PDA

View Full Version : Rusty's Hard Time Hollow Closed?

thestin
07-11-2007, 21:32
Posted today on trailplace.com

"After 25 years of serving hikers, Rusty is closing the hollow to new hikers for good as of June 7, 2007."

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 21:35
Posted today on trailplace.com

"After 25 years of serving hikers, Rusty is closing the hollow to new hikers for good as of June 7, 2007."

old news. won't be missed

thestin
07-11-2007, 21:51
You could be right. There were some threads in the past few weeks about Rusty complaining that people weren't visiting.

I understand he's open and closed his home to hikers several times.

Miss Janet
07-11-2007, 21:54
I was at Rusty's a few weeks ago and had a nice visit with him and Pirate... NOTHING was said about closing. He was just disappointed in a lower than usual number of hikers. Recently trailplace reported that I had closed... correct... but when I asked to have the posting clarified HE wouldn't do it.

thestin
07-11-2007, 21:58
Thanks for the info, Miss Janet. I have found info here to be much more reliable, mainly because people here are actually on the trail on a regular basis.

minnesotasmith
07-11-2007, 21:59
If he'd moved to within 3/4 mile of the Trail, or at least to along a road that crosses the trail that gets enough traffic to make hitching not too tough, that would have upped his traffic. He's been at this for years, and had to have known the score.

Pokey2006
07-12-2007, 00:46
It would help, too, if people actually knew where his place was ahead of time. I didn't get directions until I was at that shelter right there, the next morning....I said, "sorry, you're too late with the info," and I kept on hiking.

ms doolittle
07-12-2007, 08:29
Diesel just ate there on 7/9/07.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=192546

ms doolittle
07-12-2007, 08:30
Correction. Not sure when Diesel ate there, but he notes that he did in his 7/9 entry. :o

Lone Wolf
07-12-2007, 08:31
You could be right. There were some threads in the past few weeks about Rusty complaining that people weren't visiting.

I understand he's open and closed his home to hikers several times.

rusty is always complaining.

veteran
07-12-2007, 10:32
It would help, too, if people actually knew where his place was ahead of time. I didn't get directions until I was at that shelter right there, the next morning....I said, "sorry, you're too late with the info," and I kept on hiking.

Directions are in the Companion.

MacGyver2005
07-12-2007, 12:17
...He was just disappointed in a lower than usual number of hikers...

I don't know Rusty, and didn't stop there in 2005. However, I think he would have a better turnout if hikers weren't constantly guessing if he is open or closed. He's closed shop so many times that I know when we were on the trail, most conversations about Rusty's involved "I would go, but I don't know if it's open."

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

the goat
07-12-2007, 14:44
rusty was singing the same tune in '01, i'm sure if hikers stop there, they'll have a place to stay. rusty's got nothing else to do anyways.

mambo_tango
07-14-2007, 13:54
I was there June 18th.

Wolfpaw
07-14-2007, 14:11
hi minnesota rusty owns the only property with a driveway on the parkway there is no move. besides if he were to close alumni would always be welcome. paw

Low Rider
12-23-2007, 19:21
Hey everyone! I just talked to Rusty last week and he is definitely open for the 2008 season and thereafter. I thruhiked back in ‘93 and have been friends with him ever since. I try to visit as often as I can but that usually winds up being just a couple times a year.

He first started taking in hikers back in 1982 and has had over 10,000 stop in during their hikes since then. He is one of the, if not the, oldest hostel on the AT still operating. He is in his late 60’s now and it is getting harder for him each year to get all the chores done around the place (if you can pitch in while you are there, it is definitely appreciated!). There have been changes over the years including getting electricity and a telephone, but it is still the same old Hard Time Hollow that you remember (believe me, it is good that he has those things now that he is getting older).

