PDA

View Full Version : makeing an early start in 08

Tinkergnome
07-12-2007, 23:28
Me and my wife are going to be starting in Georga in late january (i know way early but that is when we can start). Right now we are busy refining our gearlists, and takeing some shakedown hikes

just a quick question though

Has anyone had much experience on that part of the trail during winter? opinions on what (if any) snowgear (IE campons, ice axe etc) would be adviseable to bring along for the first few months.

And i know it is early in the season, would most of the hostils and outfitters be closed up?

peanuts
07-13-2007, 08:57
tinkergnome, even tho you will get rain, snow, and ice on the trail in georgia, you don't need crapons, or ice axe! the key is knowing when to take a day off for bad weather. hope this helps. and welcome :)

The Solemates
07-13-2007, 09:34
Me and my wife are going to be starting in Georga in late january (i know way early but that is when we can start). Right now we are busy refining our gearlists, and takeing some shakedown hikes

just a quick question though

Has anyone had much experience on that part of the trail during winter? opinions on what (if any) snowgear (IE campons, ice axe etc) would be adviseable to bring along for the first few months.

And i know it is early in the season, would most of the hostils and outfitters be closed up?

we started 1 Feb 2004. didnt carry any special snow gear, just extra clothes. you do not need crampons, ice axe, gaitors, or the like. we wore regular mid-weight boots. there will be plenty who tell you to bring all kinds of stuff, but we are of the opinion that you do not need it for the southern AT in the winter.

Freeleo
07-13-2007, 10:30
these guy i believe are the last guys to hike the trail in the winter

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23997

they do presentations in our area since their hike and im pretty sure they would be willing to share their experience with you

you can reach them if you private message a WB member:

live karma

hope it helps

jlb2012
07-13-2007, 10:32
perhaps if you are concerned about traction on ice you might consider the approach taken by Flying Brian - short sheet metal screws that he would screw into his shoes

Jaybird
07-13-2007, 10:53
I've hiked Georgia in the winter, snow & ice....it's FUN...

just take plenty o' layers of clothing!:D

Tinkergnome
07-13-2007, 19:57
Thanks for all of the advice, guess i'll leave the ice gear in the closet this trip (saves some wieght anyways, and leaves room for more layers)

I wasn't realy sure what the terain is like in GA (this is going to be my first trip to the AT) still might consider bringing some lightweight crampons (instep maby) just for when it is a bit slick, but not icy enough to warrent a 0 day (not sure if i like the idea of screwing stuff into the soles of my boots).

Marta
07-13-2007, 21:52
There can be icy places, but you can usually skirt around them. As everyone else has said, winter climbing gear isn't necessary; warm clothing and sleeping gear is. But you can and probably will also have some days that are sunny and up in the 60s. It's a lovely time to hike in the South.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Skits
07-15-2007, 04:42
Bring Yak Traks for the icy spots. Lightweight and easy to take on and off. That's my plan anyway (I'm starting around Feb. 12 or so).

Nightwalker
07-15-2007, 07:09
Bring Yak Traks for the icy spots. Lightweight and easy to take on and off. That's my plan anyway (I'm starting around Feb. 12 or so).

Get the "pro" version. My regular YakTrax broke the first day that I used them (in ice on the GA AT in December of '05). :)

Baum Trigger
07-15-2007, 12:12
Get the "pro" version. My regular YakTrax broke the first day that I used them (in ice on the GA AT in December of '05). :)

My taktrax pro also broke the first time I used them on a section hike from NOC to Hotsprings in Dec. '05.

Skits
07-15-2007, 21:23

I think mine are the pro version. I'd have to check. I've used them going up Whitney in October and on the passes in Glacier in June and they've worked fantastic on hard-packed ice.

Cosmic Crusader
09-17-2007, 20:15
Unless you are planning on starting at north end you will be far better off with a lightweight set of snowshoes - even that is overkill unless you just have to keep moving (or want to) in the worst of storms. Save weight and move faster with healthy knees and feet. Just be ready and enjoy some 0 days.

chiefdaddy
09-22-2007, 09:54
I hiked the GA AT from xmass day to new years day and believe me it will be colder than you think! Even last spring break in NC it was freezing crazy weather. I love it like that, just be prepaired and enjoy!!! PS- the mice get wild during winter in shelters!

Grinder
09-22-2007, 13:19
check trail journals for
hikernutt, happy and ghost

They all hiked the trail, or part thereof, beginning in Jan (late late December for ghost)

It sure sounded much frio to me.

Tom
Florida Boy

Mongoose2
09-22-2007, 21:25
I live in NE Atlanta and frequently go up in the mountains here. On my first cold-weather hike on the AT, I nearly froze my onions off. Ensure you have the proper bag, I will never do it again without my 0 degree bag (but I do sleep cold). Day time is usually GREAT hiking weather. But the nights....brrrr! Good luck and have a great time!

Joey
09-22-2007, 21:49
Hiked the Roans in Feb 2004 in snow and ice and DID need crampons. The trail had very thick ice layers and plus it snowed the whole two days we were there. Been in the smokies in wintry conditions and did NOT need them. Kinda damned if you do and damned if ya dont.