PDA

View Full Version : Thing to go on my feet.

thelifejunkie
07-23-2007, 00:46
I do not find there is much about this subject but I am at lost on the subject of footwear. I have a pair of Chameleon Wrap Stretch Gore-Tex XCR shoes that I plan to wear during the middle of the hike, but I feel I need a main boot to wear. I'm 145, with a 30 lb. pack. Any ideas? Just give me some thoughts so I can start my search. Best brands et cetera.

Mr. Clean
07-23-2007, 05:51
but above all, make sure the boot fits YOU. Any of the big name brands are good, but some are narrower, some wider, etc. Try them on near the end of the day when your feet are more swollen, and I'd make sure if you err on one side, get them a tad larger than smaller. Go to a good, reputable boot store. I personally wear L.L. Beans mtn treads, a light/mid weight high top boot which sticks well to rock, but on long days even these are a bit too light. The Crestas from Beans are terrific, but they are heavy duty boots.

I don't think anyone can answer for you what boots to get; you'll just have to try a bunch on. EMS is good for several different brands. Maybe others can chime in as to what they wear to give you a start.

MarcnNJ
07-24-2007, 01:34
Why gortex?? Non-gortex footwear will dry quicker, and gortex will do nothing for you when youre walking in all out downpours or when the trail is flooded.

If you have strong ankles, and your pack weight is truely 30lbs, most people will tell you that any lowtop shoe will work. It all depends on how they feel. I saw people with $30 New Balance sneakers make it 800 miles before having to re-up so price isnt really that important.

If you have weak ankles, like I do, I had the most success with mid-top lightweight boots. Merrell's to be exact. I did hike in heavy weight boots for the second half of PA, but went back to mid-tops as soon as I hit Jersey.

QHShowoman
07-24-2007, 10:33
I always wear low Merrell Chameleons for hiking/backpacking, so I am not sure why if you're already comfortable in the Merrells you have, why would you want to switch to a pair of boots?

I wear my Chameleons w/ Gore-Tex in colder, damper weather, as it helps prevent mud and dampness from seeping into my shoes, but I have a non-Gore-Tex pair for warmer weather that help keep my feet cooler. I find that low-cut shoes allow my leg muscles a greater range of motion than boots do, so by the end of a long hike, I don't feel like my boots are weighing me down.

As long as your comfortable in your Merrells and don't have any ankle issues that would require the additional support of a higher cut boot, why do you think you need a pair of boots as well?

Mother's Finest
07-24-2007, 10:47
single most important thing for any person spending time on their feet----proper arch support

if you are truly going to do things correctly, this will be made for your feet, calibrated to your body weight (so that the foot can flex naturally) and the flexibility of your feet.

over the counter products help many many people as well. you will have to experiment.

proper fit for most shoes/boots. Heel controlled from side to side, little slip up and down (not walking out of shoe). Front of foot should feel nice and free, some small amount of space between longest toe and end of shoe.

peace
mf

as always, find a cped in your area www.cpeds.org (http://www.cpeds.org)

D'Artagnan
07-24-2007, 10:59
Echoing what QHShowoman said.