PDA

View Full Version : Maine?

little bear
07-22-2007, 22:05
I will be in Maine for the month of October visiting my father, and would like to do a 3-4 day trip. My father has not been backpacking in years, so im looking somewhere that has great views, a really nice hike for him, but not a lot of steep climbs, anyone that can provide a nice trip please.

little Bear

Auntie Mame
07-23-2007, 21:17
We often use the trails around Camden and Rockport and Hope, called George's Highland Path system. Great day hikes and spectacular views. There is also a ridge walk about 7 miles or so with ocean views and such, breathtaking, between Mt. Megunticook and Mt. Battie. One could backpack and stealth camp, or day hike with overnights at local cabins or motels. A three to four day outing could easily be put together. It is the most scenery for the effort I know of, and not at all heavily used.
Good luck!

Roland
07-23-2007, 21:28
little bear,

Maine is a large state. In what area will you be located?

The area that wildernut recommends is scenic. So is Acadia. So is Baxter. There are beautiful areas in western Maine that are far less crowded. But depending where you'll be, some of these locations could be a long drive.

Give us a bit more info.

little bear
07-24-2007, 03:30
Sorry about that, I was looking for a hike on the AT, I have hiked around Acadia, due to my father living about 15 miles away from there. I am looking for the best spots on the AT to hike that would not kill the old man.

LB

TJ aka Teej
07-24-2007, 07:37
I am looking for the best spots on the AT to hike that would not kill the old man.
You can do some flat there-and-back-agains in the 100 mile like an overnight to Potaywadjo Spring via Antlers, an overnight to Pierce Pond with pancakes and a canoe ride, just a short walk into Pleasant Pond for a looksee, or some small but rewarding climbs like Nesuntabunt, Speck Pond, or Horns Pond and the Horns above it. If you're able to car spot, or can rig a shuttle out of Monson, your options increase.

woodsy
07-24-2007, 08:07
Like Teej said, from Pleasant Pond over to and possibly up Little Bigelow(for some views) could burn up a few days. You could walk in and out or possibly catch a shuttle back to starting point. This is one of the flatter areas on the AT in Western Maine and about 20+ miles of it. For lots of views U need to go up,up,up. Don't forget to read up on the Benedict Arnold expedition of 1776+- first.

weary
07-24-2007, 10:22
Think about a liesurely traverse of the Bigelow Range. It's a bit steep in places, but the distances are short -- five miles of so to Horns Pond, 3-4 to Avery Col, another 2.5 to the Safford Notch campsite, and an easy 4 miles further to Little Bigelow leanto. From there it's less than 2 miles to the nearest road.

I can't think of any place that offers such a variety of the Maine mountain experience in such a short distance. The only complication is that the hike requires spotting cars and road distances tend to be long in Maine. A 15 mile traverse of the Bigelow range requires around 100 miles or so of road travel to spot and recover cars, though shuttles are usually available.

Weary