PDA

View Full Version : New to Whiteblaze - a few questions

Conster
07-16-2007, 07:57
Hello everyone, I’ve been lurking around for a while but have finally registered and thought I would see if anyone could help me with a few questions.

I’ve been hiking for years mostly in Norway, Sweden and Scotland. I’ve always wanted to do a thru-hike of the AT and had provisionally pencilled it in for 2008. However my regular hiking buddy have dropped out, and I now stand in a position where I either throw in the towel or undertake the AT as a solo-hike.

Well I am definitely not going to give up on my dream of a thru-hike of the AT, so I guess that leave me as a solo-hiker

How safe is it to hike the AT solo as a female?

How would a foreigner (I am Danish) be received on the trail? And would it be acceptable to say take up the last space in a shelter, if an American came along later who then had to set up camp outside.
Reason for my last question is a Swedish mate got told she had no business taking up shelter space recently.
Is this normal? Or was she just unlucky?

Food! Oh yes, very important. It would be a logistically nightmare for me to arrange food drops, so I am going to have to get all my provisions from trail towns. What sort of standard of food can I expect? Will I be able to get fresh provisions, or will the food on offer mainly be dried stuff?

Gear. It seems that a lot of emphasis is put on the weight of your pack. I’ve have not really started to plan how I can cut down my weight yet, but on my last trip my pack weighed 21 pounds all in (apart from food) It looks like a lot of you do with a significantly smaller weight, but I need me stuff!

Bear bags, ok I am going to ask a really stupid question now. I’ve read that one should hang ones food overnight. How do I get my food up in a tree? Climb it??

jlb2012
07-16-2007, 08:35
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Bear bags, ok I am going to ask a really stupid question now. I’ve read that one should hang ones food overnight. How do I get my food up in a tree? Climb it??

There are several techniques for bear bagging but mostly they involve attaching a weight to a rope and throwing the weight over a branch of a tree. The weight that I use is a partially filled water bottle (soda bottle) and the rope I use is a stripped 550 cord (parachute cord with the center strands stripped out). Shoe lace cord is another possible cord to use for bear bagging. I use the water bottle weight because it is easier for me to wrist it and get an accurate throw and it is a piece of gear that I always have with me. Once you have the rope over the branch then just tie on the food bag, pull it up so that it is 3 meters above ground and 1.5 meter away from trunk of tree and 1 meter down from branch of tree.

Appalachian Tater
07-16-2007, 08:38
Definitely hike despite your friend quitting. You will not be alone on the A.T. as a NOBO thru-hiker unless you choose to be.

Shelters are first-come first-served, period. The person who told your Swedish friend she had no business taking up shelter space could not have been American, so he must have been Canadian. As a North American I apologize for that person, who was rude, or mentally ill. This is the first time I have heard of something like that. Please let your friend know that we apologize. I am surprised that no one spoke up against the rude person.

The fact that you are Danish will matter less than that you are female. Females are generally well-received on the trail. If anything, people should be more polite to you because of these attributes.

Read the "AT Re-Supply" Article by Baltimore Jack linked to from this page to answer your questions regarding food: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=366

There are a couple of places where a maildrop might be advised due to poor selection of supplies. The quality of fresh food will vary, as will the availability of dried fruits and vegetables. The American diet is every bit as awful as you have been told by the UK and European media.

Sounds like your pack weight is good and that you're fairly experienced. Some people do not carry enough stuff or they lie.

Sometimes a bear cable, hook, or box is provided. Otherwise, if you hang your food, there are several methods. The PCT method is perhaps the best. Here's a good article, though you could google one up with illustrations: http://tinyurl.com/amf3q

Lilred
07-16-2007, 08:44
Hi and welcome to whiteblaze. I am also a solo female hiker and have no problem hiking the AT. I've done around 600 miles of it. You'll meet up with so many people you'll have a partner in no time. Being a foreigner on the trail will probably be to your advantage. And no, don't ever give up your space in a shelter unless you want to. Shelters are first come, first served. Your friend probably just ran into an idiot. We seem to have a lot of those in this country.

As far as bear bagging goes. I always put a rock in one of my socks and tie it to the rope, then heave it over a branch. I can usually get it by the fifth try........

