PDA

View Full Version : JMT next year

oreotragus
07-14-2007, 22:11
I am thinking of saving up and backpacking the John Muir Trail when I get done with Spring 08 semester at my college. If things work out as planned, this would be my second long-distance hike (I plan to do the Foothills Trail in SC on my spring break in March). Do you think it would be too much for a 2nd long trip - and for an unexperienced backpacker/young hiker? I figure that I need to get out and do the trails that I would really like to do while I'm still young and have no real commitments. I visited CA in 2004 with my dad and would love to go back.

:sun

Egads
07-14-2007, 22:39
Better get some snow / ice experience first. Still iced in at high elevations in May / June.

trlhiker
07-14-2007, 22:40
I say to go for it. Just do some research on it before you go and enjoy your hike.

The Old Fhart
07-14-2007, 23:11
The winter snowpack can have a huge effect on your planned hike and starting early is very unwise. In 1995 there was 10 feet of snow at 10,000 feet and that was in late July. Get the JMT guidebook and do some research before you invest time and money in a trip like that.

Jimmers
07-14-2007, 23:27
The winter snowpack can have a huge effect on your planned hike and starting early is very unwise. In 1995 there was 10 feet of snow at 10,000 feet and that was in late July. Get the JMT guidebook and do some research before you invest time and money in a trip like that.

Heavy winter snowfall in the Sierras can wreak havoc on your plans. Two years ago I went to Yosemite in July, and the high country was just beginning to become passable. It's possible to work through if you know what you're doing, but I wasn't willing to risk it with my limited ice & snow experience.

I'd plan the trip anyway, but keep your options open in case the winter isn't kind to you.

oreotragus
07-15-2007, 00:41
Thanks you guys. It's still just a thought, no plans yet. I'm also looking at the Sheltowee Trace National Rereation Trail and the Ozark Highlands Trail.

fiddlehead
07-15-2007, 05:52
If you can wait until August, the JMT is probably the most beautiful trail in the states. (also very popular)
Ironic that you are deciding between the Ozarks and the Sierras. When i first did the JMT in '90, we drove out and stopped to visit friends in MO, and he took us on a boat to have a view of the Ozarks, we saw a small bump in the horizon and thought that must be what he was talking about. A week or so later, halfway into our JMT hike, we stopped at a most beautiful viewpoint, sat down to rest and my brother came up and said: you sure know how to pick a nice break spot" and my other buddy Chooch said: "Yeah but it ain't the Ozarks"
i apologize to those Ozark lovers out there, but it's a sad comparison. Go for the JMT if you can, or put it on your list cause it's a dandy.

Remember, PCT'er generally go thru there around June 15 and blaze a trail through the snow. If you go after that, you should have (at least) some tracks to follow. (i wouldn't go before that without more experience)
And if it is a high snow year, you should get an ice ax and go out on some snow and learn how to stop yourself if you start sliding down the mtn.
Have fun!

oreotragus
07-15-2007, 08:00
Well see, I live in south GA and the last time it snowed here I was a toddler. If I wanted to get any snow/winter hiking experience, it would probably be a one-time thing, in december when I get out of classes for winter break, and probably in north GA at that. I am poor anyway, and with christmas presents to buy, I doubt I would have a lot of money to go out of state. So I don't really have any opportunities to get prior winter/snow/ice experience.

fiddlehead
07-15-2007, 08:39
Then, you can do what i did to learn self-arrest. 1st i went to a ski area when it was open and skiers around. I went to the top of the steepest mtn and practiced falling and stopping after reading how to do it. (feet first, head first, front and back) It was fun.
Then, when i got to the PCT that following spring, as soon as i got to snow, i practiced again and again in it until i was fairly good at self-arrest. Then, when it came time that i needed it (going up Whitney, the start of the JMT) and i fell, i saved my butt from falling over a 60 foot cliff. Had some bloody knees as i was digging in every extremity i could, but i saved it. I think if i would've gone out there without practicing, i'd have at least broken some bones that day.
Not trying to scare anyone, just think it's best to be prepared if you are going to go for the gusto. (and the JMT in spring is the GUSTO!)

Moon Monster
07-15-2007, 12:21
Consider the Tahoe Rim Trail. It is a 170 mile loop around the lake in both CA and NV. It has easy resupply and logistically is easy to get to and away from via an airport (Reno or Sacramento--both SWA destinations) without a car. That makes for a very inexpensive way to see some of the Sierra on a long hike. Its downside is its occasional proximity to development. It also gets a deep snowpack in most winters.

Overall, it makes for a great mini-thru-hike experience with West Coast views and East Coast-like logistics.

oreotragus
07-15-2007, 12:30
Thanks MM, I will definitely check it out!

Cookerhiker
07-15-2007, 20:57
I'd echo everyone's comments on snow & ice concerns with an early start. I hiked most of the JMT last year, starting in late August and had ideal conditions. You can read my journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4830). One important point no one mentioned is elevation. Do you know how well you tolerate high elevations - 9,10,11,12 thousand feet? Have you done any strenuous activity at that elevation before in your young life? If not, you should allow time to acclimate - either through your hiking schedule or spend 2-3 days beforehand at 8 or 9 thousand feet.

taildragger
07-16-2007, 08:33
I to am getting ready to do this hike next summer. I'll just echo what everyone has said, acclumate to elevation and be sure to check out the snowpack (I think the PCT website has information on it).

Ewker
07-16-2007, 10:16
Consider the Tahoe Rim Trail. It is a 170 mile loop around the lake in both CA and NV. It has easy resupply and logistically is easy to get to and away from via an airport (Reno or Sacramento--both SWA destinations) without a car. That makes for a very inexpensive way to see some of the Sierra on a long hike. Its downside is its occasional proximity to development. It also gets a deep snowpack in most winters.

Overall, it makes for a great mini-thru-hike experience with West Coast views and East Coast-like logistics.

thanks for mentioning this trail. I looked it up and they have a decent website. http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/index.html Another trail to add to my growing list. Come on and hit the lottery as that will be the only way I can do all the hikes I want to do :p

Midway Sam
07-16-2007, 10:47
Thanks you guys. It's still just a thought, no plans yet. I'm also looking at the Sheltowee Trace National Rereation Trail and the Ozark Highlands Trail.

I'd skip the Sheltowee as a "thru-hike". significant portions are road walks and even more significant portions are unmaintained nightmares. There are some beautiful sections of the Sheltowee, but I wouldn't consider thru-hiking it.

The Solemates
07-16-2007, 14:24

you do not want to do the OHT in the summer.