He is a one of a kind and the Hollow is truly a unique place not to be missed. Waynesboro is pretty much like any other big trail town if you need to stop there too (I went to both). And yes, he still takes a Polaroid of each thruhiker that stops in. He still has the photos from all the previous years up on the ceiling or in photo albums, so check ‘em out when you stop by. His driveway comes down off the Blue Ridge Parkway in between mileposts 16 and 17 (mile post 16.7 if it existed :)) Enjoy reading the dozens of funny signs posted on trees while walking down the driveway! happy hiking!!!!

hobojoe
12-26-2007, 19:12
Every year the same story. The way its set up is good. People who are willing to take their time and explore the community of the trail are the ones who make it to rusty's, and they are always richer for the experience.
The best time for hiking is..... Tomorow.
Hobo joe

Lone Wolf
12-26-2007, 19:48
rusty's is hardly a rich experience

Bob McCaw
12-26-2007, 20:34
I've spoken with Rusty recently and he plans to be open for 2008. He does ask for a $20 per night donation now.

Directions to his place are in both the Thru-hiker's Handbook and the Companion. It's a driveway right off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The post on Trailplace mentioned was several months old, and as people have commented, Rusty has been known to change his mind.

Lone Wolf
12-26-2007, 20:37
The post on Trailplace mentioned was several months old, and as people have commented, Rusty has been known to change his mind.

never count on rusty's as a hostel and a place to rest. better to continue to waynesboro

max patch
12-26-2007, 20:59
better to continue to waynesboro

...where ya got weazies for breakfast, a steak house for dinner, and a hotel with a pool if thats in your budget. and boy did that pool feel good.

Jack Tarlin
12-27-2007, 18:04
Not to mention the fabulous and fabled Ming Garden, the best Chinese buffet on/near the Trail (unless you're lucky enough to have Wolf take you to the one in Bristol, TN!)

MOWGLI
12-27-2007, 18:23
Eating Chinese food here in Tennessee or the adjacent states has always made about as much sense to me as seeking out fresh seafood in Kansas. Maybe I spent too much time in Chinatown in NYC.

I did eat at the Chinese food restaurant in Waynesboro. I thought it was OK - I guess. It didn't even warrant a mention in my journal when I talked about taking a zero day in Waynesboro. YMMV.

A-Train
12-28-2007, 18:40
Eating Chinese food here in Tennessee or the adjacent states has always made about as much sense to me as seeking out fresh seafood in Kansas. Maybe I spent too much time in Chinatown in NYC.

I did eat at the Chinese food restaurant in Waynesboro. I thought it was OK - I guess. It didn't even warrant a mention in my journal when I talked about taking a zero day in Waynesboro. YMMV.

I'm with ya. I don't eat Chinese food outside of cities for the most part. Besides hearing Jack rave about this place many times, frankly I've never heard another thru-hiker mention it, let alone rave about it. You know the owners or something Jack??

Pedaling Fool
12-28-2007, 18:57
I ate at a Chinese resturant in one town, forgot which one, and it was run by Caucasians; that should have been my que to get the hell out of there, but I sat down....it was a mistake. White people can't do Chinese.

weary
12-28-2007, 19:43
I ate at a Chinese resturant in one town, forgot which one, and it was run by Caucasians; that should have been my que to get the hell out of there, but I sat down....it was a mistake. White people can't do Chinese.
I'm white -- well mostly -- and I can do Chinese as well as anyone in Maine. Hmmm. Now that I think about it, that's not much of a brag, is it?

Lone Wolf
12-29-2007, 10:00
I can do Chinese as well as anyone in Maine.

what exactly does that mean? :-?

weary
12-29-2007, 11:01
what exactly does that mean? :-?
It means I'm pretty good at stir frying concoctions and adding sauces from the chinese food section of the local supermarket.

I get a good bed of hot wood coals in my antique kitchen range, insert a wok in place of one of the covers, and add what ever meats and veggies I have on hand, or that strike me as making an interesting medley.

