PDA

View Full Version : Most dangerous portion of the AT

trlhiker
07-14-2007, 20:54
I am currently reading "Walking Home" By Kelly Winters. In it she says that the section between Elk Park NC and Hampton Tenn. Is the most dangerous for hikers because of rapes, assaults, and intimidations. Granted her hike was in the mid 90's, but is this section still pretty bad or are other sections worse as far as crimes against hikers are concerned?

Lone Wolf
07-15-2007, 00:08
I am currently reading "Walking Home" By Kelly Winters. In it she says that the section between Elk Park NC and Hampton Tenn. Is the most dangerous for hikers because of rapes, assaults, and intimidations. Granted her hike was in the mid 90's, but is this section still pretty bad or are other sections worse as far as crimes against hikers are concerned?

PA has the worst track record for murders, rapes, assaults, etc.

Dr O
07-15-2007, 03:20

Only thing that frightens me are dueling banjos.

Nearly Normal
07-15-2007, 06:19
Where there has been a spot of serious trouble on rare occasion for hikers I think most will agree that backpacking is pretty safe. You have more to fear from a careless hiker with a poor cooking arrangement than capital crime.

"Only thing that frightens me are dueling banjos."

This is joke in poor taste. It referrs to rural Southerners as portrayed by comedians, B-movies and TV. It is as offensive as black face is to Black Americans.
I've hiked and visited the area where the movie "Deliverance" was filmed many times. The Chattooga river section of the Foothills Trail is probably THE most senic area in the Southeast. If you're truly afraid of "dueling banjos" you would be better served to stay home. Most desired hiking trails always share the same thing. They are as removed from the things of man as possible.

Nearly Normal
aka Pete56

woodsy
07-15-2007, 08:08
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.794153/k.9D5E/Health_and_Safety.htm

If you want to dig deeper , type 'crime on the Appalachian Trail' in your google bar.

Wanderingson
07-15-2007, 09:09

I see no reason for anyone to be offended by this remark. Heck, many folks can relate to this humor.

Midway Sam
07-15-2007, 09:17
This is joke in poor taste. It referrs to rural Southerners as portrayed by comedians, B-movies and TV. It is as offensive as black face is to Black Americans.
I've hiked and visited the area where the movie "Deliverance" was filmed many times. The Chattooga river section of the Foothills Trail is probably THE most senic area in the Southeast. If you're truly afraid of "dueling banjos" you would be better served to stay home. Most desired hiking trails always share the same thing. They are as removed from the things of man as possible.

In the words of the immortal Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up Francis." I'm from Kan-tuck-eee, breeding ground for some of the best inbred banjo players there are and I find absolutely nothing about the comment offensive. As a matter of fact, my favorite T-Shirt I've seen in a while was at NOC and said "Paddle Faster, I Hear Banjo Music!"

Sheesh, Sgt. Rock hit the nail on the head a few months back... We are becoming "The United States of the Offended".

Two Speed
07-15-2007, 09:21
At least we're united in something. Finally, common ground!

saimyoji
07-15-2007, 09:31

Really? Source?

napster
07-15-2007, 09:31
Seems to be only BLUE BELLIES :eek: that worry or joke about the dueling banjo. No need to be offended.

saimyoji
07-15-2007, 09:32

Or was that just the weekend at the Doyle?

Jack Tarlin
07-15-2007, 10:31
The Elk Park area has gotten bad a bad rap for years as being unsafe. There were problems years ago (and I mean DECADES ago) over some land acquisition disputes which embittered a few locals. But this was very long ago. The only problem in the area is a recurrent car vandalism problem at RT 19E, but these same things happenin NH and VT frequently but nobody ever mentions it. There is no "unsafe" section of the A.T. You have a greater chance of being the victim of random violence in your school, workplace, or home than you do on the Appalachian Trail.

