PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry report

Jack Tarlin
07-15-2007, 12:42
I've been here in HF for the better part of a week. A lot of this time has been spent in the ATC office or the Outfitter shop. Consequently I've met quite a few thru-hikers......tho fewer each day. The vast majority of folks has passed through town already, and while there are certainly folks still coming, they're starting to run out of time. (It takes most folks 80-90 days to get from here to Katahdin). It is, of course, perfectly possible to summit AFTER 15 October, but most folks try and avoid this; a lot of the folks I've met this week are talking about flipping, and several actually left for Maine from Harpers. Actually, this might be a bit pre-mature as one could STILL get to Katahdin by 15 October by averaging less than 13 miles per day, but I think some folks are concerned about maintaing this average as they get further North.

In terms of the rest of the trip, it takes most people

2-3 days to hike Maryland
15-18 for Pennsylvania
5-6 each for NJ and NY
3 for CT
6 for MA
10-12 for VT
12-13 for NH
22-26 for Maine

Throw in 4 or 5 zero, or really abbreviated days and you get between 80 and 90 days hiking time.

In that one can hike Southern New England quite late in the season, if it were up to me, I'd keep going for a few weeks, and flip, if necessary, in CT or MA, as I'd rather finish in Kent or Williamstown......I REALLY would rather get PA, NY, and NJ out of the way and not have them hanging over my head
after getting to Katahdin; on the other hand,these states are probably a lot more pleasant to hike thru in October than they are in July.

As far as numbers go, there seems to be a slight drop according to the folks at the ATC office, but it's not that significant; there are between 30 and 40 fewer thru-hikers reported in to HF as of 12 July as compared to that same date last year.

Final "completion" rates will most likely be about the same as last year, or perhaps a bit higher as the Spring was quite mild down South this year, meaning fewer early drop-outs. All in all, I think the 2007 final numbers will be very similar to last year's, i.e. there'll be a slight drop in reported numbers at Harpers, but the number of folks to report a complete hike at the end of the year will be very close to last year's figures, with a similar completion percentage.

emerald
07-15-2007, 13:07
An exceptionally informative post filled with good advice for those still looking to become a 2000 miler this year! Thanks, Jack.

StarLyte
07-15-2007, 13:26
Great post Jack.

I love Harpers Ferry, and it's a hop, skip and a jump to Blackburn and Bears Den. :sun

Yahtzee
07-15-2007, 14:17
Almost time to make my yearly register entry at a carefully chosen (depending on date) shelter. It usually reads something like,

"ATTENTION NOBO'S. CONGRATULATIONS ON A REALLY GOOD HIKE. YOU GAVE IT A GOOD TRY BUT NO HIKER HAS EVER REACHED KATAHDIN FROM THIS POINT AFTER THIS DATE. DON'T LET ANYONE DIMINISH WHAT YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T REACH KATAHDIN. YOU HIKED TO THE BEST OF YOUR CAPABILITIES. EVERYONE ISN'T MEANT TO BE A THRU-HIKER. IF YOU NEED A RIDE TO THE BUS STATION, GIVE ME A CALL."

As someone who summitted on Oct. 16th, I heard enough riffs of a similar theme to feel compelled to pass the love on.

Scaper
07-15-2007, 14:20
I agree with Jack. I arrived in Harpers Ferry on July 27. I had to make it to Hanover for a wedding on Sept.1 . I averaged 22 miles a day with no zeros and arrived in Hanover on August 28 and rested for a day then flew out for wedding and came back on Sept 2 and averaged about 15 miles a day to Mt. k The fall colors in Maine were great Had to wait a day to climb Mt K due to weather and finished on Oct 9. Hikers coming thru Harpers still have time but they have put in the daily mileage.,

Jack Tarlin
07-15-2007, 14:30
Yahtzee---You misunderstood me entirely, I think.

I made it quite clear that people who were flipping a few days ago from Harpers were, in all likelihood, doing so prematurely. I absolutely think folks that are in town right now have plenty of time to continue their northbound hiking.

But this can't go on indefinitely, unless folks plan to hike a lot faster, take much less time off, or both.

