PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Coffee

joburnet
07-17-2007, 16:08
I had this for the first time at a greek cafe in San Antonio and it's very strong but I like it. You just need to grind up the coffee so the grounds are very very fine. Then just boil the coffee in a small pot with a few ounces of water, making sure to stir so it doesn't burn.

After it's done pour it in your cup and let it sit for two minutes or so, the grinds will settle to the bottom and it's ready to drink. When your done you'll have the grinds at the bottom of your cup and they almost look like a thick syrup.

I haven't tried this while backpacking yet, but I'll give it a try this weekend. I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Alligator
07-17-2007, 16:15
My father-in-law drinks it. There's a special pot that is used to make it. I don't know if it helps or not. The pot has a 'waist' which may hold back the grinds.

joburnet
07-17-2007, 16:41
I think the pot has something to do with the foam that it's supposed to have. I don't make it right but it still is pretty good.

Maybe someone that has expirence in a coffee shop can chime in.

katagious
07-17-2007, 17:12
The turkish pot is called "tanaka", I beleive the shape is such that it lends well to leaving the grinds behind once settled and you are ready pour.

Real Turkish coffee as opposed to that of some other middle eastern countries includes boiling sugar with the water at the same time as the coffee. Other countries may add it afterwards or not at all.

You may make you coffee very sweet "Helou" or somewhat sweet "Mazbout" if you decide on no sugar it would be "Murra".

To make the coffee:
Per person:
1 very heaping teaspoon of finely (expresso grind) ground coffee. I prefer arabica.
1 heaping teaspoon sugar, or less to taste.
1 small coffee cup water (demitasse or turkish size)

Bring coffee, water and sugar to a boil together. When froth begins to rise, remove from heat. Stir, and return to the heat until the froth rises agai. Then remove, give the pot a little tap or two and repeat once more. Pour immediately into each cup, allowing a little froth to each. Froth is forced out by making your hand tremble as you serve..no problem for some of us haha. The grounds will settle to the bottom of the cup.
It's common for natives to flip their cup upside down onto their saucers and have someone with insight read the grounds.

damush
07-17-2007, 18:19
will katagious make me turkish coffees in the morning? i would totally be your hiking partner...

Fat Man Walking
07-31-2007, 17:20
Is this what they serve in Turkish Prisons?:banana

Wonder
08-01-2007, 10:46
Don't forget the trade mark of turkish coffee....cardommom. Ground up with cinnimon in the grounds. A stove top coffee pot(a mini purciloator....and I just add, don't purc normal coffee, boiling coffee disolves the oils and burns the meat of the bean)...I HAVE made something similar on trail. Just boil water, at very very fine ground coffee....finer then espresso..powder almost. If you go with drip gind or coarser, you will need a french press...different lesson.
Just add coffee to cup and pour water over...let sit 2-3 min, and swirl and swig.
There you go!
(have I mentioned that I'm a coffee GEEK!)

Wonder
08-01-2007, 10:46
Update to last post.....it is NOT a stove top coffee pot, but stove top espresso pot....just a fancy pot for boiling water....my MSR works fine

oldbear
08-01-2007, 11:42
I think that the device they use to make Vietnamese iced coffee would work really well in a backcountry application. What it is a metal saucer with a cylindrical container attached to it. The whole thing looks like a hat . The coffee gets placed into the container , The "hat " is put over a cup , water gets poured in and Viola ! Great coffee on trail
My best guess is that any good oriental food store or market would carry them.

sarbar
08-01-2007, 12:56
Oldbear, when I worked for the Asian importer, we carried the Vietnamese coffee makers. Lightweight, and easy to use! They sit on your cup or mug as well, and are nifty.
(Afterall, Vietnam has a heavy French influence......which is where the concept of the coffee filter comes from)

oldbear
08-01-2007, 13:24
Sarbar I agree ,They're lighweight , inexpensive, idiot-proof and basically indestuctable - That sounds like the perfect piece of equipment to me .
Now where can I find a couple of ice cubes ?

Wonder
08-01-2007, 13:33
At some outfitters, they sell something similar. A plastic filter you put over your cup. Oh, and don't forget the coffee sock!

gold bond
08-01-2007, 14:03
Does this Turkish coffee come wrapped in saran wrap in a small block? No wonder you guys are so impressed, I mean addicted...no impressed by it!]
Can we drink a bowl...I er mean...a cup of it!

sarbar
08-01-2007, 14:26
Now where can I find a couple of ice cubes ?

You don't carry the UL Ice Maker 4000 in your pack? Sheesh, I though everyone had one! :D Hehheh
(Though......I have been known to dig deep in snow banks up high to get clean snow! Yum!)

Wonder
08-01-2007, 14:32
Does this Turkish coffee come wrapped in saran wrap in a small block? No wonder you guys are so impressed, I mean addicted...no impressed by it!]
Can we drink a bowl...I er mean...a cup of it!

