PDA

View Full Version : Moonbow GearSking on a Thru Hike

NutellaTheHun
07-19-2007, 15:08
I am new to the WB forums. I just have a question...
Has anyone had any experience in thru-hiking the AT with a Moonbow GearSkin??

http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1Custom%20packs/Gearskins/gearskin.html

dixicritter
07-19-2007, 21:06
That's SGT Rock's favorite "pack". He and our oldest boy both have one. Rock plans to use his on his thru next year.

Johnny Swank
07-19-2007, 21:10
I made something similar for me and the missus. Love it, love it, love it. Its like carrying a big ol' pillow. I did put on a mesh pocket on the outside just for little junk, but the concept is sound. You can't beat $150 (or whatever the current price is) for a custom-made pack. Moonbow makes some great gear.

Grimace
07-31-2007, 13:53
I'm a big fan of the Gearskin though I got it after my thru-hike when I re-evaluated all of the weight I was carrying. I can't speak to using it on the AT, but I did use it on shorter trips - JMT 230 miles or so and a 7 day trip through Glacier. It was great on both trips and I continue to use it on every backpacking trip. Everything is easily accessible and still very comfortable when carrying 9 days of food. (Only 1 place to resupply on the JMT. )

My only complaint is packing up in the rain. With a traditional pack you can sit in your tent and get everything together staying relatively dry. With the Gearskin, the tent goes in first, requires semi-precise folding, and semi-careful packing. Lots of stuff can get wet if you're not careful.

It's an awesome pack. Go for it.

twosticks
07-31-2007, 14:10
Seems pretty expensive for a couple of straps. I just picked up an Osprey Atmos 50 for $67.

Fenrir
07-31-2007, 22:12
Where'd you get a deal like that?

twosticks
08-01-2007, 11:01
rei-outlet.com

It's a mens small, but they also have a women's large.

rgarling
08-01-2007, 11:35
If someone is interested in a gearskin, I have one that I'll sell. I don't have it with me, so I'd have to measure it later as far as sizing. (I'm 5'9" average build) I'll ship it to you for $80.

Skidsteer
08-01-2007, 18:07
If someone is interested in a gearskin, I have one that I'll sell. I don't have it with me, so I'd have to measure it later as far as sizing. (I'm 5'9" average build) I'll ship it to you for $80.

Pity. I'd be all over your offer but I'm 6' 1".

HangnOut
08-01-2007, 19:21
Email sent

hammock engineer
08-01-2007, 20:34
That is the pack that I am using right now. I really like it. 180 miles so far and no problems. Just be warned no one hiking knows about it, so be ready for just about everyone you talk to ask you about it. Works great for all different weights.