PDA

View Full Version : 4 packs totaling 10 Lbs

Madmax
07-19-2007, 20:30
Hi there !

May I disturb you folks here a second, just courious about how much stuff people carry. During extended periodes of 25+ miles days, I find it comfortable carrying max 10 Lbs. of comfortable gear :-? including water for the next 24 hours. Backpack contains fully expanded WM sleepingbag, pad, cookingstuff, food etc. Upper chestbag takes raingear, stakes, first aid etc. The lower black bag is for money, knife, passport, light, radio etc. The green bag in my right hand is my shelter/poncho, the Sixmoondesigns Gatewoodcape, wich can be rolled/stuffed to a volume next to nothing. As the Gatewood serves better as shelter then as raingear, I often bring a 10 OZ Golite umbrella too, it protects well against rain, and actually all dogs, cows and even some humans. Unfortunately some humans need it the other way around :mad:

Anyway, happy trails to all !

xx

shelterbuilder
07-19-2007, 20:50
...and look at the campsite picture! MY GOD! I haven't seen woodcraft like that since the early 60's!!!:eek: :eek:

Madmax
07-19-2007, 21:04
nothing like the 60's :D

trlhiker
07-23-2007, 15:33
So much for tread lighly. You expecting to meet Osama with that rifle.

Tabasco
07-23-2007, 15:58
So much for tread lighly. You expecting to meet Osama with that rifle.

Sure hope he does.....

Cuffs
07-23-2007, 17:25
Poor tree got destroyed for that...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-23-2007, 17:27
May I ask why you need an assault rifle in the woods?

Madmax
07-23-2007, 23:33
Some crazy drug dealing folks claimed those public woods for their private territory and were shooting at everyone, so that little lightweight rifle turned into a piece of self protection equipment. As far as I know, no trees got hurt :-)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-24-2007, 07:03
:eek: Oh my, I do hope you only had to fire for effect to get them to leave.

Would you mind listing your equipment (type of stove, cookware, clothing carried, amount of water, light, knife, etc). Your weight for the hike is impressive.

Fiddleback
07-24-2007, 09:00
Hi there !

May I disturb you folks here a second, just courious about how much stuff people carry. During extended periodes of 25+ miles days, I find it comfortable carrying max 10 Lbs. of comfortable gear :-? including water for the next 24 hours. Backpack contains fully expanded WM sleepingbag, pad, cookingstuff, food etc. Upper chestbag takes raingear, stakes, first aid etc. The lower black bag is for money, knife, passport, light, radio etc. The green bag in my right hand is my shelter/poncho, the Sixmoondesigns Gatewoodcape, wich can be rolled/stuffed to a volume next to nothing. As the Gatewood serves better as shelter then as raingear, I often bring a 10 OZ Golite umbrella too, it protects well against rain, and actually all dogs, cows and even some humans. Unfortunately some humans need it the other way around :mad:

Anyway, happy trails to all !

xx

Is it April 1 already?:D Let's assume the 24 hours of water is one gallon...there's 8+ pounds already. Include the 10oz umbrella and that leaves one pound of the ten left for all other gear??? Help us out here..."it does not compute."

We need details!!!;)

FB

D'Artagnan
07-24-2007, 10:05
::SNIFF, SNIFF:: What's that bovine-like smell? :D

Chache
07-24-2007, 10:43
Is it April 1 already?:D Let's assume the 24 hours of water is one gallon...there's 8+ pounds already. Include the 10oz umbrella and that leaves one pound of the ten left for all other gear??? Help us out here..."it does not compute."

We need details!!!;)

FB
He,s in Europe. He probably means Kilos not pounds

D'Artagnan
07-24-2007, 13:52
He,s in Europe. He probably means Kilos not pounds

22.046 pounds (give or take)

Old Grouse
07-24-2007, 14:06
That is quite a rig. Reminds me of that Tom Russell song, "The Dogs Bark But The Caravan Moves On."

Madmax
07-24-2007, 15:48
To give you an idear of how I think, here is for instance my homemade kitchen, 86 grams 3oz, including burner, gripper, windscreen, cup and even 2 stakes, wich doubles for the shelter. The amount of water mentioned is the 1½ liter I need to live from, in case I don't find any other sources on my way. WM Caribou is 18 oz, my pack 21 oz, small hunters knife 3 oz, closed cut cell pad another 7oz. the cape 11 oz and let me see..... It's all in all 4,62 kg on that digital weight, I mean close to 10 Lbs but that NOT included the WOOL on my body or the boots. I use spinchaps instead of rainpants, and for night orientating, those small diode bicykle light, wich I don't remember the name of.
Lots of SUL folks go even lighter, haven't we all seen those pictures where people proudly hold 4 Lbs packs out in straight arms ?
Anyway, 10 Lbs is my comfortable weight, if lighter I find it little unsafe :rolleyes:
We all have to take a walk and FEEL what is right.

ASUGrad
07-24-2007, 15:54
"May I ask why you need an assault rifle in the woods?"

I suppose you never heard of Bigfoot.

Madmax
07-24-2007, 15:56
That is quite a rig. Reminds me of that Tom Russell song, "The Dogs Bark But The Caravan Moves On."

how to tell a blind about colors...........

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-24-2007, 15:57
.... my homemade kitchen, 86 grams 3oz, including burner, gripper, windscreen, cup and even 2 stakes, wich doubles for the shelter. T...1½ liter (of water)....WM Caribou is 18 oz, my pack 21 oz, small hunters knife 3 oz, closed cut cell pad another 7oz. the cape 11 oz and let me see..... It's all in all 4,62 kg on that digital weight, I mean close to 10 Lbs but that NOT included the WOOL on my body or the boots. I use spinchaps instead of rainpants, and for night orientating, those small diode bicykle light,
......We all have to take a walk and FEEL what is right.Wow, that is impressive. As you note, we each have to carry what makes us feel comfy and safe. Would you know what is your normal backpacking weight is - that is your weight with extra clothing, cleaning supplies, first aid supplies and food for a multi-day trip?

Madmax
07-24-2007, 19:43
Wow, that is impressive. As you note, we each have to carry what makes us feel comfy and safe. Would you know what is your normal backpacking weight is - that is your weight with extra clothing, cleaning supplies, first aid supplies and food for a multi-day trip?

Cleaning supplies, what's that :D Well soap and 1.aid is 10 oz total. Dryed food, to supply that food accessable on the go if you have learned how to, is around another 10 oz/day. If going multy days, normally more then 3 days, I bring some tools helping to catch food. Then, if multy wild days, I also bring a pot for the fireplace, and then save the weight of fuels in return for that of tools and bigger pot and vise-versa. The small 86 gram stove is for multydayslongdistanceinnotsoremoteareas...you know:-?
About clothing, I'm much into wool. If cold weather, just ad another thin merino layer untill it's fine. Winter is a chapter for it self, specially in north of Scandinavia where I normaly live it can be rather harch.

Madmax
07-24-2007, 19:45

Cryptozoology or Yeti :confused:

Madmax
07-24-2007, 20:00

Ohhh...Bigfoot ;)

And thanks a lot for the chat folks ! I'll soon be off again, need to finish the hike for a few month more :sun

Kind regards,

x