Weary

sherrill
12-29-2007, 12:09
I wish I had taken a pic of it, but oh well, and this is no lie. Near my wife's school was a strip mall with a pet store, a vet office, and a chinese restaurant all next to each other (in that order).

Jack Tarlin
12-29-2007, 16:43
A-Train:

Nope, I don't know the owners, tho everyone who works there is really friendly; plus they welcome hikers, which a lot of places don't.

If anyone out there can think of a better Chinese buffet on or near the Trail, they're most welcome to tell us about it.

Nean
12-29-2007, 16:58
I would not feel safe about telling many a young hiker to visit Rustys,:( even if it wasn't a 3 mile walk off the trail or 20$. It could be on the trail and free and I'd say keep going!:-? I've been knowing the guy since 89 and I feel very strongly that the trail is a better place w/o him and his drama, etc. etc.:eek: Of ALL the people I've met--- in all the YEARS I've spent on the various trails, NONE rate lower than Rusty.:confused:

I feel an obligation to warn hikers: STAY AWAY!!

Lone Wolf
12-29-2007, 17:00
I would not feel safe about telling many a young hiker to visit Rustys,:( even if it wasn't a 3 mile walk off the trail or 20$. It could be on the trail and free and I'd say keep going!:-? I've been knowing the guy since 89 and I feel very strongly that the trail is a better place w/o him and his drama, etc. etc.:eek: Of ALL the people I've met--- in all the YEARS I've spent on the various trails, NONE rate lower than Rusty.:confused:

i agree

MOWGLI
12-29-2007, 18:21
A-Train:

Nope, I don't know the owners, tho everyone who works there is really friendly; plus they welcome hikers, which a lot of places don't.

If anyone out there can think of a better Chinese buffet on or near the Trail, they're most welcome to tell us about it.\

Chinese buffets in general suck IMO. Order what you want and pay for it. That's what I always do. The beauty of Chinese is that the portions are almost always too big. Perfect for the thru-hiker! Vernon, NJ has a decent Chinese restaurant. So does Warwick, NY and Monroe, NY. Monroe is a bit off the beaten path though.

Just a Hiker
12-29-2007, 18:36
A-Train:

If anyone out there can think of a better Chinese buffet on or near the Trail, they're most welcome to tell us about it.

The Chinese place that sticks out in my mind is the Chinese place in Downtown Rutland, VT. Great food and they didn't seem to mind how bad I smelled. I would have showered first, but thats a story for a Humor thread.

Jack Tarlin
12-29-2007, 18:54
Perfect for the thru-hiker?

Geez, I beg to differ.

I can go to a non-buffet, and order my favorite, six fried dumplings and a coke.

For about $6.99

Or I can go to a buffet like the Ming Garden, have about a dozen dumplings; a full portion of General Tse's chicken; hot and sour soup; a double portion of bonless ribs; a plate of crab rangoon......for starters.

Oh, plus the appetizer consists of about a pound of peel your own shrimp.

The cost:

$6.99.

Tell ya what, Mowgli, you do it your way and I'll stick to mine. :D

mudhead
12-29-2007, 19:04

Covers it for me.

Chinese food now...

The buffets are grease fests. I grew up with Joyce Chen in the cupboard. Never had "stir-fry" until about '90.

You have never had good grubbing until you have had a meal concocted by an oriental gal who is trying to impress her friends.

weary
12-29-2007, 19:12
.....Of ALL the people I've met--- in all the YEARS I've spent on the various trails, NONE rate lower than Rusty.:confused:
Blanket condemnation, without explanation, is irresponsible in my opinion. Rusty's has been praised by thousands of hikers over the years. It was easily the most recommended and most praised hostel in 1993.

I spent 3 or 4 nights there around Fourth of July weekend on my walk north. There were 30 or so other hikers there at the time. No one, male or female, complained to me about Rusty with one exception -- a thru hiker who had been denied a stay threre because Rusty sensed he was not a true thru hiker.

