 3 max non smokers only.

David

oops56
08-16-2007, 15:49
There is going to be food and drinks at the grounds also across the main road is a mac Donald down the road 1/4 mile kfc i be there sat. get my book sign again and her picture for it.

Peaks
08-16-2007, 16:11
Hey folks,

I will be headed to Rutland possibly as early as Friday Afternoon (only a couple hours trip for me!).

Does anyone know if there are restaurants and /or food vendors at or close to the fairgrounds? If I recall, the fairgrounds are a bit outside of the city of Rutland!

I don't know any of the bands playing. I'm really hoping there will be some good down home folk music!!

I doubt I would have said I would say this last September when I was getting tired of hiking..but I am starting to miss the trail environment and community! The day hikes I have done this summer..I really enjoyed meeting the hikers I met!

Looking forward to Blisters pictures and stories about the CDT!

DavidNH

The fairgrounds are just south on the downtown area on US 7, the major north south route. (between Route 4 east out of Rutland and Route 3 west out of Rutland. Just south of the fairgrounds is a good strip of hotels and places to eat.

Landshark
08-16-2007, 16:25
I have to say congrats to the Festival planners, it has gone from "Some people are going to be doing some sort of festival, something to do with the long trail, some time next year" to being The topic on the street in just a few months! I can't wait to see it all come together. Unfortunately I will miss a chunk of it due to a wedding shower (since I'm in the wedding, I guess I can't skip out on this one). The music line-up looks great. Have fun everyone, and welcome to Rutland!

mweinstone
08-20-2007, 08:18
the long trail festival, or " trail days lite " , as its known, was a smashing success! we had fun and sun and freinds and freedom. we had thruhikers like white crow here. and we had next years class of thruhikers, like johnney thunder here. time was had, greatness was applyied. baltimore jack tarlin was so good to hang with as was mala and uncle silly and bag o' tricks and hillwalker and pike county and we even had scary gary. garys a member of the twelve tribes now. he wears the short ponytail the men of this group wear. so hes not too scary these perticular days. we'll look to see more scaryness later maby. but for now hes in the tribe. the twelve tribes must be appreciated i guess. in other news, bobcat is great and shuttled alot of hikers as did johnney thunder and others. the fun was large and the success of the firts festival was sure. this is bound to be a big fav in the seasons to come. we had the most wonderful time to a one . no trouble. no cops or cop actions. no pissed off towns folk. no graffiti in the bathrooms. just mature hikers funning by the hundreds. traildays should be ashamed of itself. the trouble was, to many no pro hikers. this groupe we had in rutland was very well behavied. and we drank just as much and partyed as hard as the traildays kids, just not as sloppely. no thefts, overdoses, or arrests. just fun and behavior.

Lone Wolf
08-20-2007, 08:22
no trouble. no cops or cop actions. no pissed off towns folk. no graffiti in the bathrooms. just mature hikers funning by the hundreds. traildays should be ashamed of itself. the trouble was, to many no pro hikers. this groupe we had in rutland was very well behavied. and we drank just as much and partyed as hard as the traildays kids, just not as sloppely. no thefts, overdoses, or arrests. just fun and behavior.

give it time. things will change

mweinstone
08-20-2007, 08:55
jester is good. bag o' tricks is better. together, they tease, chide, insult loveingly and nudge dummys. we need about a dozen of each. tricks wont let down his irish pride for long enough for me to do some nice magic for him. hes too proud and he only wants to give, never take. how annoying for someone like me whos a compulsive gifter. jester looks at me sideways sometimes. is cause he was raised all right and stuff. hes interseted in how i got this far in life i think when he studys my weirdness. you see jester, im weird . not the plain old weird you learned about in school as a kid. im a professional weirdo. i study and practice and stay up late doing faces in the mirror. all in preperation for weirding out nice folks like yourself. love me dude. love me like a rock. its the only way out...........?

StarLyte
08-20-2007, 09:03
Matty....

Thanks for the posts and pics as usual! :sun

I had my pick, drive in for $400 or fly in for $500 :cool: So I passed this year, now I regret it. Car pool? From Cleveland? No one lives around here except Big Red, Skeemer and Missing Kink. There's a few others stragglers way out of the area, Redneck is down in Columbus and there's plenty in the Queen City.

Next year. We'll rent a school bus.

See you all soon at the Gathering. It's going to be great one.