FanaticFringer
07-15-2007, 10:33
Where there has been a spot of serious trouble on rare occasion for hikers I think most will agree that backpacking is pretty safe. You have more to fear from a careless hiker with a poor cooking arrangement than capital crime.

Nearly Normal
aka Pete56

Trouble with many Americans.....they get offended so easily.:rolleyes:

mrc237
07-15-2007, 10:50
The most dangerous thing about hiking: DRIVING TO THE TRAILHEAD!!!!

emerald
07-15-2007, 11:58
Really? Source?

Yes, Wolf. If you're going to post something like that, let's have a link or some statistics that resulted from your own original research, but then your intent was something other than to inform, now wasn't it?:D

Soon the site administrators will be demanding to be paid and it will be all over.:rolleyes:

Route Step
07-15-2007, 12:15
Barring the human element (which I have always found helpful) I think the eroding slopes and climbs in the White Mountains to be pretty dangerous. I only wish there were some before and after pictures of the affect on the trail going up some of those slopes.

Uncle Silly
07-15-2007, 14:39

that's only frightening if they're bad. good banjo players are a joy to watch and listen to and tend to signify the presence of that good ol' mountain dew. :)

aaroniguana
07-15-2007, 15:07
I am distantly related to two members of "The Old Crow Medicine Show", one of the best travelling bluegrass bands in the country. They're from the Buffalo, NY area, not exactly "The South".

So if you hear banjos on Lake Ontario, swim faster...

Jim Adams
07-15-2007, 19:46
Crossing highways!

geek

Cookerhiker
07-15-2007, 20:20
I thought the most dangerous part was descending Mt. Moosilauke when iced over.

Kerosene
07-15-2007, 21:29
I thought the most dangerous part was descending Mt. Moosilauke when iced over.That would be tough. Also, I can't imagine descending Osborne Ridge in rain, fog, and high winds.

trailangelmary
07-15-2007, 22:46
that's only frightening if they're bad. good banjo players are a joy to watch and listen
And, Uncle Silly, you are a great banjo player. It's relaxing to hear you play. I miss listening to your playing.

dixicritter
07-15-2007, 22:58
Soon the site administrators will be demanding to be paid and it will be all over.:rolleyes:

Hey I really like this idea!!!! :banana

:: as dixi goes off to buy more visine to sooth her VERY tired eyes ::

Ron Haven
07-16-2007, 00:52
Only thing that frightens me are dueling banjos.Dr.O,
If you ever comr thru Franklin.I am going to scare hell out of you then.I am going to follow you around playing,Dueling Banjos,Rocky Top,Foggy Mtn Breakdown and Salt Dog.And if you wiggle just right,I'll seick my cousin DAVID on yee.
:dance :dance OOOOOOOOOOOW

Dr O
07-16-2007, 01:13
Dr.O,
If you ever comr thru Franklin.I am going to scare hell out of you then.I am going to follow you around playing,Dueling Banjos,Rocky Top,Foggy Mtn Breakdown and Salt Dog.And if you wiggle just right,I'll seick my cousin DAVID on yee.
:dance :dance OOOOOOOOOOOW

:p

I don't think I've ever been serenaded before! Come to think of it the Banjo's might work better than bear bells.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-16-2007, 05:47

Nearly Normal
aka Pete56

Someone needs more fiber in his diet

Rain Man
07-16-2007, 12:48

This is joke in poor taste. It refers to rural Southerners as portrayed by comedians, B-movies and TV. It is as offensive as black face is to Black Americans.
I've hiked and visited the area where the movie "Deliverance" was filmed many times. The Chattooga river section of the Foothills Trail is probably THE most scenic area in the Southeast. If you're truly afraid of "dueling banjos" you would be better served to stay home. Most desired hiking trails always share the same thing. They are as removed from the things of man as possible.

Nearly Normal
aka Pete56

AMEN and I second that, Nearly Normal. I'm disappointed in the "attitude" some have that if it doesn't offend them, then no one should take offense,... or like the ones who sit around and sniggle when some one tells a joke about a blonde or a Pollack or a black person or a Southerner, then protest that no offense was intended. Sorry, but their lack of class is showing, and that ain't no joke.

