PDA

View Full Version : Vasque Sundowner problem

steve hiker
10-18-2003, 11:27
The liner of my Vasque Sundowners started coming loose on my last trip. Specifically where the back of my heel is. When I pull my foot out at the end of a day of hiking, this part of the liner clings to my heel and comes loose, pulling the rest of the liner with it.

Anyone else have this problem and how did you resolve it?

smokymtnsteve
10-18-2003, 11:35
I have had the whole back of the sole come off of apair of vasque... Mtn X-ings at neels gap has a couple pair on display with same problem....how did I solve the problem???

bought a pair of Salomons...

beancounter
10-20-2003, 07:45
My liners also came lose during my 500 mile hike Section hike this summer. Started using sock liners and it was not a problem. I love my Sundowners.

Pringles
10-20-2003, 11:41
I had a different problem with my Sundowners, but it had to do with the liner. I handed them to the people at the store where I bought them and they gave me a new pair. I don't even remember if I had to show them a receipt. That would have been hard to do if I were engaged in a long distance hike, though.

Beth

ganj
10-20-2003, 11:43
How many miles are on these boots. I used Sundowners (the Chinese versions) from GA-NJ and my only problem were the rocks of PA that chewed straight through the sole. If you don't have many miles on these, you are looking at a manufacturer's defect and should be replaced by vasque.

sdoownek
10-20-2003, 12:06
For those of you with Vasque's that are falling apart---were they made in Italy, or in China/Taiwan? While I hate to say "I've heard", but, "I've heard" that those made in Italy are decent and don't have problems, but those made in the far east have issues with sole separation and general QC.

I have a pair of sundowners that I bought in......96? They were recently replaced with another pair (made in taiwan) that lasted less than 200 miles. I couldn't find an Italian pair to replace them..........

So now I'm in a pair of Asolo's.

Hikerhead
10-20-2003, 13:20
I've had mine for about 2 years now and have had no problems what so ever, I love them. I can't tell where they were made, does it say inside the boot? If so, all of that info has rubbed off.

steve hiker
10-20-2003, 14:19
My Sundowners are Italian made. There's a world of difference between the Italian and Chinese made, which is obvious just by looking at them side-by-side in the store. At least, as of a couple years ago.

I don't have that many miles on them, certainly less than 500. So it's surprising I'm having this problem with the liner so soon.

I got in touch with a Red Wing (Vasque) customer service rep and he said send them in, we'll check for a manufacturing defect. So it seems they'll treat the customer right. I just need to remember to tell them NOT to send me a Chinese pair if they decide to replace them.

smokymtnsteve
10-20-2003, 15:54
good luck...I had a sole separation and vasque told me that it was not a defect.... I glued them and use em in the garden now...but I will NEVER buy another pair of vasque boots.

the Italian boots were fine ..but these chinese vasque suck...
i've seen lot of them separate!

Mike Drinkuth
10-25-2003, 12:25
Here's a weird vasque story. I also have a pair of vasque sundowners that I bought in a goodwill a few years ago. To my eye thay look like an OLD version of the new sundowners. No telling how old. I've put a bunch of trail miles on them with no problem until recently. Lately they've been making my ankle throb after 6 or 7 miles. I too have put them in the closet to gather dust and have switched to low top solomans which weigh less than half of the vasques and feel great!(and only cost me 40$ at galyans) I just couldn't believe my luck when I found a pair of sundowners that fit like a glove and cost me 6$

oruoja
11-25-2003, 00:10
Regarding Vasque Sundowners. My older boots (1996) made in Italy were great and the replacement pair (2002) made in China were definately not as comfortable and had the inner liner separate after about 300 miles of use. The country of manufacure is stamped inside the tongue. Will research to see what the story is behind this.

RagingHampster
11-25-2003, 10:40
Related Issue Here...

I have a pair of Vasque Clarion GTX boots, and they certainly fall apart. I'm actually heading out later this week to look for a new 3-season boot. I'd certainly consider a lower-cut boot as well.

Unfortunately, these have been the only boots that seems to fit me well. I've tried scores of boots from Merrell, Soloman, Asolo, Montrail, etc, and for some reason none seem to fit well. Even other boots within the Vasque product line don't fit me like the Clarions do. It's really frustrating.

My footsize is odd though, sometimes I need a 12 wide, and sometimes I need a 13 regular.

gravityman
11-25-2003, 11:31
My sundowners that I got in 1999 had a liner seperation in the heel and also a small "lump" in the front that ate up my little toe. My local outfitter that I bought them from charged me $5 to send them in to vasque. After a couple of weeks vasque said it was their fault. The store gave me store credit for the cost of the boots. That's why you should buy from EMS :) They give you cash back...

Gravity Man