Also, of course one can finish a thru-hike at Katahdin after 15 October, but very few folks WANT to do this: One's chances of encountering bad weather go up dramatically after the 15th of that month, and one can only legally use the Park as a "day-use" visitor after the 15th. It is cumbersome and difficult to do this.....one either has to have a VERY long last day, or one has to finish up one's Baxter miles over the course of several days. (Assuming that these folks want to hike every mile. A lot of folks that summit after the 15th actually skip the section from Abol to Katahdin stream, thus rendering their thru-hike incomplete). Most folks don't want to have to deal with any of this, so they make every effort to get there by the middle of the month.

Giving people the facts on how long the second half of their trip is likely to take isn't fear mongering; I'm merely offering information and an opinion. For SOME folks, flipping ahead at some point is a sensible option; for other folks, this is something to be avoided unless they see no other alternative. But pointing out that for most folks,time is running short, is hardly a bad thing to be doing. I actually think the info I posted above may prove useful to some folks, as well as being instructive for the folk splanning to hike next year.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 14:39
Excellent info, Jack. Thanks for sharing it.

thestin
07-15-2007, 15:25
Jack, great post and nice explanation of what is required to finish.
What are the actual numbers of thrus that have come through HF so far?

Jack Tarlin
07-15-2007, 15:47
Wow,I forget, now that you mention it, but I seem to think it was in the mid 400's. This does, of course, include lots of folks who haven't actually hiked all the way from Springer but somehow managed to be in the 2007 thru-hiker book anyway. (Hmmmmmm. :-? ) In anycase,the numbers were very close to 2006,at least as 0f 12 July, the last time I looked. The ATC will provide complete numbers at the end of the year, as soon as they're sure Southbounder season is over.

thestin
07-15-2007, 15:56
Thanks for the follow up.

I have heard (but don't know to be true) that some people have finished their hikes in November and even early December. By then, short days and chilly fords would make it a real challenge.

Jack Tarlin
07-15-2007, 16:15
There are Sothbounders who don't finish til well into January, or even later. I've run into SOBO's in Georgia, on their way to Springer, in mid-March!

Which is, of course, why prudent and wise people tend NOT to be SOBO's! :D

(For RickB and other humor-impaired Whiteblaze visitors,that was a joke).

thestin
07-15-2007, 16:19
Jack, I ran into a group of guys in May of 1992 in Georgia who were finishing up a SOBO.

Are there any online journals of NOBOs who finished after 10/15? It'd be interesting to see how they fared.

Jack Tarlin
07-15-2007, 16:50
I'm sure there are, tho it might take you awhile to find 'em. I don't think they're listed there by finish dates. You could always check the START dates of hikes or journals..... unless people flip, or unless they're hiking really fast, anyone who started after 20-30 June from Georgia will most likely be finishing in the snow.

rickb
07-15-2007, 17:06
Which is, of course, why prudent and wise people tend NOT to be SOBO's!

I thought the reason was that SOBO thruhikers generally feel a need to hike the entire Trail, despite the inconvenience.

Jack Tarlin
07-15-2007, 17:10
Thanx, Rick.

And here I was all this time thinking they did it that way cuz they actually like getting devoured by blackflies; they like spending Thanksgiving in a little wooden box in North Carolina, and they like hiking til Christmas.

Thanx for clearing all this up, I knew you'd show up sooner or later. :D

camojack
07-15-2007, 18:10
Which is, of course, why prudent and wise people tend NOT to be SOBO's! :D

SOBO's are doing it right; every reference I've seen to the A.T. says it runs from Maine to Georgia (http://gallery.backcountry.net/WorkingontheAT/IMAG0033)...just ask the ATC. :p

warren doyle
07-15-2007, 18:14
In my opinion, walking from just outside the park boundary near Abol Stream to the summit of Katahdin and down the Abol Trail (18.3 miles total) for a seasoned northbounder is not a VERY long last day.

ms doolittle
07-15-2007, 19:12
22-26 days for ME?

Really?

Crap.

mudhead
07-15-2007, 19:12
Going down Abol Slide after 15mi sounds like an elegant way to maim yourself. Just because it's doable, does that make it prudent? Add 1mi or so and just backtrack the Hunt trail. Same trail-time. Supposed to be fun...

camojack
07-15-2007, 19:26
Going down Abol Slide after 15mi sounds like an elegant way to maim yourself. Just because it's doable, does that make it prudent? Add 1mi or so and just backtrack the Hunt trail. Same trail-time. Supposed to be fun...

