PDA

View Full Version : Maps for Class 2008

Texasgirl
07-12-2007, 21:25
Friend of mine is doing a NOBO Class 2008. I'd like to buy all the maps and data book (I understand it's better to get the data book than the guide?). Is it to early to buy it all now for an August surprise birthday present?

fiddlehead
07-12-2007, 23:15
The Data Book is the most important thing to carry.
Maps are fun and a learning experience. I don't understand what you mean by too early, but if you are asking if they get updated every few weeks or something, the answer is no. Go ahead and buy them (ATC in Harper's Ferry will sell them to you)
If you are asking about the guidebooks from the ATC, they tend to be heavy (IMO) and take a lot of uneccessary time to read about every turn and hill. Better to just go and experience a new thing without knowing all you can before hand (again IMO)
If your friend is one who prefers to know all the pizza prices in a particular town before going there, i suggest the ALDHA companion, but personally, i'd like to hit a town without having a guided tour of it first.

Texasgirl
07-13-2007, 00:32
Thanks bunches. Naw, he probably is not in the least concerned with pizza prices so I'll focus on the Data Book and maps (if anything, I can hang on to them and "follow" along on paper).

Pokey2006
07-13-2007, 03:53
You can get the Companion for free on-line. Even if you got him a copy of the real thing, you could also print the pages out for yourself to follow along from home without having to buy another copy.

Maps are always cool, as far as I'm concerned. They're expensive, too, so that's a great gift to give someone who's planning to hike. Plus, it's just fun to look at them and plan ahead and dream. It's never too early to do that!

Texasgirl
07-13-2007, 22:49
Thanks a bunch Pokey.