PDA

View Full Version : An odd but useful gear idea

The Wisconsinite
07-19-2007, 09:15
I was reading a lot of the complaints about mice and critters in the shelters, along with a thread about keeping your backpack dry. Then I read this article (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/07/07/2007-07-07_fighting_rats_is_his_bag.html), and it kind of clicked (the article is about scented garbage bags that repel rats and rodents for those who don't want to click the link). Use a rodent-proof bag as an inner backpack liner. Your stuff stays dry, and rodents stay away. Yes, yes, you can thank me later. The best part is it doesn't seem to use stuff that smells bad, at least to me, eucalyptus smells pretty darn good (like Vicks vapor-rub). Apparently is also works on racoons. No word on bears, but at least you might not have mice chewing into your pack when you're not looking.

Yahtzee
07-19-2007, 09:56
I read the same article a few weeks back but didn't make the connection to using it on the AT. I will definitely be taking these out with me next trip.

Thanks.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-19-2007, 10:11
My luck is I'd run into a bear with a chest cold

Fiddleback
07-19-2007, 10:31
And for gosh sakes, watch out for that community of koalas that escaped from the sanctuary south of Harpers Ferry. Koalas can be violent when disturbed...

It's true...I read it on wikipedia. The violent part, not the escape...;)

FB

refreeman
07-19-2007, 10:48
Hmmm, interesting solution. So the core idea is eucalyptus repels rodents. Maybe Repel’s Lemon Eucalyptus Pump Insect Repellent sprayed on a backpack might have the same effect. Backpacker Magazine’s last issue did an insect repellent effectiveness comparison study and Repel’s Lemon Eucalyptus Pump Insect Repellent came in third (First and second was 100% Deet). Could eucalyptus keep EVERYTING away? Insects and rodents/varmints. Nothing could be better than accolades of success from a New York City field test on rats and raccoons from that article. Could a chronic backpacking problem be solved? I think I’ll need a bigger bottle. What if I got some concentrated eucalyptus gel and diluted it with water and put it in a hand pump plastic plant spray bottle. Spray my pack, let it dry and then give it the AT shelter test.

The Wisconsinite, thanks for this post, seems to have more and more value as I contemplate.

Careful everyone, you might just wake up to see a Koala Bear devouring your gear. LOL

Thanks again The Wisconsinite.

Freeleo
07-19-2007, 11:09
could one assume that it would not attract bears indigenous to the trail to your bag?

The Wisconsinite
07-19-2007, 12:33
Anyone know a bear we can test this on? Maybe a trip to the zoo and an "accident" near the bear cage is in order. Just kidding. But I bet you could go to the zoo and ask a bear keeper. I mean, it wouldn't be good if it attracted bears to you.

Refreeman, I believe there is other stuff in there besides Eucalyptus. I think some mint and a few chemicals. However, I was thinking someone could call the company and see if it comes in a bottle. Maybe they could donate some for a shelter test. Let them know how many mice are really out there :).

Also, I wonder how long it works for. I mean, Eucaluptus and mint don't exactly smell bad. What if trail maintainers sprayed a shelter once or twice a year. Who knows, we could be looking at mice free shelters (yes, I can see the old timers just saying "Arrrgg... back in my day, we had to fight mice to stay alive, you kids have it easy..").

Jim Adams
07-19-2007, 12:48
Anyone know a bear we can test this on? Maybe a trip to the zoo and an "accident" near the bear cage is in order. Just kidding. But I bet you could go to the zoo and ask a bear keeper. I mean, it wouldn't be good if it attracted bears to you.

Refreeman, I believe there is other stuff in there besides Eucalyptus. I think some mint and a few chemicals. However, I was thinking someone could call the company and see if it comes in a bottle. Maybe they could donate some for a shelter test. Let them know how many mice are really out there :).

Also, I wonder how long it works for. I mean, Eucaluptus and mint don't exactly smell bad. What if trail maintainers sprayed a shelter once or twice a year. Who knows, we could be looking at mice free shelters (yes, I can see the old timers just saying "Arrrgg... back in my day, we had to fight mice to stay alive, you kids have it easy..").

Back in my day....we just carried a cat!:banana

geek

Grumpy Ol' Pops
07-19-2007, 13:31

geek

What size stuff sack do you use for the cat? Does it (the cat -- not the stuff sack) come in a lightweight model?

I've used a small bottle of Eucalyptus oil for many years whenever I use a sauna. I keep it in my medicine cabinet, and over time a few drops of it have fallen onto the shelf under the bottle. While I've never had mice or other shelter critters (or bears, for that matter) in the cabinet, I've used it a few times on a bandanna in my pocket while hiking. It did seem as though fewer mosquitoes and gnats bothered me.

Jim Adams
07-19-2007, 13:35
The cat began the hike as the light model!!!!!

geek

CaseyB
07-19-2007, 16:07
Yeah you've said before, but refresh my memory.....how fat did the cat get? Wasn't it like 15 lbs? 3/4 of a weight weenies whole load.

Jim Adams
07-19-2007, 16:09
yeah, 14lbs at the end f the A.T.

geek

briarpatch
07-19-2007, 16:48

geek

Real hikers carry ratsnakes. Same rat eating instinct, but a whole different level of conversation starter.. :eek:

Jim Adams
07-19-2007, 17:02
yeah, thought of that but was afraid that the "noise" would keep me up at night!
geek