Conditions permitting, I'd recommend doing what I did...The Knife Edge. :o

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space... :eek:

ms doolittle
07-15-2007, 20:02
Conditions permitting, I'd recommend doing what I did...The Knife Edge. :o

I'm really looking forward to that particular section of the hike. :)

camojack
07-15-2007, 20:06
I'm really looking forward to that particular section of the hike. :)

In that case, I hope that conditions are permitting when you get there. :rolleyes:

If so, be vewy [sic] careful; it's a L-O-N-G way down... :eek:

Yahtzee
07-15-2007, 21:10
Jack, wasn't anything more than your post reminded me it was that time of year again. I actually do make that entry. Late goers, amongst whom I consider myself one, have good enough senses of humor to catch on.

ms doolittle
07-16-2007, 06:50
In that case, I hope that conditions are permitting when you get there.

If so, be vewy [sic] careful; it's a L-O-N-G way down... :eek:
tee hee

I've grown to really like exposure. I'm really hoping the conditions are good for it. If not, we're going to be up there for a while. We'll summit again a different and different route. ;)

The post about ME taking 22-26 days made me nervous. But after reading other's trail journals, I was able to get a better feel for how long it might take. We didn't figure that long and others haven't taken that long. So, I feel a little bit better now. I guess we'll see how it all pans out when he gets up there.

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2007, 03:19
Two quick points.....I'm glad Ms. Doolittle changed her mind about the Maine thing; the 22-26 day figure is based on my own hikes and my own observation of hundreds of other hikers. Obviously some folks take less time and many take more, but for most folks this seems about right, with the deciding factors being weather, injuries, and mainly, the ammount of time off one decides to take.

And I see that another hiker has posited that he doesn't think that most "seasoned" thru-hikers wouln't find walking from Abol Bridge to Katahdin to be a particularly long day. I have to disagree; most folks find that just going up and down Katahdin from Katahdin Stream Campground or Daicey Pond is long enough, and that camping at Abol or nearby to save a few dollars on the Baxter overnight fee really isn't worth it. But if he finds going from Abol to be easy, well more power to him.

I guess when one has slackpacked most of the way to Maine without having to carry a backpack more than a few times on the whole journey, the miles get a bit easier. Some "seasoned" hikers actually wear a backpack thru most or all of Maine, and this is liable to affect one's mileage now and again. :D

warren doyle
08-24-2007, 12:17
"A VERY long last day"?
In my opinion, walking from just outside the park boundary near Abol Stream to the summit of Katahdin and down the Abol Trail (18.3 miles total) for a seasoned northbounder is not a VERY long last day.
__________________http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
Warren Doyle

I'll stand by my previous post (one year after I backpacked the John Muir Trail with no resupply the last 12 days).

Northbounders (and even southbounders) should be aware that there are legal alternatives to not having to pay Baxter State Park to start or finish their treks.

Lone Wolf
08-24-2007, 12:21
"A VERY long last day"?
__________________http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
Warren Doyle

I'll stand by my previous post (one year after I backpacked the John Muir Trail with no resupply the last 12 days).

Northbounders (and even southbounders) should be aware that there are legal alternatives to not having to pay Baxter State Park to start or finish their treks.

the trinity is coming...:D won't be long before this thread is locked up.

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2007, 12:26
Feel free to stand by your post.

I'll stand by mine.

Most thru-hikers would rather not start their last day at Abol, but a bit closer.
For other folks, the extra miles are worth saving a handful of dollars. So be it.

And as I said, the walk from Abol might not seem so long after 120-odd days of slackpacking. Some other folks might want something a bit less strenuous on their last day; after all, carrying a backpack tends to take a bit more out of folks.

But Warren's right.....there are indeed legal ways to avoid giving the good folks at Baxter Park a few measly bucks if one is so inclined.

But most folks aren't so parsimonious as to pursue this.

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2007, 12:28
No need to lock it up, Wolf. Nothing much here to get riled about. Warren said there are ways to avoid paying money at Baxter. He's right. I said that for most folks, it isn't worth the trouble. To each their own. Move on, nothing to see here. :D

warren doyle
08-24-2007, 12:31
Lone Wolf,

I don't see anything uncivil, rude or harassing in the existing posts.

Based on my observations of northbounders I have seen on the trail in New England the last 34 years, I feel that the 18.3 mile hike from Abol Bridge up to the summit of Katahdin and down to Abol CG, while hard, is doable.

See you in Damascus sometime.

Happy trails!

