PDA

View Full Version : Place to stay in Key West on IAT for coral researchers

Tha Wookie
07-13-2007, 11:12
Hey ya'll,

A lady friend and I are going to be doing a bit of camping and SCUBA diving (coral research) in Key west during the first week of August. I seem to remember someone on this site saying they have a place down there near the Interntaional Appalachian Trail (IAT).

Does anyone know of any not-so-expensive places to stay for two to three nights in Key West or Key Largo? I've been looking around and thought someone here might have some inside info.

thanks!

Nate

Pokey2006
07-13-2007, 23:48
I don't have any inside knowledge, but this place has been on my "wanna-visit" list for a while....

http://www.keywesthostel.com/info.html

Just Jeff
07-14-2007, 01:01
If your brother is still active, he might be able to sponsor you at the Key West Lodge...it was like $65/night for a studio w/ full kitchen when I was there several years ago, and right on the base's beach.

This was pre-9/11 and I'm not positive on the rules for sponsoring folks into military lodging, but the other hotels in the area were like $400/night so it might be worth checking in to if you don't find anything better.

Nearly Normal
07-14-2007, 03:39
I wonder how youthful you must be to stay at the youth hostel?

Nearly Normal
aka Pete56

Pokey2006
07-14-2007, 04:08
Hostels rock! For 30 bucks a night in Key West, just steps to the beach, who cares if everyone around you is 100 years younger than you are! Seriously, I think a lot of people overlook hostels when traveling. And people of all ages are always welcomed, at least in my experience.

There's also a network of couch crashers you could check out: http://www.couchsurfing.com/

Tha Wookie
07-15-2007, 14:14
hmmm.... great ideas so far.

Jeff, that is soemthing I would have never thought of.... Yes my brother is still an active Marine. Does he just have to call it in? Is that totally legit? That would be great!

I'll check out that hostel too.

Keep 'em rolling.... any more ideas?

thanks!!!!

stumpy
07-15-2007, 14:53
Key West in August!!!!!!!:eek:

I hope you are spending most of the day in the water. I have been there and done that (in August), and it is HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

orangebug
07-15-2007, 15:11
Key West in August is quite a bear of a place. You will definitely be in the off season, and shouldn't have any trouble finding a place. If I remember right, you won't even be competing for rooms with the rock lobster fishers.

There are lots of very good places to stay for cheap away from Key West, with much more nature to show for it. I'd suggest Big Pine and Little Pine Keys, with lots of Key Deer and the occasional iguana. There are some fresh water holes with lots of interesting critters.

Big Torch Key has a place with culverts under the road. This is very cool as the tide is turning, as you will rocket from one side of the road to the other inside the culvert. It isn't as dangerous as it sounds, as the culverts are lined in silky algae. Just keep your arms and legs straight and go feet first.

I have a friend with a home on No Name Key, and suggest you find the No Name Pub, home of the best Pizza in the Known Universe. I'm not spreading fertilizer, as it is true.

But brings lots of sunscreen, bug spray and sun glasses. Alcohol helps the midday, afternoon boredom and heat. I'm told other things will help, especially the company of a significant other.

Just Jeff
07-15-2007, 18:13
Jeff, that is soemthing I would have never thought of.... Yes my brother is still an active Marine. Does he just have to call it in? Is that totally legit? That would be great!

Sure it's legit. My wife was able to get a room on base before we got married b/c someone sponsored her. But he might have to be there in person...like I said, I'm not sure what the rules are now. It's worth a phone call, though.

https://www.navy-lodge.com/united_states/florida/key_west.html

Key West Hikers
08-25-2007, 15:50
Hostel is now closed. Temperature is quite warm.