PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

wesxero
07-16-2007, 09:44
So I'm pretty certain that all the info I'm getting is straight forward. I'm used to doing spontaneous hikes and all so this is a new game for me. Only questions I have are about crowds. Typically I solo everything but a partner makes the days go by a little smoother at times. So is it better to just wing it and join up with someone on the trail or to find a partner and plain together from the beginning?

Yahtzee
07-16-2007, 11:54
Start by yourself. If you find a partner cool, if not, you will have a crew of them. Unless you are constantly blazing, you will end up in a "bubble" of hikers, who even if you aren't hiking with, you will come to know quite well. Then you hit a town, the "jumble hikers" button gets pushed, and you leave town in a whole new "bubble".

I started by myself most hikes and never had trouble finding someone to hike with (speed, values, etc.).

wesxero
07-16-2007, 13:18
Ok, Thats what I was wondering. I'm used to being on more secluded trails so I rarely have run into other people. I guess it is alot different for the big trails. Thanks

7Sisters
07-17-2007, 20:34
Outside of my wife, there are very few partners I enjoy backpacking with. I find when you backpack with a partner, you wind up spending all day (day after day), within 40 feet of each other. After a while it really gets to you.

Whereas I have a more positve experience when I find partners on the trail for the following reasons:

1 - they are new people who you have never met - you spend time getting to know each other
2 - they are usually more compatible with your pace, or you usually don't spend much time together.
3 - there is a general understanding that you won't spend all day right next to each other.

Personally I enjoy the solitude during the day with company at camp.

Hope this helps.