Lone Wolf
08-24-2007, 12:36
Lone Wolf,

I don't see anything uncivil, rude or harassing in the existing posts.

See you in Damascus sometime.

yet. when you post civily the replies always seem to become uncivilized. just an observation.
see ya in damascus

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2007, 12:45
Gee, I guess we have different ways of looking at language. When someone says something is not very hard, the presumptive conclusion is that it's sorta easy.

But it's gratifying to see that he doesn't find anything rude, uncivil, or harassing when someone points out that carrying a backpack is a bit tougher than travelling with van support for most of the way. If I got met at the road practically every day by a vehicle, then I'd probably find that 18 mile stretch not very hard either. But most of us travel in a different style. To each their own.

Oh, and watching Wolf give tips on how one can provide polite and civil discourse here at WB provided my laugh for the afternoon. My thanks. :D

warren doyle
08-24-2007, 12:48
Lone Wolf,

I have hope that I will be able to post on WhiteBlaze without rancor.
Hopefully that will be in the past and people will need to visit the WB archives to relive that era.

gypsy
08-24-2007, 12:50
Cool... this is funny:D

Lone Wolf
08-24-2007, 12:53
yet. when you post civily the replies always seem to become uncivilized. just an observation.
see ya in damascus

ain't no tips in that statement, jack

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2007, 13:00
Geez, Wolf, you're probably the crudest, rudest, bluntest person here. For YOU to talk about "civility" is pretty much a joke. Sorry you can't see it, but it's really pretty amusing. There are all sorts of things you can lecture us about, but playing nice on the Internet isn't exactly one of them. :D

Johnny Thunder
08-24-2007, 13:35
Let's see...we've got RPG, Speed Dating, Suduko, and Telenovela (my favorite) but still no "*********"...maybe in 2008.

http://www.m-w.com/info/newwords07.htm

Johnny

jmcgarrahan
08-24-2007, 14:18
What is an i**********?????

Kirby
08-24-2007, 14:23
Any idea how many NOBOders have summitted this year thus far?

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2007, 14:23
This thread started out as a report on things from Harpers Ferry and then became (sort of) a discussion on how long certain sections of the Trail were likely to take. I suggest we try to return to that.

For example, people have been asking me lately when they are likely to finish up. I tell folks that in all likelihood, they'll finish around 37-40 days after they leave Hanover. I'd be curious to hear from folks who might have an opinion on this. If you've travelled North thru NH and Maine (or did that section going South), how long did it take you?

DavidNH
08-25-2007, 13:55
yes. Ms Doolittle.. Maine is one tought state. 26-30 days is not unsuall at all. I took a full month. Plus it is a gorgeous state.

Warren... 18.3 miles with a climb up Katahdin that is among the biggest of the entire hike IS a very long day. Even from Katahdin Stream campground ( 10 miles round trip) folks are advised by the park to leave early (before 8 am) and this generally involves 6+ hours of hiking. Now add 8 miles on TOP of that and you get a long day. You do seem to present a heck of an attitude in your posts. Get over yourself.

David

Mags
08-27-2007, 11:40
Warren... 18.3 miles with a climb up Katahdin that is among the biggest of the entire hike IS a very long day.

That would be about ~5000' elev gain total I believe.

I think it is safe to say, *most* people would find that a long day.

For some people, it could be a memorable way to end the trip and could be a good option. Just make sure you are up for it.
:)

warren doyle
08-27-2007, 12:25
Post #32 - Gee, I guess we have different ways of looking at language. When someone says something is not very hard, the presumptive conclusion is that it's sorta easy.

More putting words in my mouth. In my original post on this thread (#17), I never said that I thought walking from Abol Bridge to Katahdin and back down to Abol Campground was 'not very hard' so your 'presumptive conclusion' is based on a falsehood.

Mags #42 - Another reasonable post from a reasonable WB poster.

In my observations of the AT subculture over the last 34 years, there seems to be more criticism of people who desire to walk the entire AT in less than four months or who like to hike from dawn to dusk and who want to keep their zero/town days to a minimum and who want to keep their hike-related expenses down and who want to cross the Kennebec under their own power and who don't see a need to treat their water.
Usually criticism can be born from fear, insecurity, misunderstanding or jealousy/envy.

TJ aka Teej
08-27-2007, 12:36
I have hope that I will be able to post on WhiteBlaze without rancor.

rancor: The deepest malignity or spite; deep-seated enmity or malice; inveterate hatred.