Rusty was wrong. The guy in fact was the most dedicated white blaze worshipping guy I met on the trail. But that proves that Rusty is fallible. Not that he is evil.

I suspect the condemnation probably stems from the pictures he occasionally took of young men and women that some may find offensive. Rusty posted them on the walls of his hostel. But all were posed. All were public. I don't have a clue as to who instigated the photos. But neither do I think it matters. Everyone there was well above the age of consent.

Weary

Lone Wolf
12-29-2007, 19:20
Blanket condemnation, without explanation, is irresponsible in my opinion. Rusty's has been praised by thousands of hikers over the years. It was easily the most recommended and most praised hostel in 1993.

I spent 3 or 4 nights there around Fourth of July weekend on my walk north. There were 30 or so other hikers there at the time. No one, male or female, complained to me about Rusty with one exception -- a thru hiker who had been denied a stay threre because Rusty sensed he was not a true thru hiker.

Rusty was wrong. The guy in fact was the most dedicated white blaze worshipping guy I met on the trail. But that proves that Rusty is fallible. Not that he is evil.

I suspect the condemnation probably stems from the pictures he occasionally took of young men and women that some may find offensive. Rusty posted them on the walls of his hostel. But all were posed. All were public. I don't have a clue as to who instigated the photos. But neither do I think it matters. Everyone there was well above the age of consent.

Weary

you were there once, 14 years ago. there's a lot you don't know

Alligator
12-29-2007, 20:56
\

Chinese buffets in general suck IMO. Order what you want and pay for it. That's what I always do. The beauty of Chinese is that the portions are almost always too big. Perfect for the thru-hiker! Vernon, NJ has a decent Chinese restaurant. So does Warwick, NY and Monroe, NY. Monroe is a bit off the beaten path though.I enjoyed the Chinese restaurant in Palmerton.

MOWGLI
12-29-2007, 23:01
Perfect for the thru-hiker?

Geez, I beg to differ.

I can go to a non-buffet, and order my favorite, six fried dumplings and a coke.

For about $6.99

Or I can go to a buffet like the Ming Garden, have about a dozen dumplings; a full portion of General Tse's chicken; hot and sour soup; a double portion of bonless ribs; a plate of crab rangoon......for starters.

Oh, plus the appetizer consists of about a pound of peel your own shrimp.

The cost:

$6.99.

Tell ya what, Mowgli, you do it your way and I'll stick to mine. :D

That's the beauty of the AT experience!

Happy New Year Jack.

Yahtzee
12-30-2007, 00:23
you were there once, 14 years ago. there's a lot you don't know

If there is something hikers should know, why not tell them? Or, could they possibly make up their minds for themselves?

Whether he is open or not, I hope he is healthy and happy.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2007, 02:58
caveat emptor is all

Bearpaw
12-30-2007, 12:02

I really enjoyed the Chinese Buffet in Gorham, NH. I ate there twice while I was staying at the Barn. It was good enough that it DID make it into my journal.

MOWGLI
12-30-2007, 12:20
I really enjoyed the Chinese Buffet in Gorham, NH. I ate there twice while I was staying at the Barn. It was good enough that it DID make it into my journal.

I wish I'd eaten there. I think I got food poisoning in Gorham from a Diner. Or maybe it was just a bug. The illness made it into my journal - for several days.

SGT Rock
12-30-2007, 12:22
I remember reading that. Seems like you had a hard time of it around Mahoosuc Notch

Chache
12-30-2007, 12:23
I wish I had taken a pic of it, but oh well, and this is no lie. Near my wife's school was a strip mall with a pet store, a vet office, and a chinese restaurant all next to each other (in that order).
Sounds like the old TACO CYCLE

Blue Jay
12-30-2007, 13:39
I'm with ya. I don't eat Chinese food outside of cities for the most part. Besides hearing Jack rave about this place many times, frankly I've never heard another thru-hiker mention it, let alone rave about it. You know the owners or something Jack??

