PDA

View Full Version : How dry is it out there?

Programbo
07-19-2007, 21:02
It seems like there`s hardly been any rain here in the Maryland area lately...All the grass at the high school I take my afternoon walks is brown and dry..I would assume a lot of the springs are getting dry along parts of the trail..How is it where everyone else is?

Roland
07-19-2007, 21:45
There has been no shortage of rain in the Whites, this summer. Streams and springs are in good shape. Lush vegetation, everywhere.

Chaco Taco
07-19-2007, 23:38
Lots more afternoon storms rollin through but still not helping water levels. Tighter water restrictions in effect.

rainmaker
07-21-2007, 21:41
What about Pennsylvania?

Egads
07-21-2007, 22:03
This trickle is Ramsay Cascades in the GSMNP June 24, 2007.:(

shelterbuilder
07-21-2007, 22:11
What about Pennsylvania?

I was out at the Eagle's Nest shelter on Friday with Shades of Gray doing some work on the privy and getting ready for another worktrip later in July. The stream that supplies the shelter with water still had some pools uphill from the blue trail, and that's about normal for this time of year.

emerald
07-21-2007, 22:21
What about Pennsylvania?

I was at Eagle's Nest Shelter on Friday with shelterbuilder to begin a new batch of compost. Yeich Spring wasn't exactly what I would call flowing, but there was water available from shallow pools.

I haven't been out much lately. Pennsylvania water availability tends to become more of an issue east of The Green Diamond as summer wears on. I'd guess based upon the amount of rain we've had here lately, it's getting harder to come by.

I believe most of this year's NOBOs have passed through Pennsylvania already and SOBOs won't begin to arrive for a few more weeks. Conditions could change by then for better or worse.

emerald
07-21-2007, 22:23
Hi sb. You were a bit faster than me this time.

shelterbuilder
07-21-2007, 23:13
Hi sb. You were a bit faster than me this time.

Just a bit!:D

joec
07-22-2007, 07:40
Anyone with info on the Watagua Lake to Damascus area water availability?

Topcat
07-22-2007, 08:23
progambo...it is so dry here that there was actually a grass fire the other day off Dulaney Valley road. hopefully we get some relief tommorow

Moon Monster
07-22-2007, 12:08
I think Maryland's current drought is real but is minor compared to the ones a few years ago. But, the weather guys have to hype something. The farm whose CSA I bought into has not mentioned much of a problem at all--they are in Baltimore County. Actually, a mild drought sometimes improves the taste of many veggies and fruits.

The NWS says the drought in the South is moderate to minor. The AT lands of Pennsylvania are shown as normal:
http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html
For all of us, there is some expected relief in the coming weeks:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.gif

camojack
07-23-2007, 01:21
It seems like there`s hardly been any rain here in the Maryland area lately...All the grass at the high school I take my afternoon walks is brown and dry..I would assume a lot of the springs are getting dry along parts of the trail..How is it where everyone else is?

When I was camped at Swain's Lock on the C & O last weekend, it rained like all-get-out on Friday night/Saturday morning.

Last time I checked, that was in Maryland... :eek:

Programbo
07-24-2007, 22:53
When I was camped at Swain's Lock on the C & O last weekend, it rained like all-get-out on Friday night/Saturday morning. .....Last time I checked, that was in Maryland... :eek:

Obviously there are periods of rain even within a dry period..I know I drive past the Loch Raven Res. every few days and it looks like it is down a good 6 feet.

The Northeast: Conditions primarily remained unchanged or deteriorated across the northeastern and mid-Atlantic states. In particular, three areas of moderate drought (D1) were blended to make a continuous area stretching from eastern North Carolina to the vicinity of Lake Erie. In addition, a new area of severe drought (D2) was introduced in the mid-Atlantic coastal plain. In Virginia, the percentage of pastures rated very poor to poor surged to 67 percent by July 15, up from 48 percent two weeks earlier. Farther north, enough rain fell in southern Maine to reduce the coverage of abnormal dryness (D0).

SawnieRobertson
07-24-2007, 22:58
It was 54 degrees midafternoon today just "south" of Partnership. Rain began last night and continues to this moment. Yeppers, I think we have got some streams flowing again, at least for a little while.--Kinnickinic

aaroniguana
07-24-2007, 23:06
I haven't needed to get the lawnmower out in 4 weeks here in Glen Burnie. Not as bad as 1999 (I think that was the year), but bad.

Chaco Taco
07-28-2007, 18:50
Anyone know how it is on the Northern end of the Smokies to Erwin, TN?

Miu
07-29-2007, 17:34
Worry no more, I have found all the missing rain. It's been in central Texas on vacation all summer...

Army
07-29-2007, 21:41
Came through the week of 04Jul07 my advise do not pass up any water soruce without topping off .. if was very very dry !

Chaco Taco
07-29-2007, 22:52
Came through the week of 04Jul07 my advise do not pass up any water soruce without topping off .. if was very very dry !

Where are you talking about???

Chaco Taco
08-03-2007, 18:02
So wanted to bump this back up to the top and get some updates. Im leaving for Standing Bear in a couple of days and wante dto know what the water situation is up through to Erwin. That is if anyone knows????:sun Here in central NC its damn hot and dry!

Thank ya

boarstone
08-03-2007, 18:47

Here in Piscatiquis county, we're dry too...little rain..
I don't care what you see on your weather radars, here south of Katadin, in the "100 mile wilderness" we haven't had any rain to speak of for weeks. Today the weather people reported we were to expect tornadic activity north of Katadin/Millenockett/Greenville area w/hail. South of there we got a sprinkle of rain. That was it. And here in lies the AT 100 miler. All water crossings are very low and most not even "running", only pot holes of water here and there amongst the rocks.

Nightwalker
08-04-2007, 15:00
I was in SNP all week. Many of the springs were just damp sand. Around 2/3 of them were unusable. It was rare to get water closer than 10 miles from the last water; sometimes it as far as 13 miles. I got seriously dehydrated and came home. :o