That'll be entirely up to you, won't it Warren?

Just a Hiker
08-27-2007, 12:40
Hey all! I hike south every year and it takes me about 37 to 40 days to get to Glencliff, NH. Then, for some reason, I have a mental and physical let down and I have to take 2 or 3 days off to regroup. It seems like once I get up and over Moosilauke, my hike changes somehow, and I don't feel good again till I get well into Vermont. Do any other hikers feel this way? This has always bothered me. Take care!

Just Jim

Jack Tarlin
08-27-2007, 14:00
Not to belabor the point, but since someone else brought it up (#43 above):

If someone wants to hike in 4 months; or take minimal time off; take very few zero days, hike all day long, etc., that's entirely THEIR business. Likewise, keeping one's travel expenses minimal is also a personal decision, tho it shouldn't extend to using services one has no intention of paying for. And lastly, one has every right to do foolish or dangerous things while hiking; this behavior only becomes objectionable when one advises or encourages others to do likewise. Then, it becomes irresponsible. In short, what the author of Post#43 is missing (or more likely refusing to acknowledge) is that there are indeed certain sorts of things that should be left up to the individual and should therefore not be criticized or disparaged; on the other hand, there are certain sorts of things that WILL invite comment or criticism. People who are ultra-sensitive to this sort of criticism, instead of whining about it, can put an immediate stop to it by altering or improving their behavior, as has been suggested before.

Now, once again, I'd like to get back to the thread's original subject.....there are lots of hikers here in Hanover today and I've been talking to them about their plans for the next few weeks. Of those of you who have hiked from here to Katahdin (or the other way 'round), about how long did it take you?

Tim Rich
08-27-2007, 16:17
It took me about four years to get from Hanover to Katahdin. It was worth the wait. :D

This thread has some of the best passive-aggressive caterwauling I've seen in some time. Shouldn't be censored so heavily - these folks should frolic freely.

Tim

Mags
08-27-2007, 16:40
Of those of you who have hiked from here to Katahdin (or the other way 'round), about how long did it take you?

Gave me a good excuse to look over my AT journal again. What memories!

Anyway, it too me 32 days to get from Hanover to summiting the Big K.

With the mileage of the trail in 1998,that's about an average of just under 14 miles a day. Overall, the trip took me 5 mos. Suspect my numbers are pretty average for most people on a 5 mo pace.

My overall pack weight was heavier then and I was not in the shape I am in now in terms of endurance. Suspect I could do it less time now as an experienced thru-hiker with a (much) lighter pack.

Long story short: If the people in Hanvover are doing a 5 mo pace hike, the'll get there in a little over a month. Awesome fall foliage!

The six month pace people: (What's that? ~12 MPD?) They'll get there in early Ocotber. Pushing it a little bit. Not too bad, though.

4 mo pace people? They'll be finishing up about a week earlier than the 5 month paces (~18 mpd with my rough math). Should be good fall weather, too.

7 mo pace people? That's ~10 MPD. ~45 more days...and really pushing it.

All this "beer math" assumes a steady pace overall. As with all beer math, I just rounded the numbers as well. :)

October 1st seems to be a good guidline for finishing all the NoBo thruhikes, be it the AT, PCT or CDT. You are gambling with the weather around that time. Gets to be worse of a gamble each day after Oct 1st IMO.

Just my opinion. Just my .05 worth. YMMV. Etc. ETc. Etc.

Marta
08-27-2007, 16:51
How long for Maine? Going SOBO, I was on Katahdin July 3d and entered NH Aug. 4th, and reached Hanover on Aug. 23d, or around 50 days for the two states. I was taking it pretty easy, with lots of short-mileage days. Yeah, I think NOBOs ought to start stepping out if they're on a six-month pace and aren't in Hanover by this weekend.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Mags
08-27-2007, 16:59
A month seems like a generous amount of time for NOBOs, who ought to be in great shape (or maybe really beat up and run down) and with their eyes on the prize.

I think it really depends on each hiker. Assuming an "average" 5-6 month pace..yeah, a month seems about right. If you are a slower hiker and/or take more time off in towns, your MPD is lower and it may take longer.

FWIW, I was beat up after the Whites and my mileage slowed down a little. No zero days since Delware Water Gap probably did not help matters. :)

Marta
08-27-2007, 17:05
I think it really depends on each hiker. Assuming an "average" 5-6 month pace..yeah, a month seems about right. If you are a slower hiker and/or take more time off in towns, your MPD is lower and it may take longer.