Resupply is a breeze on the trail. You can always mail stuff up ahead to yourself if you think resupply would be a problem in the next town. Don't sweat the small details, you'll learn as you go, just get here, that's the big step. Good luck and keep us posted

mrc237
07-16-2007, 08:47
VERY!!! You'll meet others just like yourself.
Or was she just unlucky?
Unlucky and intimidated!
Food! Oh yes, very important. It would be a logistically nightmare for me to arrange food drops, so I am going to have to get all my provisions from trail towns. What sort of standard of food can I expect? Will I be able to get fresh provisions, or will the food on offer mainly be dried stuff?
See Jack's advice on resupply.
Gear. It seems that a lot of emphasis is put on the weight of your pack. I’ve have not really started to plan how I can cut down my weight yet, but on my last trip my pack weighed 21 pounds all in (apart from food) It looks like a lot of you do with a significantly smaller weight, but I need me stuff!
You'll be fine with 21+
Bear bags, ok I am going to ask a really stupid question now. I’ve read that one should hang ones food overnight. How do I get my food up in a tree? Climb it??

No need to climb, search bear bagging on this site, you'll learn all you need to know. Good luck planning and stay locked in on this site plenty of knowledge here.

icemanat95
07-16-2007, 08:53
Don't worry about safety. The AT is significantly safer than most cities in the world by a HUGE margin and hikers look out for one another out there.

Food. Fresh food should be available, but for the sake of weight savings, most hikers content themselves with dry foods along the trail and binge on fresh foods in town. Vegetarians, especially vegans, have a tougher time with this, but it is doable.

Shelter space: The AT has a sort of unrealistic, but rigidly adhered to ethic, that there is "Always room for one more" in the shelters, at least during rain. It isn't true, of course, and when 14 or 15 people are crammed into a shelter built for 10, it becomes impossible to budge over anymore. However, I have NEVER seen anyone turned away for reasons of national origin. Dog's OK, a lot of folks don't like to share shelter space with dogs and can be adamant about that, but the AT is a public space and any of the public, including visitors from other countries, have the same right to use AT shelters as anyone else.

Gear weight. Don't sweat that either. Your base weight is fine. When I thru-hiked in 1995 most of us, men and women, were carrying packs that weighed in toward the higher end of the 40 pound range (with food and water and often, if not more regularly, into the 50 pound range. My own pack, at the beginning of my hike, weighed in at over 73 pounds and eventually got down to about 50. I wasn't worried about it though as I considered this weight training for some planned winter hikes and a potential trip to Alaska's Mt. McKinley/Denali.

The reality about pack weight is that there are a lot of ounce weenies out there who take this stuff way too seriously. They swear that you won't enjoy your hike or even be able to finish if you don't get your pack weight under x pounds. That's silly. Yes, to lessen your chances of injury and to make your walking more enjoyable, you should get your pack weight down to a point that is comfortable for your needs and desires, taking into account both trail and camp comfort.

Bear bagging as a whole lot easier than it sounds. Food toiletries and cooking gear should be hung out of the easy reach of bears...but they are capable of some amazing acrobatics. Just make a good effort and 99.9 percent of the time it will be sufficient. Use a sturdy stuff sack capable of taking all your stuff. You will also need about 50 feet of strong cord. I use parachute shroud line, more commonly known as 550 cord. You will also need a small bag into which you will put a small throwing stone. Tie the bag to the cord. Put a stone in the bag and toss it over a tree branch that is high enough that you can suspend your food at least 2 meters off the ground, at least one meter below the branch itself and at least 2 meters out from the trunk of the tree. The branch should be strong enough to hold the bag up there in a good wind, but slender enough that it won't take the weight of a bear.

At some shelters the re will be bear-cables in place to simplify your bear bagging, at others you will have to make do. At still others there has been no historic danger of bears and you will end up hanging your stuff in the shelters where mice become the main issue...and that's a whole other topic.

The official method for bear bagging is to use two bags of equal weight that drape over the branch. you use a hiking pole or a branch to push one bag up so that you can reach the other as it descends. and vice versa. This is a more foolproof method, but it is a severe hassle and most of us opt to tie the loose end of our single bear bag cord to the tree. The bear could, if it figures it out, chew or claw through the cord and drop the bear bag. It happens, but its rare.

