PDA

View Full Version : stuck in M.A. and need HELP!!!

futs
07-16-2007, 10:43
:eek: me and my brother are hiching down to V.A. to jump back on the trail and are in M.A. right now.... were at rt. 90 trying to get to I84 but are stuck ... cops are hassulling us and wont let us hich... it's about 10:30 am monday ... and i was wondering if there was any trail angils around that could hook it up with a ride to I84 or to connetticet.... we have no cash at all for bus or train or we would do that ... my cell # is 207-399-4936 please give me a call if you can help :confused: THANK YOU

Appalachian Tater
07-16-2007, 10:56
According to Massachusetts law, hitchhiking is not allowed on turnpikes. This includes I-90. Hitchhiking other highways is allowed if you follow the rules of the road (stay on shoulder, walk facing traffic, do not pass 'pedestrians prohibited' signs). If you must hitchhike the Massachusetts Turnpike, stay a good distance from toll booths (off turnpike property) and do not enter the main highway on foot.

attroll
07-16-2007, 12:15
According to Massachusetts law, hitchhiking is not allowed on turnpikes. This includes I-90. Hitchhiking other highways is allowed if you follow the rules of the road (stay on shoulder, walk facing traffic, do not pass 'pedestrians prohibited' signs). If you must hitchhike the Massachusetts Turnpike, stay a good distance from toll booths (off turnpike property) and do not enter the main highway on foot.
Maine has the same law. What most people do it stand at the on ramp and hitchhike there. The on ramp is not on the turnpike so it is not illegal to hitchhike there.

oldbear
07-16-2007, 12:43
In my youth I used to hitch-hike from NYC into New England very often with a pack on so I am all too familiar with your current situation,.
A couple of things that work:
Entrance ramps before the "No hitch-hiking "signs
Hand written , easily readable signs -get a black magic marker if you dont have one already
In your situation I would simply write "PA " on the sign
The key to successful long distance hitch-hiking is knowing what rides to refuse
You really to be able to get from you are to the jct of I-684 in one ride. Puddle jumping across CT will do you no good
Then stay on I-84 to Scranton and find I-81
NYC is to be avoided at all costs
Good luck

katagious
07-16-2007, 17:45
Nuckin and Futs are now in Farmington CT. Still heading south. IF someone is heading south and feeling generous...give them a call..they have lots of good stories...they'll gladly exchange for a ride.

They are desperate...trail angels..give them a call....

angewrite
07-16-2007, 17:47
Nuckin and Futz- I hope you find your way back south. Wish I could help out somehow.

-Bobcat

futs
07-17-2007, 11:03
well were still in C.T. trying to finde a way out of this place... gotta love getting all the looks from the wannabe ganstas :) .... but could still use some help just to the next rest stop on the hiway or to a truck stop if any one is around ... thx for the tips guys

futs
07-23-2007, 19:32
well for any one that would like to know me and my bro did get back on the trail .... but it's in n.y. so were just going to start heading down so as not to waste any more time ..... BUT this morroning to top off a **** hole of a week hiching around my littal bro had a big rock full on his foot and now cant hike for what will be only a few day at most we hope :( ... but i just thought i would let every one know things were cool as far as get back to the trail. were around 40 mls be for bear mtn going south so if any one is around there please say hello im shore well be bor out of are minds .