PDA

View Full Version : Tent advice, please

randytrapper1
07-15-2007, 01:38
Hello,
I started thinking of a thru-hike back in early 2004. Shortly after my initial planning I found out that I had degenerative disks and a few where bulging, Anyways I ended up having lower back surgery on L1-5 in late 2004. So that pretty much ruined my plans. However I知 going to start section hiking the trail along with my daughter. We are going to do what we can, when we can. I知 looking for a very light weight tent for two people and I have a budget of around $200.00 I have been looking around and I think I have it narrowed down to either a Eureka Timberline 2 or a MSR Zoid 2. I could easily be swayed in another direction, but these two where in my price range. I知 just looking for some guidance from folks that have used either or maybe have a better idea for me.
Thanks in advance, Randy

hopefulhiker
07-15-2007, 07:11
Look at the Tarp tents by Henry Shires. With back problems it is important to go light weight..

Tractor
07-15-2007, 08:08
Many "2 person" tents are just that, for two people and about nothing else. Note the tent floor sizes and see how two sleeping pads will lay within that. Also look for a vestabule, a useable vestabule, to put stuff that won't fit inside with two people. I have a zoid 2 for 2 person hiking but have yet to use it for that purpose.

Midway Sam
07-15-2007, 08:58
Look at the Tarp tents by Henry Shires. With back problems it is important to go light weight..

Amen! I've got a Double Rainbow on order from Henry.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 09:09
I recommend the Double Rainbow as wel because the large door will make getting in and out much easier for someone with a back problem and it is light.

You may also want to try out a hammock for your personal comfort.

napster
07-15-2007, 09:11
Randytrapper I had my L5 and S1 worked on by the doc.I can sleep in a hammock without hardly any pain but for me as far as sleeping in a tent goes its a handful of meds before during and after I wake up. Goodluck dude.

Egads
07-15-2007, 10:10
You also should consider the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo.

I believe that has the most volume for the buck and most volume for the oz.

Double entry doors & no seams in fly

Egads

hopefulhiker
07-15-2007, 16:25
I had back problems too and found that the external luxury lite pack helped reduce the pressure on the spine.

Quoddy
07-15-2007, 20:11
For two, go with the Double Rainbow. For solo, I use the Contrail.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 20:27
Another possibility for two which includes a hammock would be one of the tarp-tents for hammocks (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P1270041.JPG) soon to be available from JackRBetter. If you pitch the hammock a bit high, another person can sleep below.

Appalachian Tater
07-15-2007, 20:34
A Thermarest Prolite 3 or 4 sleeping pad may be more comforatble than a non-inflating pad. You can get the short one to save weight.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 20:39
As for pads, when sleeping on the ground I use a Big Agnes insulated air core (http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?id=ia&PHPSESSID=38f7415886dfc1ec69aa59bdfafd95a6) - inflates to 2.5" and is pure heaven. I can actually sleep on this mat and not wake up hurting. The down side: you have to manually blow this up every night.

Jim Adams
07-15-2007, 23:32
try an MSR Hubba Hubba..two good sized doors, two good sized vestibules, fairly light for a two person, very ventilated and can pitch just the fly if you want to and leave the "tent" home or mail it ahead in non-buggy weather.

geek