I'm not totally sure. It would be a great way to package it. The only thing that I've seen come in little blocks is tea. Just scrape some off

oops56
08-01-2007, 15:52
o K i got two of them put in grounds pore in water also there is small lid with holes that fit inside push down to squeeze the last drop out of it. The left one is alum. on the right its ss. If need be i can take a other pic. to see all the iner working let me know

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_coffeestran.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/coffeestran.jpg)

Fenrir
08-01-2007, 17:40
I love Vietnamese coffe (and Vietnamese food!) and I just wanted to point out that what most people think of as Vietnamese coffee also has sweetened condensed milk in it to make it sweet, so probably out of luck making on the go. The small filters a great unless your mug/pot whatever is too wide for it to sit :eek:

Skidsteer
08-01-2007, 18:34
o K i got two of them put in grounds pore in water also there is small lid with holes that fit inside push down to squeeze the last drop out of it. The left one is alum. on the right its ss. If need be i can take a other pic. to see all the iner working let me know

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_coffeestran.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/coffeestran.jpg)

Where'd you get them, Oops?

oops56
08-01-2007, 20:11
Where'd you get them, Oops?
ebay just look up one coffee maker or coffee filter. there some on there not like mine but close

Chaco Taco
08-01-2007, 22:38
So I have some really good coffee I wanna take. Whats something that I can take to have as an easy filter so I dont have the grounds in the coffee.

Midway Sam
08-01-2007, 22:45
So I have some really good coffee I wanna take. Whats something that I can take to have as an easy filter so I dont have the grounds in the coffee.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13559&memberId=12500226

oops56
08-01-2007, 22:46
Coffee paper filter put over cup:banana

tanpuma
08-01-2007, 23:10
I get all my cooking recipes from you whiteblazers:
all for coffee, so far my first is the cold brew method.
that was in coffee talk. I tried it very smooth, but weak. Maybe I did something wrong? I used a fine grind and the same amount coffee as usual.
Now I have to try turkish or greek coffee, sounds easy.
super fine grind &a little water in a tiny pot.

If you see a guy hiking with only a tarp, coffee pot and gorp. that's me.
I can set up my espresso stand right on the AT.

Uncle Silly
08-01-2007, 23:13
tanpuma, where'll you be setting up in late august? i'll take a triple-shot red-eye, please.

to go, obviously!

tanpuma
08-02-2007, 22:22
My favorite spot is the loft mountain campground area in SNP. there should be blackberries left for your side treat. I met a travelling massuese there in July, perhaps we could sell a soothe and Java package. Maybe some SoBos will show up?

Dances with Mice
08-02-2007, 23:06
So I have some really good coffee I wanna take. Whats something that I can take to have as an easy filter so I dont have the grounds in the coffee.French press cup (http://www.smartcafe.co.uk/products/hot_cafetiere_travel_cup.asp). It says 'chrome' but I've only seen plastic. When not used for coffee it's just a regular insulated cup. If insulation's not important it's just a cup.

Don't get the mugs (http://www.smartcafe.co.uk/products/hot_cafetiere_mugs.asp), I've had two and both leaked.

aaroniguana
08-02-2007, 23:25
I use this:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48039869

and this:

http://www.rei.com/product/708069?vcat=REI_SEARCH

They are my luxury items, the only ones I need. I'm not a coffee geek, I'm a coffee SNOB.

Wonder
08-03-2007, 08:53
Jet Boil makes a frech press attachment for you luxury hikers out there. Me, I think that next time I'm gonna figure out how to dehydrate espresso.
Tanpuma....thanks for the proper spelling of the espresso. I can't tell you how many orders I get in a day for EXpresso.......makes me cringe

tanpuma
08-09-2007, 23:50
Wonder: you do know about the instant espresso available? it is not bad if you desparately need to reduce your poundage, coffee is one of my ten items in my survival pouch. Along with love, air, water, pillow, poncho, cream, lemon zest, fire, and kleenex.

Wonder
08-10-2007, 07:55
Instant espresso? I think I'm scared....

skinny minnie
08-10-2007, 20:46
I love Vietnamese coffe (and Vietnamese food!) and I just wanted to point out that what most people think of as Vietnamese coffee also has sweetened condensed milk in it to make it sweet, so probably out of luck making on the go. The small filters a great unless your mug/pot whatever is too wide for it to sit :eek:

You could experiment with a mix of powdered milk and/or powdered coffee creamer - add some powdered or granule sugar, carry along a small bag to add it in. I've been meaning to play around with different combo's for a while, see what I think tastes best. Perhaps I'll update once I have.

Skidsteer
08-10-2007, 20:52

Admittedly, I'm prejudiced (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21381).

Melitta filters pack much better than the basket filters described in the thread and I use them exclusively now.

Refer to post # 30 for the final version of the 'filter basket'.

For the main cup I have gone to using a one quart polypropylene container I found in a thrift store for 10 cents(?). The equivalent can be found in grocery store cotton candy containers (http://www.jumpcut.com/fullscreen?id=2DA8D984225311DCB80A000423CF382E&type=image).

The entire kitchen packs up as shown in the beginning of this video (http://www.jumpcut.com/view/?id=F7BDF4F61ECB11DCAE08000423CEF682).

oops56
08-10-2007, 22:56
Here is a hit for you ones that use a soda bottle for your alcohol. I put food coloring 2 drops or so can see its not soda or water to drink plus if you spill some can see it.:)

tanpuma
08-11-2007, 00:32
hey you french pressers, I saw a small ?11 oz ish, double walled with lid and integral french press type of travel mug. seemed light and multipurpose.
it was on sale at starbuck's. I know-- what was puma the mancat that hand grinds his Righteous Beans coffee -- doing in starbucks?
getting free newspapers out of the bin there.
If you don't go for that press system, try my ultralight thermos for your hot drinks: get an aluminum bottle from those "energy" drinks, wash,
cover with the blue foam pad stuff, duct tape together. very light and works better than those expensive heavy silver bullets. can also be a hot water bottle to keep you warm.