Now you all know how much I hate to agree with Jack, however he is completely correct about this one.

Appalachian Tater
12-30-2007, 21:07
None of the Chinese food on the A.T. is very authentic, but the buffets really hit the spot. That kind of Chinese has a lot of fat, salt, sugar, a selection of all kinds of meat, poultry, vegetables, fruit, and unlimited soda--everything a hiker craves, in unlimited quantities.

OregonHiker
12-30-2007, 21:12
None of the Chinese food on the A.T. is very authentic, but the buffets really hit the spot. That kind of Chinese has a lot of fat, salt, sugar, a selection of all kinds of meat, poultry, vegetables, fruit, and unlimited soda--everything a hiker craves, in unlimited quantities.

Most chinese food in the US is not authentic and has a regional "twist". When we lived in western MA chicken fingers were popular. Deep fried and battered strips of breast meat. You should have seen the look on the chinese waiters face when we asked for them in NY north of NYC.

"chicken don't have fingers" he said as he held up his hands and wiggled his fingers.

Priceless!

rickb
12-30-2007, 21:21
I have it on good authority that in Beijing they actually eat Chinese food for breakfast!

MOWGLI
12-30-2007, 21:22
I have it on good authority that in Beijing they actually eat Chinese food for breakfast!

That and soot.

Skyline
12-30-2007, 21:31
I enjoyed the Chinese buffet in Franklin, NC. Three times. Is it still there? It was in a shopping center--I think the one with Ingles Super Market, or maybe it was Wal-Mart. Gee the years have a way of working on the memory.

SGT Rock
12-30-2007, 22:58
So in China do they have authentic American style cuisine? Some old fat hillbilly in front of a grill saying "What's it gonna be? Hot dog or hamburger?"

Smile
12-30-2007, 23:02
There's a business waiting to happen..... :)

OregonHiker
12-30-2007, 23:04
So in China do they have authentic American style cuisine? Some old fat hillbilly in front of a grill saying "What's it gonna be? Hot dog or hamburger?"

yea..."You want fries with your Big Mac?"

rafe
12-30-2007, 23:33

Or John Belushi going, "Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger!"

SGT Rock
12-30-2007, 23:34
That would be a greek resturaunt ;)

weary
12-31-2007, 00:02
Nah! That's silly. The Chinese are too wise to eat Chinese food for breakfast, aren't they.

I mean. Come on. Do you really mean they don't eat good old American ramen noodles for breakfast? Unbelievable!!!

WEary

Montego
12-31-2007, 00:05
Nah! That's silly. The Chinese are too wise to eat Chinese food for breakfast, aren't they.

I mean. Come on. Do you really mean they don't eat good old American ramen noodles for breakfast? Unbelievable!!!

WEary

Ah.......'ya have heard of 1000 year old eggs, right? :D

River Runner
12-31-2007, 01:15
I enjoyed the Chinese buffet in Franklin, NC. Three times. Is it still there? It was in a shopping center--I think the one with Ingles Super Market, or maybe it was Wal-Mart. Gee the years have a way of working on the memory.

There's a Chinese restaurant in the shopping center with Wal-Mart. Right adjacent to the laundry! :sun

Red Hat
12-31-2007, 13:47
Is this thread about Rusty's or Chinese food, lol??? I enjoyed my stay at Rusty's in spite of the neg gossip surrounding him. He woke us up with a loud horn late one evening just to eat ice cream... fun!

I also enjoyed my time in Waynesboro and the Chinese buffet. I stayed at the church hostel before and after my famous fall at dripping rocks (stitches, tetanus shot, and scar)

I've found that most of the time it is best to take your time and enjoy the folks, especially those who have been around a while.

