PDA

View Full Version : Mountainsmith Auspex

Fenrir
07-19-2007, 19:22
I already have this pack, so I was considering taking it on the AT, maybe to save a little money not having to buy another one. How do you guys feel about this pack? Also for anyone who has it what do you do about the waist-strap I remember it being a little small and my waist has shrunk since then. Any input would be appreciated.

peakbagger
07-19-2007, 21:01
That pack was quite popular on the trail when it first came out several years ago. I still use it and have about 1000 miles of section hiking on it. If you get your pack weight where it needs to be, you dont need to carry the top pocket as there is plenty of room in the main comparment, although I carry mine as its a good place to store things you need to get to quickly. The big plus with the pack when it came out is that it was offered with two sizes of waistbands that could be interchanged. Unless you do major modifications, if the waistband is too big for you, you need to either find the smaller waistband or buy another pack.

Like any older mountainsmith pack, it has lots of adjustments. If you adjust them correctly, the pack will fit real well and carry a good load. Adjusted poorly, it can be a miserable thing to carry. Take a good look at the Torso length adjustment and go from there.

squeeze
07-19-2007, 23:08
I used the Auspex during my thru in 2003. For me, it carried best with about 30lbs or so. I got my pack weight down later and it was more pack than I needed, but I stuck with it. I still use it for short overnighters when I want to carry a few more luxuries up to about 36lbs.

My waistband fit good when I started my thru. Later, I had to tighten it all the way to snug it up.

Fenrir
07-22-2007, 16:34
Peakbagger, I was not aware of the interchangagble waistbands, I wonder if mountainsmith still makes them? I assume not, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check. My issue is that I have about a 32 inch waist and it just barely fits, if I were any smaller it wouldn't.