FWIW, I was beat up after the Whites and my mileage slowed down a little. No zero days since Delware Water Gap probably did not help matters. :)

Sorry for the confusion...I have edited my post to clarify that I meant a month for the State of Maine, with another three weeks for NH.

I know what I mean--I just can't quite get it out in a logical manner sometimes.:D

But it's true that most of the early NOBOs I crossed paths with in Maine and NH were doing at least twice the mileage I was every day. As I was doing by the time I got down South.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Mags
08-27-2007, 17:11
I know what I mean--I just can't quite get it out in a logical manner sometimes.:D

I know what you mean!

I bet if someone did a survey of my posts before 9am Mountain Time (which means before the coffee kicks in!) and after, you'll find my thoughts and words don't quite match up at times. :D

camojack
08-27-2007, 19:18
"This message has been deleted by Frolicking Dinosaurs (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=6083). Reason: Internegator discussion"

Holy crap! I said absolutely nothing that could be construed as inflammatory...seig heil! :eek:

The Old Fhart
08-27-2007, 19:36
Emphasis mine
WD 07-15-2007 In my opinion, walking from just outside the park boundary near Abol Stream to the summit of Katahdin and down the Abol Trail (18.3 miles total) for a seasoned northbounder is not a VERY long last day.

WD 07-16-2007 Based on my climbs/descents of Katahdin (approximately forty - summer/fall/winter) utilizing all the trails, some more than others (Hunt; Abol; Taylor); I feel there are no 'easy' ways up or down Katahdin…………. For day hikers, a very early start is recommended (which unfortunately is controlled by the gatehouse hours) so you can get off the mountain before nightfall.

WD 06-15-2006 You can climb Katahdin …….You just have to walk a little bit over 18 miles, of which about 5 miles would be classified as 'rugged'….Get up before dawn and do the relatively flat 3.7 miles (easy nighthiking) to Pine Point arriving there at dawn. Continue on to the summit arriving between 1-2pm. …..Start descending no later than 3pm from the summit taking the Abol Trail to Abol CG

Jack Tarlin
08-27-2007, 19:46
Geez, getting up before dawn and walking until dusk or later sure seems like a kinda long day for me, but then, everyone's different.

And all this trouble to save the cost of a cup of coffee and a Sunday paper!

Sorry, but I'd rather have a pleasant last day; finish at mid-afternoon with a celebration at Katahdin Stream with friends or family; and know that I helped, in a small way, to support the maintainance and future of Baxter State Park.

Silly me.

rickb
08-27-2007, 20:02
I will pay may fees, fines, taxes and imposts, but it is refreshing to be reminded every now and then that they are antithetical to the spirit of the Appalachian Trail.

Jester2000
08-27-2007, 20:18
I will pay may fees, fines, taxes and imposts, but it is refreshing to be reminded every now and then that they are antithetical to the spirit of the Appalachian Trail.

Unless, of course, they're not.

dixicritter
08-27-2007, 20:19
I thought this thread was about a report from Harpers Ferry, not about Warren Doyle. Silly me.

Jester2000
08-27-2007, 20:31
I thought this thread was about a report from Harpers Ferry, not about Warren Doyle. Silly me.

Well, you know, it's about Harpers Ferry when one is in Harpers Ferry. Later (as in now), not so much. But I see where you're going with this, and I'll finish out your thought for you.

When a thread is drifting, shouldn't it always end up being about Jester?

dixicritter
08-27-2007, 20:37
When a thread is drifting, shouldn't it always end up being about Jester?

Sounds like a better topic to me. :)

emerald
08-27-2007, 20:40
I don't know what day-hiking Katahdin has to do with a report from Harpers Ferry either. Odd thread.:confused:

I drove from Orono to BSP, day-hiked Katahdin, ate dinner at Millinocket and drove back to Orono on a number of occasions. I slept in my own bed on those nights and freed up space for someone else who wanted to camp at BSP.:)

I didn't realize I violated Maine's Statutes or did anything contrary to Percival Baxter's wishes.:rolleyes: That doesn't suit someone from away? Too bad.:p

Johnny Thunder
08-28-2007, 00:45
I like to think of Jester dressed up like Mary Todd giving battlefield tours with Baltimore Jack.

Johnny