PDA

View Full Version : Comments on wearable bags: wallcreeper, nunatuk, rock wren?

Auntie Mame
07-17-2007, 21:41
I know these kinds of rigs have been mentioned over the years on Whiteblaze. Wearable sleeping bags sound like they might serve a purpose in theory, but are there users out there who can comment on their utility, pro's and cons? Jacks' quilts included with the above mentioned. Thanks.:-?

Marta
07-18-2007, 06:10
The only one I've tried is the Raku. In cold weather, it's Da Bomb! There are only two negatives about it:

1) If the nightime temperature is above 50 degrees, it's too hot.

2) It's hard to get out of it on a cold morning.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Auntie Mame
07-18-2007, 07:00
Sweet! Did it save you from having to carry a warm jacket, or pretty much serve as a mobile sleeping bag. Could you wear the thing and actually do stuff in camp?

Marta
07-18-2007, 07:26
Absolutely! I used it from Nov. 4th through Jan. 11th, when I reached Springer. I didn't carry a warm down jacket or insulated vest for camp wear. I got into the bag as soon as I stopped hiking and wore it while cooking, etc. I didn't take it off until I packed up in the morning.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Jaybird
07-18-2007, 07:37
I know these kinds of rigs have been mentioned over the years on Whiteblaze. Wearable sleeping bags sound like they might serve a purpose in theory, but ...........................................:-?

why not take pink footie pjs with you, instead?

i do!:D

SawnieRobertson
07-18-2007, 09:00
Marta, I should have asked to see it at the time. You know, like "Please break down your bag for me so I can see." <g> So, now I've got to ask what is its outer shell made of? Is it flame resistant, retardant? Cooking in it somehow sounds scary to me, but all the rest sounds GREAT!--Kinnickinic

take-a-knee
08-22-2007, 11:55
Sawnie, if you are using an alcohol stove, you'd have to be really careless to set your bag on fire. I have a Feathered Friends Rock Wren and my only complaint about it is that is too warm for the Southeast much of the year, as the stock Wren has a half-zip (though it can be ordered with a full zip if you aren't in a hurry). I just ordered an Exped Wallcreeper and I think that will solve that problem, as it has a full zip. I sleep in a Hennessy hammock.

Marta
08-22-2007, 12:34
Sorry, I didn't see this before I left for the JMT, Sawnie...

I don't think the Raku is flame retardant, but neither do I think most of my other hiking clothes are. All that synthetic stuff is either flamable, or would melt onto your skin in a most unpleasant way. A burning incident is one of my big fears, so I'm very cautious about using fire near me and my clothing.

The exterior of the bag is somewhat water repellent. Drops of moisture bead up on it.

BTW, I didn't take the Raku with me on the JMT. I thought it might be too warm, and it probably would have been. The Raku has a half-zip and is definitely a winter bag.

Marta/Five-Leaf

SawnieRobertson
08-22-2007, 15:29
Sawnie, if you are using an alcohol stove, you'd have to be really careless to set your bag on fire. I have a Feathered Friends Rock Wren and my only complaint about it is that is too warm for the Southeast much of the year, as the stock Wren has a half-zip (though it can be ordered with a full zip if you aren't in a hurry). I just ordered an Exped Wallcreeper and I think that will solve that problem, as it has a full zip. I sleep in a Hennessy hammock.

Not to worry, Take-A-Knee. I do not use flamable liquids. I am prone to be careless sometimes though, so it is up to me to check out the whole possible scene in advance. There are no foolish questions.--Kinnickinic

FanaticFringer
08-22-2007, 16:29
I love my JRB No Sniveller.www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List.htm