PDA

View Full Version : The Long Path

A-Train
10-15-2003, 21:55
This trail is about 300 miles from the George Washington Bridge in NYC to the Catskills. I know it intersects the AT in harriman park. I'm really interested in hiking it. I know its not all completed/marked. Anyone hiked it or know much about it? I wonder if anyone has thru-hiked it yet? hmmm
A-Train

brian
10-15-2003, 22:10
Ive hiked several parts of it, including a 35 mile part in the catskills, and the majority of it in harriman. Beautiful trail, altho some of it is alomg roads. Most roads are marked well, but some are marked only @ entrances and exits. Make sure you have good maps!

Brian MacMillin, Washingtonville NY
Future THru Hiker 2013

MOWGLI
10-15-2003, 22:49
Originally posted by A-Train
Anyone hiked it or know much about it? I wonder if anyone has thru-hiked it yet?

Yeah, a bunch of people have thru hiked it. The trail is maintained by the NY NJ Trail Conference, the same organization that maintains the AT in New York and NJ.

The Long Path goes through the Shawangunks (Gunks), which is one of the prettiest places on the planet. It also passes through the Bashakill, which is a 2250 acre marsh. It's one of my very favorite places.

A-Train, if you take the A-Train to the GW Bridge and take a bus or walk across the GW Bridge, you can walk to Piermont, which would be a great LONG day hike. Then you could take a bus back to the GW Bridge, and the A-Train back to Brooklyn. The walk along the Palisades is really cool.

stranger
10-19-2003, 19:53
The Long Path was built so NY could have it's own "Long Trail" and has never really been a true long distance trail. I used to work with someone who was in charge of the extension a few years back past the Catskills. The trail was never intended for a thru-hike and I would imagine it wouldn't be much of a wilderness trip.

I am sure things have changed but I believe there is over 60 miles of road walking, and the vast majority of it is on private land that prevents camping...although I am sure people ignore that. I honestly don't know why the NY-NJ Trail Conference puts so much energy into the LP when they already have a much better trail...the Finger Lakes Trail.

I think the lure of the Long Path would be the idea of it, starting across the river from Harlem...and ending in upstate NY in some farmland. I would recommend the Finger Lakes Trail or Long Trail instead.