Krewzer
07-16-2007, 09:04
Welcome "Conster".

Solo hiking as in "not having a partner to walk with."

It's a rare thing to Thru-Hike the AT alone. You will make and have lots and lots of friends on your hike. Enjoy!

TJ aka Teej
07-16-2007, 09:16

How would a foreigner (I am Danish) be received on the trail?
:welcome to WhiteBlaze! You've asked great questions! You're probably safer on the AT than you are right now, and I've always found ATers to be extremely welcoming and generous people. You'll be fine, have a great hike!

Conster
07-16-2007, 10:14
Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply to my questions.

A few more.

What's the best way to prepare oneself for the start of the hike weightwise? Obviously by hiking everyday you burn an significantly amount of calories, and I assume it must be difficult to ensure you consume the corrosponding amount of calories thus not to loose weight.
Do people normally eat "well" before the start of their hike, so to have a "reserve" of fat to draw on? And is there any sort of figure one should aim for over the normal weight range?

Oh and to you girls, how do you normally cope when the painters come calling when you hike?

dixicritter
07-16-2007, 10:18
:welcome to WB!

Here's a thread you might want to check out in reference to your last question... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20556

Actually here's a link to the Female Hikers Forum too... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=408

Appalachian Tater
07-16-2007, 10:20
Oh and to you girls, how do you normally cope when the painters come calling when you hike?

Check the "Female Hiking Forums" if you're asking about menstruation. You may stop ovulating after a while on the trail.

hopefulhiker
07-16-2007, 12:33
I would hike northbound because that is what most people do and there is more of a support structure (hostels, trail magic, shuttles) available. If you are not in shape then the trail will get you in shape.. I think the trail is very safe. A kind of thru hiking family emerges after a while. Also I would try to watch every ounce of gear because the AT can get really difficult and the less weight you have.. a half a pound makes a lot of difference. As for being from Denmark, there are a lot of foreign nationals on the trail.. Apple Pie is a triple crowner( all three cross country trails) and she was from Holland. It is one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done. you will not regret it...

Shutterbug
07-17-2007, 00:25
Hello everyone, I’ve been lurking around for a while but have finally registered and thought I would see if anyone could help me with a few questions.

I’ve been hiking for years mostly in Norway, Sweden and Scotland. I’ve always wanted to do a thru-hike of the AT and had provisionally pencilled it in for 2008. However my regular hiking buddy have dropped out, and I now stand in a position where I either throw in the towel or undertake the AT as a solo-hike.

Well I am definitely not going to give up on my dream of a thru-hike of the AT, so I guess that leave me as a solo-hiker

How would a foreigner (I am Danish) be received on the trail? And would it be acceptable to say take up the last space in a shelter, if an American came along later who then had to set up camp outside.
Reason for my last question is a Swedish mate got told she had no business taking up shelter space recently.
Is this normal? Or was she just unlucky?

As you prepare for your hike, spend a few minutes each day reading some trail journals. http://www.trailjournals.com . It is a great way to get a feel for the AT.

The General
07-17-2007, 01:19
Conster. Welcome to Whiteblaze, you have some good questions and have have come to the right place to ask them. The depth of experience and qaulity of advice from this site is hard to beat. I Thru Hiked from the UK in 2004 and will again in 2008. I had a great time and met many great people so dont worry you will be well recieved on the AT. Thru Hikers in general care for each other and the trail other people support Thru Hikers like no other I have experienced in the world. Get Planning and get on the trail you will not regret it. Good Luck.

J5man
07-17-2007, 14:52
Conster, welcome to Whiteblaze, I am a newbie and this site has been very hepful! FYI, I just left a Danish company after 10 years - Novo Nordisk- you may have heard of them. I have met several Danes throughout my tenure there and I will have to say, you know how to live! I have a small Akvavit collection (airline bottle size) on my shelf waiting to be taken on a camping trip or a hike. Skol!

Blissful
07-17-2007, 17:32
We met several "Brits" doing the trail this year - Yorkie, Spoony and Knife (I think were all their names) what a great gang and so encouraging. Hope you will go and do the trail! So great to have friends from around the world. It makes it all the more special, really.

