PDA

View Full Version : Eating in 08'

thelifejunkie
07-15-2007, 22:50
I feel very confident in my gear selection and all that, but when it comes to the food part of this adventure I'm a little perplexed. Not so much with what to eat, I have a firm grasp on that aspect, but I am wondering how I am to get the food that I want while I'm on the trail. I know of maildrops and all that, but I would love to hear about other people's plans so I might be able to see what others are planning to do and use that to better my plan. And of course I will share my ideas onced formed. Thanks, be well and smile.

Chaco Taco
07-15-2007, 23:03
Check out the cook and food section of the main forum. theer is an ongoing thread for this and you can get answers quicker.
Oh yea:welcome

Appalachian Tater
07-15-2007, 23:06
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=366

The supply article by Baltimore Jack on the left-hand side of that page has all the information you need.

fiddlehead
07-16-2007, 00:45
basically, it comes down to when you want to resupply from the towns stores, and when you think you need to send something because the town's are small and sometimes very limited grocerys. That's why it is a complicated question. It is really "Up To You" but Baltimore Jack's article on the subject is a great help in those decisions.
I think beginners will find it all a bit intimdating. don't sweat it too much. Sometimes the hardest part of the hike is the preparation. (for those in shape, experienced in the outdoors, and raring to go) Once you take that first step in Baxter SP or Amicola SP, the real fun begins.
The hike can be easier if you spend a considerable amount of time preparing and getting those maildrops, lists, PO hours, boxed up and ready to be sent.
But, on the other hand, it is often more of an adventure if you arrive in each town, not really knowing what you are going to walk out with because you wanted it to be a surprise. Sometimes surprises are good, sometimes not.
I'm sure you'll find out what you need to know in those other forums on the subject. It's wise to use a few maildrops though as some places have next to nothing as far as food goes: Neels Gap, Port Clinton PA, etc.
Have fun out there and remember, if you are into eating really good, the south east of the US has about as poor a selection of quality food as anywhere in the country. (deep fried everything in restaurants),
things like powdered coconut milk, curry powder, exotic spices, fresh baked goods, decent bread, bean sprouts, dehydrated hoummus, or tabouli, even decent cheese, etc. can be very very difficult to find.
If you care about quality, use mail drops and dehydrate some things.
Once again, it is a lot of work, but worth it when you open that box and everyone else is eating grits and mac and cheese with ritz crackers (again). But then, too each his own of course.