Smile
12-31-2007, 19:02
In Hiawasee there is an authentic Thai, Chinese and Sushi place, its just outside of town on the highway on the left (heading away from trail) in the old Burger King restaurant building. Very good food, and an easy place to get a hitch back to town from. :)

chief
12-31-2007, 22:21
So in China do they have authentic American style cuisine? Some old fat hillbilly in front of a grill saying "What's it gonna be? Hot dog or hamburger?"Yep, as authentic as Mickey D's and Burger King. OTH, those who say chinese food in the States is not authentic have never been to China. Same crap!

Patrickjd9
01-01-2008, 14:58
At least in Hong Kong, they've had to settle for Planet Hollywood. My sister was on a business trip there and after several local "feasts" said she was never so glad to have a hamburger and fries in all her life.

MOWGLI
01-01-2008, 15:12
Is this thread about Rusty's or Chinese food, lol???

Chinese food! Get it straight! :rolleyes:

angewrite
07-13-2008, 22:54
Rusty's is now open for business, again... (and not just to alumni)

Lone Wolf
07-13-2008, 23:05
Rusty's is now open for business, again... (and not just to alumni)

were you there recently?

angewrite
07-13-2008, 23:46
were you there recently?

Rusty called Bob McCaw to tell him the Hollow was fully operational.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2008, 00:05
caveat emptor. again

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-14-2008, 05:54
As I understand it, Rusty is hiring some former hikers to help assure the hostel is going to stay open reliably. This may change things.

As LW notes, in the past this hostel has not been a reliable resource - what it will be in the future is still a question. Until it demonstrates reliability, I'd advise people to have a 'Plan B' ready if planning to stay there.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2008, 06:26
As I understand it, Rusty is hiring some former hikers to help assure the hostel is going to stay open reliably. This may change things.

As LW notes, in the past this hostel has not been a reliable resource - what it will be in the future is still a question. Until it demonstrates reliability, I'd advise people to have a 'Plan B' ready if planning to stay there.

"hiring" is not the word. pirate went there a few days ago to watch the place for rusty. i highly recommend going to waynesboro for rest and resupply. this "reopening" won't last very long. history repeats itself every 6 months or so there

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-14-2008, 06:54
"hiring" is not the word. pirate went there a few days ago to watch the place for rusty. i highly recommend going to waynesboro for rest and resupply. this "reopening" won't last very long. history repeats itself every 6 months or so thereIf he has not actually hired some help, you are correct in saying this resource will continue to be unreliable IMO.

minnesotasmith
07-14-2008, 09:48
Yep, as authentic as Mickey D's and Burger King. OTH, those who say chinese food in the States is not authentic have never been to China. Same crap!

The McDonald's in Tokyo serves some entrees with seaweed, I recall reading. (Try getting that in a McDonald's in Des Moines.) Second, I've lived in China, and much of their food is really spicy hot, hotter than most Chinese restaurants here would dare serve.

RITBlake
07-14-2008, 19:18
Best hostel ever. Really fun two days there.

I'll miss the noon skeet shoot and the Amish lunch on Sunday.

Awol2003
07-15-2008, 10:33
Rusty wanted this posted verbatim:

+++

As of July 14, 2008, contrary to what you’ve heard, Rusty’s Hard Time Hollow is receiving all hikers (through hikers, section hikers, and hitch hikers). Donations are a must to keep the Hollow in running order. Please give all you can; you are supporting a trail mission.

