PDA

View Full Version : Northern Edge of White Mountains

rtfi
07-13-2007, 20:48
What is considered to be the northern edge of the Whites on the AT?
I am going to be hiking north from Pinkham Notch with my brother-in-law and was wondering how many miles we would still be "in the Whites."

Roland
07-13-2007, 21:11
What is considered to be the northern edge of the Whites on the AT?
I am going to be hiking north from Pinkham Notch with my brother-in-law and was wondering how many miles we would still be "in the Whites."

The AT, from Pinkham to US 2 is almost entirely in the White Mountain National Forest (about 21 miles).

Here's a map (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/maps/location_maps/wm_forest_visitor_map.pdf) showing the boundaries of the WMNF.

Mr. Clean
07-14-2007, 03:47
Generally, the Whites end at Gorham, New Hampshire, and the Mahoosucs begin there. If you are hiking northbound, you will be on the Carter-Wildcat range. If southbound (which is due north from Pinkham), you head into the Great Gulf and the Presidential range. I don't have my maps in front of me, but from Pinkham to Gorham is about 18 - 20 miles if I remember. Mahoosucs are another 20 miles or so. This is some real nice hikin'.

rtfi
07-14-2007, 08:38
So it seems like it would be a more interesting hike south of Pinkham Notch?
(The Notch will be a good starting or ending point for us because we can get a bus in and out of there.) I am section hiking and would be starting one year in West Hartford, VT and ending in Pinkham Notch. Maybe this should be the year my brother-in-law joins me rather than Pinkham Notch to Caratunk. (I find every section interesting, but I mean more spectacular for my brother-in-law.)

Marta
07-14-2007, 09:48
It's all interesting. And challenging.

The timing of your hike would make a difference. The AMC-served parts of the Whites are very crowded during the peak school vacation times.

Marta/Five-Leaf

bullseye
07-14-2007, 10:39
You can't go wrong either direction from the notch. I did the section south of there in '04 and the piece from Pinkham to Gorham in '05 and loved both. The presidentials are great, but the views from the Carter-Moriah range are awesome too.

7Sisters
07-14-2007, 13:01
It's all interesting. And challenging.

The timing of your hike would make a difference. The AMC-served parts of the Whites are very crowded during the peak school vacation times.

Marta/Five-Leaf

If you're planning a section hike of the Northern Presidentials and will be doing this section in mid week, you won't see that many people on the trail. However during the weekend from Mid June to Mid September, expect the AT to be real crowded from Moosilauke to Gorham NH. That entire area is just that pretty!

rtfi
07-14-2007, 19:01
everybody for your input.