PDA

View Full Version : Bird Migration

DebW
10-14-2003, 22:26
On my recent 16 day hike of the northern Long Trail, I happened to encounter perfect conditions for the fall migration: about a day after the passage of a cold front, which produces a wind with a strong southerly -directed component. Heard a skein of honking geese fly overhead during the night while we were in the Cooley Glen shelter, protected from the 25 degree cold and biting wind by a tarp across the shelter entrance. The next day we could both see and hear the flights of geese heading south, as we headed out to the nearest road.

asmtroop3
10-15-2003, 08:35
Thanks for the report

saimyoji
02-02-2005, 23:53
Begining in late September all the way through January (depending on where you are) are great places to watch raptor (eagles, hawks, Osprey, kestrel, etc) migrating. Here in PA at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary you are nearly guaranteed to see raptors migrating. We went up in November 2004, saw around 300 raptors of various persuasion in a single sitting (about 3 hours). The 1 mile hike up to North Lookout is totally worth it if your into that stuff, and have the time. There is also a cool botanical preservation enclosure there with gift shop and services.

MOWGLI
02-03-2005, 09:37
I had all kinds of Common Loons down in Florida over the weekend. Of course, they are silent on their wintering grounds. They'll be heading north in a few more months.