As far as the shelters, it's first come first served. But personally I would tent as much as possible. Esp as a woman, much more privacy. :)

Lilred
07-17-2007, 17:45
We met several "Brits" doing the trail this year - Yorkie, Spoony and Knife (I think were all their names) what a great gang and so encouraging. Hope you will go and do the trail! So great to have friends from around the world. It makes it all the more special, really.

As far as the shelters, it's first come first served. But personally I would tent as much as possible. Esp as a woman, much more privacy. :)

I agree with Blissful. I have a tarptent I would much rather stay in than a shelter. I like the privacy. I don't like snorers or mice much.....

wilconow
07-17-2007, 17:58
here's a newspaper article about a current thru-hiker from denmark
http://ourvalley.org/news.php?viewStory=1025

Marta
07-17-2007, 18:00
I don't know if anyone has directed you to Red Dane's Trail Journal:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3860

Marta/Five-Leaf

WalkingStick75
07-17-2007, 22:41
Hi and welcome. I have met people from France, England, Germany and Australia and I think it works to your advantage. Most Americans and even more "American" hikers will go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I would only be repeating what others have said so enjoy your hike.

Also why you are hiking the AT in 2008 I plan on being in the Alps. Any information you can share (that is also in english) would be appreciated. Most information that I have found so far is in German.

Conster
07-18-2007, 05:15
I agree with Blissful. I have a tarptent I would much rather stay in than a shelter. I like the privacy. I don't like snorers or mice much.....

Ditto, I am planning on staying in my tent more or less all the time (apart from when the weather is really foul! And as for mice :eek: I dont like mice, no one told me about any mice!

Conster
07-18-2007, 05:18
Hi and welcome. I have met people from France, England, Germany and Australia and I think it works to your advantage. Most Americans and even more "American" hikers will go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I would only be repeating what others have said so enjoy your hike.

Also why you are hiking the AT in 2008 I plan on being in the Alps. Any information you can share (that is also in english) would be appreciated. Most information that I have found so far is in German.

Should be able to help you out there no problem. Now what exactly to you mean with the Alps? The French, Swizz or Austrian side? Or indeed the Slovenien Alps? I assume you mean a combination, and if that's the case do you have a route you would like to follow?
I can give you some suggestions, if you let me know how many miles you would like to hike a day and how many days you have for your trip.

Lilred
07-18-2007, 14:39
Ditto, I am planning on staying in my tent more or less all the time (apart from when the weather is really foul! And as for mice :eek: I dont like mice, no one told me about any mice!

Well, maybe someone should tell you about the mice then. They are in shelters all up and down the trail. Some people call them micro bears. My first night on the trail was in November, and a mouse was chewing my hair all night long, probably to use as nesting material. They get in your pack and try to get to your food. Leave all your zippers on your pack open at night if you're in a shelter so the mice can run in and out with ease. Otherwise, they might chew a hole in it to get in. When I stay in a shelter, I try to sleep with my head facing the open side, cause the mice run along the walls of the shelter. People have reported mice running over them at night. They don't bother me enough to keep me out of shelters, but if I have a choice, most often I tent. You'll get used to them after awhile. Another part of the trail experience I guess.

lightning
07-18-2007, 16:12
micro bears?!! that's hilarious.
one nite, i cought a mouse with his head in my snack bag... and i was camped (what-i-thought-was) a healthy distance from the shelter.

Mother's Finest
07-18-2007, 17:02
Good Luck Conster

Go Michael Rassmusen! Though I think Leipheimer or Contador will take it in the end.

Welcome to Whiteblaze.

peace
mf

WalkingStick75
07-18-2007, 21:39
I whish I could remember the name of the stone shelter in VA. I have never seen so many mice in one spot. I think they were having a mouse rodeo that night.
OK, I can live with the mice. In the Shenandoah National Forest one night we had a full size rat, not a big mouse it was a rat. A little mace discouraged him for the night. Next shelter the same problem so we tented it the remainder of the trip. My guess it was just because of the heavy traffic and users of the shelters not keeping a clean camp.

Conster
07-19-2007, 05:03
Good Luck Conster

Go Michael Rassmusen! Though I think Leipheimer or Contador will take it in the end.

Welcome to Whiteblaze.

peace
mf

Thanks for the welcome mf

If Rasmussen can just keep it together during the time trials he should be just fine. Would love to see him on the podium in Paris. It will be a party like 1996 :banana