PDA

View Full Version : Backpack fitting / adjusting question

The Wisconsinite
07-13-2007, 11:46
Hello All
This is my first post here, so I thought I would say hi. I have just bought myself a new backpack online at REI, at a price I couldn't pass up (I had a coupon). It's an REI UL 45 pack, here's the link (http://www.rei.com/product/747515). I've had my current pack since sometime in the middle to early 90's, so it was time for something new.

Anyways, I believe I measured my torso length appropriately, so I don't think thats going to be a problem, although I gues I'll find out when it arrives. My question is, is there anything else I should do to make it fit better (it hasn't arrived yet, so this is all theoretical, it could fit amazingly perfect, right :). I know some people bend the internal frame to make it fit better. How do I know where and how to bend it? Are there any other tricks to get a great fit? I'm not anywhere near an REI because I don't have a car, otherwise I would go there and see what they have to say, so I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?

Footslogger
07-13-2007, 12:24
I personally fitted backpacks on hikers for over 5 years and I would tell you NOT to do any bending of stays until you have the pack loaded and have hiked with it at least once for extended mileage.

One suggestion I will make is to make sure that when the pack is on (loaded pack) that there is a bit of space between the underside of the shoulder straps and your physical shoulder. The weight of a pack should be on your hips where it can be transferred/distributed to/close to your center of gravity and NOT resting on your shoulders. Shoulder straps (when adjusted correctly) serve mainly to keep the pack from falling backwards. Therefore they should rest more on the front of your shoulders near your collarbone.

What sometimes helps is to don your pack in a systematic way. Loosen all straps and place the pack on your back. Locate the hipbelt properly on your hips, then snug the shoulder straps down and finally, pull down on the load lifters (where the shoulder straps are attached to the top of the pack. Last (if you are going to use one), fasten and adjust the sternum strap. If adjusted correctly, you should not be "shouldering" the weight of the pack at this point.

Happy trails ...

'Slogger

Shadowmoss
07-14-2007, 11:17
I bought that pack this spring. I have found it to be very east to adjust it so it is comfortable. I used it on an overnight in and out on the approach trail from Amicalola Falls (spelled right?) to Springer and back down. No issues at all with the pack, so sore spots, no rubbing. My pack weight was approximately 23 lbs (per the scale at the Visitor Center) with 3L of water.

A much taller friend tried the pack on (empty) to see if she liked it. She remarked that the shoulder straps didn't cut into her as she is used to having happen with most packs. In other words, even with a different body shape she liked it immediately.

Enjoy the pack. It will probably be just fine with just adjustments made with the straps to make it fit you.

The Wisconsinite
07-16-2007, 11:40
Thank you for both your replies, they were very informative. Shadowmoss, do you use a hydration bladder in your pack? May I ask what type it is and if you like it? That's next on my list, since my last pack didn't have a hydration pocket. I'm thinking about buying a trail running pack with a removeable bladder that I can put in my REI pack.

Shade
07-17-2007, 13:54
I have the same pack but likely and older model. I used a Platypus Hoser 3L with sucess. It had a zipper pocket that the Platy fit into just fine.

Shadowmoss
07-18-2007, 22:14
I'm still looking at hydration packs. It's pretty much just gatorade bottle for me right now.

Midway Sam
07-18-2007, 22:20
I'm still looking at hydration packs. It's pretty much just gatorade bottle for me right now.
The Nalgene brand bladders work great in the REI packs. The REI packs have two attachment points that mate up perfect with the REI packs. You can see them in this pic...

http://images.rei.com/media/1020272.jpg

PS, I'm sure you'll love the pack. I have an REI Mars and just ordered a Cruise 60.

millergear
07-18-2007, 23:28
On the subject of fitting a pack, what exactly does "Locate the hipbelt properly on your hips" mean? Should it ride over the top of the crest of the hips? Snug around the concave part of the hips, below the crest? Around the crest, half above, half below? I've seen many references but none that were very clear. Any help / clarification would be appreciated!

Footslogger
07-19-2007, 09:26
On the subject of fitting a pack, what exactly does "Locate the hipbelt properly on your hips" mean? Should it ride over the top of the crest of the hips? Snug around the concave part of the hips, below the crest? Around the crest, half above, half below? I've seen many references but none that were very clear. Any help / clarification would be appreciated!
===============================

To some extent it depends on the pack. Gregory likes you to locate the hip belt so that it is centerred on (straddles) the hip bone. That has to do with the type of foam used.

Bottom line is that hip belt location is/should be the position most comfortable for you AND supports the weight of the pack (at the hip level) when snugged down.

That said ...I've seen happy hikers with hip belts located anywhere from totally above the hip bone to somewhere between the hips and crotch.

When I am hiking the top edge of my hip belt is just a tad (technical term) above the hip bone. Plus, after hiking a bit if I feel my pack starting to sag (main symptom being the feeling of weight on my shoulders) I heave the hip belt up a tad and tighten it again.

'Slogger

millergear
07-19-2007, 14:56
Thanks, I'll just keep experimenting with the positioning.