Johnny Thunder
08-20-2007, 09:38
...maybe it was the Knobb Creek...

(that has my gear/car/person smelling like Whiskey)

Johnny

Blue Jay
08-20-2007, 14:23
this groupe we had in rutland was very well behavied. and we drank just as much and partyed as hard as the traildays kids, just not as sloppely. no thefts, overdoses, or arrests. just fun and behavior.

Part of the reason for this is the extremely high quality of the thrus who made it all the way to Rutland. Another part is the amazing job all of the organizers did, the bands were unbelievable, the place was just about perfect and there were sooo very many "responsible" (sorry to insult some of you trash) people there it would have been very hard for anyone to cause much trouble. I'm almost sure that every single person there, hiker or not had a wonderful time. Thankyouthankyouthankyou

mweinstone
08-20-2007, 19:28
vermont seems to be a place where folks fix stuff up nice, and it stays that way. its beautiful. and no billboards acording to cammo. walking to bennington , we stopped to graze. then we stopped. then we reverse grazed, if you know what i mean. blueberries are a cruel and beautifull mistress. everyone who knows, knows you never eat more than a litre. silly crow, should have listened to my berry warning i stated over and over as his collecting bucket never got the bottom covered yet he was denuting hectars of good berry.

camojack
08-20-2007, 19:33
vermont seems to be a place where folks fix stuff up nice, and it stays that way. its beautiful. and no billboards acording to cammo.

"According to"...heh, well, did you see any billboards while you were there?! :confused:

:banana :eek: :-?

rickb
08-20-2007, 19:37
"According to"...heh, well, did you see any billboards while you were there?! :confused:

:banana :eek: :-?

Perhaps, but if you drove a few miles north of the fairgrounds you would have seen a good sbstitute.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/sights/sightstory.php?tip_AttrId=%3D11913

camojack
08-20-2007, 19:39
Perhaps, but if you drove a few miles north of the fairgrounds you would have seen a good sbstitute.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/sights/sightstory.php?tip_AttrId=%3D11913

'At ain't no stinkin' billboard! It is an eyesore, though... :eek:

mweinstone
08-20-2007, 19:40
festival bound, a dozen or more thruhikers walked into dalton vt from the north and south. to toms house they went. and then on to an all you can eat chinnese buffet dinner. toms house is spectacular. he is great. we love him. that is all you can say about a man who has housed hikers for fifteen years and wont take money or work. and is a cool ex government spy with lots of ray guns and storys of the illuminade and how he was the spy the movies james bond were based on! i love tom!

Jester2000
08-20-2007, 19:44
Just wanted to drop a line here and say thanks to those who organized and ran the festival. The music was amazing, there were quite a few current year hikers (AT and Long Trail) who made it, the scheduled events were great (especially the LNT, presentation, done at the last minute by a strikingly handsome hiker), and everything went smoothly.

A lot of fun. Can't wait for the next one, and can't wait until twenty years from now, when I can go on and on about being at the first one, and how all of the irresponsible hikers and corporate sponsorships have ruined it for everyone. . .yes, this past weekend will be one of the good old days.

See you all at the Gathering!

mweinstone
08-20-2007, 19:54
up on harmon hill, near the start of the long trail, crow has only 557 mi to go! we walked another 1.7 to the road and the thundercat. then off to rutland to give these hikers a time!
note: ramble ons bro is c shot and is right up against the sign in this pic. what a joy to meet and hike with rambles bro. also go to speak with pike countys bro over my cell after we shuttled them to a different point. his bro called back after pike left the car to tell him the town his package will be in. johnney? little help? forgot the town, but he will know.

mweinstone
08-20-2007, 20:20
everyone in this pic seems to be blabbing in a different direction.are chomp and vsa the only ones listening? or are they studying our freakish behavior. at the time , i was tossing raw meat to the hungry thruhikers and they were a little high on kreatine.
this was only the area in in front of me. to have this many folks i love this close around is a wonderful thing. it really is.the government is working secretly on a machine to gather good vibes and use them against attacking enemys. they may be gathering our vibe even as this pic was took!
what?....nobody else saw the tubalike saucer hovering overhead?

mweinstone
08-20-2007, 20:31
the dude was in shape and feeling good. jones headed back to school after the festival . i love jones and the dude.
you never write or say, the dude and jones. its jones and the dude. be very clear about this. very clear. stonewall smiles, his shirt glows, and another morning is anounced.