“Everyone is a purist”

Pedaling Fool
07-17-2008, 18:31
Saw a few of these signs, very well made, not the usual flimsy signs usually seen on the AT. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26247&c=newimages&cutoffdate=1

Wilson
07-17-2008, 19:19
He's kinda like Brett Farve.

angewrite
07-17-2008, 20:09

Sounds about right

A-Train
07-17-2008, 20:20

yeah, minus the millions.

the goat
07-17-2008, 23:25
“Everyone is a purist”

that'll get certain folks riled up fer sure!:D

Nicksaari
07-17-2008, 23:47
where exactly is this place, i want to do a section, maybe three ridges or something, and stay the night. i would generously donate and take some pictures, have a good time. if any of you could please give me a location........

thanks everyone

A-Train
07-18-2008, 01:22
where exactly is this place, i want to do a section, maybe three ridges or something, and stay the night. i would generously donate and take some pictures, have a good time. if any of you could please give me a location........

thanks everyone

A mile and change north of Maupin Field Shelter and then around 2 miles on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Only 20 miles south of Waynesboro/RockFish Gap

foxfire01
07-18-2008, 08:05
My stay @ Rusty's was great in '02. Plan to do another hike in 2009-would be nice to stay at The Hollow.

Foxfire(01) Ga ME 02

RITBlake
07-18-2008, 08:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=667298#post667298)

and the laser rocket arm

sherrill
07-18-2008, 08:25
Saw a few of these signs, very well made, not the usual flimsy signs usually seen on the AT. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26247&c=newimages&cutoffdate=1

Have to be honest, seeing that sign doesn't make me want to stay there. I don't need the drama.

Whup Whup
06-20-2009, 11:15
Rusty has reopened his hostel to new hikers. I stayed there (for the first time) for 4 days just a couple weeks ago.

Lemni Skate
06-20-2009, 11:26
He's open...he's closed...he's open to old hikers...he's closed to section hikers...kinda sorta open...closed on Tuesdays unless you're cooking breakfast...

I don't think I'll walk the three miles on the chance that my particular breed of hiker is welcome that month. I will leave a prescription for anti-psychosis meds.

Red Hat
06-20-2009, 16:06
Quote LemniSkate: "I don't think I'll walk the three miles on the chance that my particular breed of hiker is welcome that month."

and you'll miss one of the truly unique trail places... Rusty was an AT "legend" way back when...

saimyoji
06-20-2009, 19:48
and you'll miss one of the truly unique trail places... Rusty was an AT "legend" way back when...

"legend' at what?

Lone Wolf
06-20-2009, 20:33

i beg to differ. strongly

mudcap
06-20-2009, 20:47
Everyone has THEIR own opinion...

weary
06-21-2009, 10:06
Well, I haven;t seen the "new" Rusty's, but i understand it is a little less unique these days. In '93 lights were flashlights and kerozene lanterns. It was a bit like moving into an earlier century. I understand electricity has been added. A Rusty's with florescent light bulbs! A sad thought -- until I think of how much joy Rusty must get from being able to see as the sun goes down.

Weary

Frau
08-02-2009, 09:01
I was in the Gro. Express in Glasgow yesterday and noticed florescent green cards bearing Rusty's Hardtime Hollow, info. Since I had recalled reading about the establishment closing (and OTHER things about it) I was curious. Reading what little has been added here, it sounds like same ole', same ole'.

Frau

Lone Wolf
08-02-2009, 10:37
he's open, he's closed. thru-hikers only, all hikers welcome, alumni only. for sale, for rent. a very consistent place :rolleyes: keep on goin' to waynesboro

Jeff
08-02-2009, 10:39
A hiker told me that Rusty complained this year about the Dutch Haus (hostel) affecting his business.:-?

Lone Wolf
08-02-2009, 10:42
oh i thought rusty wasn't a "business"? :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
08-02-2009, 14:00
Visited the Dutch Haus this year, met the owners, had the grand tour.

Beautiful place, beautiful people. Stay there if you can.

weary
08-02-2009, 21:16
oh i thought rusty wasn't a "business"? :rolleyes:
Lone Wolf, as you may know, all except a handful of the hostels on the trail began as businesses. Not fulltime. But as a means of supplementing income.

They differ, however, in philosophy. Some have as a subset of their plans help for financially challenged hikers. Others are out for all they can get. A few eek out a small living for at least a part of the year from hikers.