Back to the regularly broadcast program, I think the most dangerous section of the AT is around roads. Oh yes,-- I've tubed the Chattooga. What a rush!

Rain:sunMan

Dr O
07-16-2007, 14:25
AMEN and I second that, Nearly Normal. I'm disappointed in the "attitude" some have that if it doesn't offend them, then no one should take offense,... or like the ones who sit around and sniggle when some one tells a joke about a blonde or a Pollack or a black person or a Southerner, then protest that no offense was intended. Sorry, but their lack of class is showing, and that ain't no joke.

What on earth?

How do you guys feel offended because a rapist in a Burt Renyolds movie was from the south? It's fiction you know, and the comedic device used was the "relate", similar to if I had said "da DA da DA da DA da" people would think shark! haha! funny. There was no relate to "Southern" or even use of any such term, and the comedic device works completely indipendant of where Deliverance was filmed and cast.

I'm from Cary, NC.

Midway Sam
07-16-2007, 14:54
What on earth?

How do you guys feel offended because a rapist in a Burt Renyolds movie was from the south? It's fiction you know, and the comedic device used was the "relate", similar to if I had said "da DA da DA da DA da" people would think shark! haha! funny. There was no relate to "Southern" or even use of any such term, and the comedic device works completely indipendant of where Deliverance was filmed and cast.

I'm from Cary, NC.

Don't sweat it, there are just a few around here that need Raid suppositories. ;)

Jim Adams
07-16-2007, 16:26
you guys need to lighten up!
next thing you know you'll be offended because someone called a noise making reptile a rattler!

come on.

geek

dixicritter
07-16-2007, 17:12
next thing you know you'll be offended because someone called a noise making reptile a rattler!

come on.

geek

Oh the horrors....LOL.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-16-2007, 17:15
next thing you know you'll be offended because someone called a noise making reptile a rattler!::: Noisy Dino is deeply offended :D :::

Mushroom 96
07-16-2007, 21:51
I was a little north of Kelly Winters at the time. The area was just fine. I didn't camp close to roads but did OK with hitching rides and a few hand outs. I think the item I would worry about most now adays is getting lost and stumbling onto a meth lab or pot operation. :-?

Tennessee Viking
07-16-2007, 22:22
I help maintain this section of the AT. It is some what true, but a bit exagerated. Well since this section of the AT has so many trailheads and so close to so many towns, it has become very popular.

Though I never had any trouble on the trail. I do hear stories on these areas. The areas in question on the Tennessee trek are:

Unaka Mtn - only due to large amounts of people riding horses and ATVs on trail. Then Beauty Spot can become a party spot on summer nights.

Apple House Shelter to Bitter End - This area has been known to be not too hiker friendly. A number of cars have been vandalized that have been left at the 19E, Walnut Mtn Road, & Bitter End trailheads. Apple House Shelter is a known party spot for yocals since its only a half mile from the highway. If your the only one at the shelter, I would suggest staying at Mountain Harbor Inn. Horse and ATV traffic can be found here. A local is being investigated for littering at Bear Branch. Bear Branch is also a party spot and the water here is heavily contaminated from houses up the road.

I really never heard anything bad about Hampton. I have a friend, Mr. Bob Peoples owns the Kincora hostel up in Dennis Cove, and he is pretty much the most respected person in that area. You might hear some gunfire just off the trail from a nearby shooting range though. But I heard stories of some hikers getting strange looks when doing a supply run in Hampton. I think it was due to being trail grudgy.

Vandeventer Shelter - A woman was murdered by a fellow hiker here.

Damascus - Though its a trail town, do not leave your car near the trailhead to Holston Mtn. A number of cars have been jacked here. Always leave your car with one of the towns outfitters or bikeshops.