Johnny Thunder
08-20-2007, 21:30
up on harmon hill, near the start of the long trail, crow has only 557 mi to go! we walked another 1.7 to the road and the thundercat. then off to rutland to give these hikers a time!
note: ramble ons bro is c shot and is right up against the sign in this pic. what a joy to meet and hike with rambles bro. also go to speak with pike countys bro over my cell after we shuttled them to a different point. his bro called back after pike left the car to tell him the town his package will be in. johnney? little help? forgot the town, but he will know.

In the open post offices of...

West Hartford
New Hartford
Olde Hartford
Hartford
North Hartford
South Hartford
East Hartford

...Resides Pike County's package.

Johnny

Jimmers
08-21-2007, 01:10
Just wanted to echo Jester's post and thank everyone involved for a truly great time. I especially want to thank Matthewski for his services as our personal chef Saturday evening. I had no idea you could cook steak on an alcohol burning stove. It was awesome!:D

camojack
08-21-2007, 01:27
I especially want to thank Matthewski for his services as our personal chef Saturday evening. I had no idea you could cook steak on an alcohol burning stove. It was awesome!:D

Matt's an excellent trail cook... :p

Wonder
08-21-2007, 09:06
WOw...I love the pics. Thanks for the phone calls, even though it was my answering machine. I got back from philly, and was just filled with love when I heard from my hiking family. I miss you all!

mweinstone
08-21-2007, 09:56
dreamer, who causes alot of male stir when she thruhikes by. and rick perrigrine mckinney. he sold out of his book, dead men hike no trails. hes great!

mweinstone
08-21-2007, 10:03
bobcat and jester share a cig after feild stripping there gear.
pike county wakes up in vsa's silk undys and acts like he dosnt know what happened.

mweinstone
08-21-2007, 10:11
jack and lumpy and bobcat the great! jack is lumpy and lumpy is lumpy and bobcats middle initial is f.

mweinstone
08-21-2007, 10:15
why the twelve tribes helped out is important.

the end. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxomat

Lion King
08-21-2007, 15:30
Wish I could have maed it!

With love from Ohio on the Overgrown-unmaintained Buckeye trail

Mad Hatter
08-22-2007, 07:13
I want to thank everyone from the hiking community who made it "to" the festival and is so doing made "it" a festival. Special thanks to the folks who stepped in and helped out with presentations, the feed back I got on them was all great, you guys are fabulous. Sorry I didn't get a chance to touch down with you before you left. The Hard-Core was a hugh success, as in Damascas, the crew completed more work than expected, in less time, and the GMC leader was very impressed by the professional way the work was done. As mentioned earlier on this board "Bob Peoples would be proud".
Thanks Again, and mark your calendars for next year.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter
08-22-2007, 07:16
Oh yeah, Lion King, "Walking with Freedom" drew the largest audience on the day it was shown.

Hatter

TJ aka Teej
08-22-2007, 07:37
mark your calendars for next year.

Mad Hatter
Flash and I were only there a few hours but we had a great time!
Next year we'll have to pitch a tent:D

Lion King
08-22-2007, 13:29
Oh yeah, Lion King, "Walking with Freedom" drew the largest audience on the day it was shown.

Hatter

DANG IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I really wish I had been there!

I miss all those people, what a great crowd to have in attendance...

Big thanks to everyone for putting this on, Ruthland is an awesome place anywho, and I look forward to next year...if I can finish this thing by then....

Jan LiteShoe
08-22-2007, 19:00
Just got back from the long two-day drive from Vermont and wanted to triple-echo the comments here; folks, space, mountains, good music.

Rutland reminds me of Asheville 15 years ago, a charming, funky town with a real downtown, ringed with mountains. Wayne (Mad Hatter) and kathy (Ma Buddha) should be justly proud of this baby they birthed.

By the way, I heard that when the keys to the State Fairgrounds were returned to the supervisor, he said the place was the cleanest they'd ever had it returned. Way to go, hikers! Leave no trace.

mweinstone
08-27-2007, 14:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3385k-pQT0

Cookerhiker
09-01-2007, 09:51
Didn't expect to attend the Fest but decided to come rather than hike up Mt. Abraham in the rain. Great time!

Back to the Long Trail. (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=203335) 60% done!