PDA

View Full Version : backpack advice

doctor music
07-18-2007, 02:03
I know this is an AT forum but I thought I'd put this out there.

I'm a regular backpacker working my way toward lighter and lighter weights. My weeklong trips in the Sierra are down to 35 lbs with food, water and bear canister. I love the Gregory Z pack I'm using now.

I'm about to take a solo 100-mile trip which will take me up to 9 days with no resupply. Bear canister is required for most of it. Since this trip is solo I'll be carrying everything including a tent (Seedhouse 2). I've bought an Osprey Crescent 85 with the JMT in mind as well as this trip. For longer trips which don't allow frequent resupply I'll need a larger pack the the Z. This pack is 7 lbs but my hope is that it will be much more comfortable than a lighter pack with less suspension.

Anyone have any thoughts out there? Thanks.

strez
07-18-2007, 10:16
I know this is an AT forum but I thought I'd put this out there.

I'm a regular backpacker working my way toward lighter and lighter weights. My weeklong trips in the Sierra are down to 35 lbs with food, water and bear canister. I love the Gregory Z pack I'm using now.

I'm about to take a solo 100-mile trip which will take me up to 9 days with no resupply. Bear canister is required for most of it. Since this trip is solo I'll be carrying everything including a tent (Seedhouse 2). I've bought an Osprey Crescent 85 with the JMT in mind as well as this trip. For longer trips which don't allow frequent resupply I'll need a larger pack the the Z. This pack is 7 lbs but my hope is that it will be much more comfortable than a lighter pack with less suspension.

Anyone have any thoughts out there? Thanks.

I have the Crescent 110. I use it when I take my two small kiddies packing and need to haul gear for three (last week I had 80 pounds in it for a three-day trip in Pennsylvania). The Crescent carries weight *extremely* well. I'm sure you will be pleased with it. However, it's very heavy (as you noted) and I will probably use my Aether for solo weeklong trips, which is about half the weight and can haul weight in the 40-45 pound range.

taildragger
07-18-2007, 10:31
I specifically bought my Gregory Whitney with the JMT and Colorado Trail in mind. Look at the trail journals (on the pct website) to get an idea of what people take for gear on the trips.

funbun
07-18-2007, 22:17
I like the GEarskin y Moonbow Gear. It's good for slackpacking as well as longer hikes.