All project friendship and care for hikers. Afterall, that is how one entices patrons. Some are just naturally friendly people. I think of my sister and Earl, who run the also off and on Cabin in Andover. (Incidentally, it is now on, at least for this season)

For most of those that survive, the profit plan evolves into a hobby, that for a few produces some minor financial benefits.

Weary

Rain Man
08-03-2009, 08:21
Visited the Dutch Haus this year, met the owners, had the grand tour.

Beautiful place, beautiful people. Stay there if you can.

AMEN to that! Stayed there this summer on my section hike. Posted photos. I'd go right back.

Rain:sunMan

Jeff
08-03-2009, 08:31
All project friendship and care for hikers. Afterall, that is how one entices patrons. Some are just naturally friendly people. I think of my sister and Earl, who run the also off and on Cabin in Andover. (Incidentally, it is now on, at least for this season)

Your sister is HONEY ??!!!!! She and Earl are great people who really offered me anything and everything I could have wanted in Andover. I hope they are able to continue the hostel for years to come.

Skyline
08-03-2009, 09:33
Running a hostel or a shuttle service for hikers is often a road to the poorhouse. It is seldom if ever a road to riches.

weary
08-03-2009, 10:26
Running a hostel or a shuttle service for hikers is often a road to the poorhouse. It is seldom if ever a road to riches.
I would say never ever a road to riches. A few make a few supplemental dollars during the hiking season, at least in the south.

In Maine the season is so short -- and intensive -- that some hostels find that after a few years they've had enough.

Margery and Earl (Honey & Bear) have tried to quit The Cabin a couple of times. This year one of the competing hostels closed and the one remaining kept calling when they had an overflow asking for a place for a few hikers to be allowed to stay. As the peak thru hiker season approaches, they decided that it was simpler to just stay open. Plus they missed the interaction with young people.

Marge, especially, has been an avid hiker all her life. We spent two months every summer outside of Gorham, NH at the Dolly Copp campground as kids, climbing almost daily in the Presidentials and the Carter Moriah ridge.

I introduced her to serious backpacking and winter camping in the 70s, and she and Earl did 800 miles of the AT with me on my long walk in 1993. But over the years Marge has climbed many more mountains than I have. She and Earl were married one snowy March Day at one of the first shelters northbounder hit after leaving Hanover. I forget the name. But we all snowshoed or skied in, including the minister.

Weary

Skyline
08-03-2009, 11:16
I would say never ever a road to riches. A few make a few supplemental dollars during the hiking season, at least in the south.

In Maine the season is so short -- and intensive -- that some hostels find that after a few years they've had enough.

Margery and Earl (Honey & Bear) have tried to quit The Cabin a couple of times. This year one of the competing hostels closed and the one remaining kept calling when they had an overflow asking for a place for a few hikers to be allowed to stay. As the peak thru hiker season approaches, they decided that it was simpler to just stay open. Plus they missed the interaction with young people.

Marge, especially, has been an avid hiker all her life. We spent two months every summer outside of Gorham, NH at the Dolly Copp campground as kids, climbing almost daily in the Presidentials and the Carter Moriah ridge.

I introduced her to serious backpacking and winter camping in the 70s, and she and Earl did 800 miles of the AT with me on my long walk in 1993. But over the years Marge has climbed many more mountains than I have. She and Earl were married one snowy March Day at one of the first shelters northbounder hit after leaving Hanover. I forget the name. But we all snowshoed or skied in, including the minister.

Weary

That's a great story!

Agree with you on principle. I wrote "seldom if ever" just to cover the one rare instance I might not know about where someone actually changed his or her financial position significantly for the better due to serving hikers. We probably aren't going to hear from that person. I doubt he or she exists. More likely the opposite is true, where folks with good intentions serving hikers have lost quite a bit of $$$ doing so.

the goat
08-03-2009, 11:43

Weary

they were married at jeffers brook shelter, right?