PDA

View Full Version : Eureka Tents

mts4602
07-22-2007, 16:22
I'm looking for a cheap 3 season, 2 person tent that I'll maybe use a few times a year... I'm not going to thru hike or anything serious like that.

I've been looking at Eureka tents, specifically the Apex2 and Apex 2XT. Have any of you used either of these tents. Would it be worth it to spend the extra money on the Apex 2XT just for the benefit of the 2nd half of the vestibule? At least that's the only difference I can see. Would it be a good choice for someone in my situation?

If you have any recommendation on a 2 person tent that is $150 or less I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

MTS

Toolshed
07-22-2007, 18:44
I have a Eureka Apex 3XTA (Aluminum poles) which I use for car camping - It is an OK tent. Certainly not the best I have seen from Eureka (have had at least 8 of their tents over the last 3 decades).

There is a lack of ventilation in the tents. I recently spent a hot mosquito filled annoying night in mine because it would rain for a few moments then stop, then start. In between the mozzies were out and had to keep it zipped up and the rainfly on while I gasped away inside.
(if you look at the campmor pics, you will see at least one wall is solid nylon.)

If you need freestanding, I would prefer in warm weather something with more mesh (still freestanding) like the REI Quarter or Half Dome. I think they are under $150. Ther eis also the Kelty Grand Mesa which is $99 at Campmor.

There are a multitude of non-freestanding options also for under $125.
Good Luck
Rick

moondoggy
07-22-2007, 21:53
I have a Eureka Apex 2XT. I really like it...although I only used it in Sept. I saw them listed for $109 at MooseJaw.....I bought mine a little later in the season and paid around $85......
If you do go with the Apex make sure you seal the seams really well.....mine did leak a little around the zipper stitching during a really heavy rain,

sly dog
07-22-2007, 23:06
I use the eureka zeus 2 le. I read the old style zeus had condensation issues but the new design has improved vents and i have had no problems yet. The vestibules can be a bit larger but work good enough and the weight is only like 4 and a half pounds so it is fine for backpacking unless you are an ultralighter. Campmore has it for like 109 as do some other places. Setup is quick, easy and is free standing and this one has 2 doors and more than enough room.

stumpy
07-22-2007, 23:11
I have the 2xt and it has been a really good tent. I spent one of the worst nights in my life just north of Springer Mountain in it, and it worked like a champ. I was the only one in our party of three tents that stayed dry all night long. The wind so bad that night, I thought that at any moment I was going to be crushed by a falling tree!!!!!!!

mts4602
07-23-2007, 03:23
Thanks for the responses. I really haven't read a bad review of this tent yet. I stumbled upon it on ebay so I wasn't sure if Eureka was even a good brand of tents. I did find it on Campmore for $100 plus a $10 rebate so I may be buying this tent.

MTS

Ramble~On
07-23-2007, 03:50
The wind so bad that night, I thought that at any moment I was going to be crushed by a falling tree!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: I hate nights like that...or when you are camped on ridgeline and a lightning rich thunderstorm moves over you.

Tents...for $150 you ought to be able to find a pretty decent tent...Why limit yourself to Eureka ? Take your time and search the web..
If you aren't in a hurry to get a tent taking your time will be worth it cause the second you buy a tent....you're gonna find one better/cheaper/lighter/bigger etc.etc.

mts4602
07-23-2007, 11:28
Your right SW. I am not in a hurry. My problem is I don't know anything about what's good and what's not. There are tents for $50, but common sense tells me they are not very good. On the other hand I don't have $200-$300 to by an MSR tent which I've heard many good things about. Since people say Eureka tents are actually alright it made me think I had a good deal.

But I'll keep searching...I hate actually spending money so maybe thats a good thing in this case, haha.

taildragger
07-23-2007, 11:45
check out trailspace or better yet, backpackgeartest.org for some reviews of tents, and you can find prices on the cheap at spadout.com

If I were going for a $150 tent, I'd do the REI Half Dome Plus, but I saw a Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2 for under $200 and I was smitten with this 3+ season tent (will eventually get a lighter weight for solo-ing..., or the fast fly)

iesman69
07-23-2007, 12:40
I've got a Zeus 2-person and it's great...carried on my GA thru this summer with no problems. Easy set up and price drove this purchase. I checked out the other brands and like SlyDog, found this one at Campmor for $100 and change. I wanted a little breathing room and didn't want to have to rely on the shelters either. For the money though, I'd recommend the Zeus to anyone not concerned with weight.

Ramble~On
07-23-2007, 18:07
It is always nice to take a car/truck for a test drive before you buy it...this isn't always possible with tents and unless you know someone with a few that is willing to let you get some hands on it's a hard choice.
You are right, there are good tents and then there are tents that are a joke. Marmot, North Face, Mountain Hardware, MSR, Bibler, Hilleberg...etc etc are well respected names when it comes to tents..Eureka is as well and there are plenty I didn't name. What I may tell you is a great tent might be perfect for me but totally wrong for you...and it's your money you'll be shucking out so...before you buy something do your homework and look around...ask questions..WhiteBlaze is a great place cause pretty much any tent you'll ask about someone has or has had experience with.
:rolleyes: Then of course there is the hammock option, tarping it, and tarp tents.
Tents, tarps, tarp tents and hammocks have come a very long way in the past few years.
You mention that you're looking for something cheap to use a couple times a year...is there maybe a college outting club or outfitter in your area that rents gear ? That might be a inexpensive way to use good quality tents and gear.

dperry
07-23-2007, 22:53
Will second the recommendation of the Zeus 2 LE. The only thing is that it has been discontinued, so you shouldn't wait too long if you want one.

Weldman
07-24-2007, 19:21
How about a used Half Dome tent for $65-75. or just the rain fly and poles for $15( what I pick up 2 yrs ago, made a tub floor)
Check out a used REI gear sale.

Non -free standing option
8x10 tarp and mosquito netting, just add trekking poles.