PDA

View Full Version : New Hostel in Lincoln, NH

Blister
07-23-2007, 12:57
I am happy to bring this news to ya'll. There is a new Hostel in Lincoln, NH and I eagerly show my support to the dream. Operated by Chet aka "One step at a time" not far from the library in Lincoln. He has set up a great space with bunks freshly built by this years through hikers. He is going to try to keep a minimum of 6ish hikers per night, but will be flexible and has the space. There is a 3 night maximum, dogs are welcome. Rates are work for stay, barter, and by donation. I may try to set up some sort of regular shuttle service to help him out if I can make the time. For more info drop me a line.

warraghiyagey
07-23-2007, 13:54
Hey Blister,

Thanks for letting everyone know about the new hostel. The North Woodstock/lincoln area is a nice stop on the trail but had been rather inconvenient for thru's until now. Rather expensive at hotels or pay campsites which was a bummer as there are great outfitters, stores and of course pubs - yours of which is the best for sure.
I met you a couple weeks ago while you were working but didn't come back the next day to get some of your many hiking stories. Maybe next year.
But thanks for the info, definitely this is great news for thru's trying to get out from under the auspices of the G. . . well, damn AMC.
Peace, maybe we'll see you next year during another SOBO.
Warraghiyagey:)

TJ aka Teej
07-24-2007, 07:42
I am happy to bring this news to ya'll. There is a new Hostel in Lincoln, NH and I eagerly show my support to the dream. Operated by Chet aka "One step at a time" not far from the library in Lincoln. He has set up a great space with bunks freshly built by this years through hikers. He is going to try to keep a minimum of 6ish hikers per night, but will be flexible and has the space. There is a 3 night maximum, dogs are welcome. Rates are work for stay, barter, and by donation. I may try to set up some sort of regular shuttle service to help him out if I can make the time. For more info drop me a line.
Outstanding, Blister! If Chet wants, his info can be put up on the Companion Update page on the ATC site. If you send/post the info I can send it in.

minnesotasmith
07-24-2007, 07:47
What's the best route in to this place? (Thanks in advance for opening a new, needed hostel, btw.) I may be hiking some in NH this fall...

jmcgarrahan
08-06-2007, 14:15
Any info on this Hostel?

Blister
08-15-2007, 12:53
Chet the owner is a great guy first of all! The location of the library is within walking distance from the Lincoln Library. With the library on your right walk to the end of the street where there is a stop sign, take a left and it will be the house directly after the Red Sleigh Inn. He is trying to keep the numbers of hikers per night reasonable, but it is hard to do when 20 come through town daily. if your northbound you can probablly call from Glencliff to give a heads up on an e.t.a. Anyways he does not charge for stays, they are work for stay, donation or barter. Great camping in the back as well as the Hostel portion of the house is a great wide open room, once used as a art studio. Early season hikers, helped out building bunks ect... Dogs are welcomed as long as they get along with other dogs, chet has 2. There is a flag pole and a carved AT sign in front of the house.

Jack Tarlin
08-15-2007, 13:05
I have met a great many people who have stayed there this year and enjoyed Chet's hospitality, and I have heard nothing but overwhelmingly positive comments.

Great work, Chet!!

jmcgarrahan
08-15-2007, 13:11
My husband "low Branch" stayed there 2 nights a few weeks ago, and it was one of the best places he stayed at the entire trip. His impression of Chet was that he is a one of a kind wonderful guy!

burger
08-15-2007, 14:02
Blister, do you (or anyone) have a phone number or email for Chet? I'm going to be starting a section hike at Franconia Notch, and I might try to stay there. You can PM me if you don't want the info to be public.

7Sisters
08-16-2007, 06:07
You're giving directions from the Library, but where the AT crosses at Franconia Notch, you need to travel get to Lincoln 4.5 miles. Is the Library in down town Lincoln? I am not picturing it.

Also is this open year round - IE staying there in winter?

Matteroo
10-18-2007, 16:29
Does anyone know Chet's address or his last name? We stayed there for two nights this year and he was so wonderful-trying to gather up the addys for thankyou notes and such. Thanks

Uncle Silly
10-18-2007, 16:42
Does anyone know Chet's address or his last name? We stayed there for two nights this year and he was so wonderful-trying to gather up the addys for thankyou notes and such. Thanks

PM sent. dunno if this info should be publicly posted so i'm opting not to.

jzakhar
10-20-2007, 21:32
Just got out of the whites (short trip only a week). Stayed our last night with Chet. IMO you could not ask for a nicer host, meeting, talking and staying with him will be something i'll never forget.

Lion King
11-29-2007, 13:49
Is this my good friend and ex-roommate Chet West whom Ive known since 1998??????????/

Hope he is doing better!

Crazy man.

Tell him to drop a damn email

Christopher Robin
11-29-2007, 15:02
Is this my good friend and ex-roommate Chet West whom Ive known since 1998??????????/

Hope he is doing better!

Crazy man.

Tell him to drop a damn email
Yes it is Chet, he"s wheel-bounghed. I stayed in Aug. a great guy, but I think thur-hikers should pay him at less a couple of dollars, he lets you shower w/towels and if you need to wash your clothesyou can.
He do not belive in the internet. Geting to Lincon from Franconia Notch south on Rt.93 to Lincon Ex. 32, then turn lift on Main St. thenup the road about a Mile School St.on the leftgo to the end @ turn left on to Pollard St a B@B on the left @ Chet"s the next door w/AT sigh hinging. Sorry no phone#.:sun Audrey

Jeff
05-10-2009, 06:51
Does anyone know if Chet's is open this early (May 15th) in the season?

sofaking
05-10-2009, 13:47
i stayed at chet's last year. he's an incredibly nice guy and his home is a very relaxed and friendly environment. he had a shuttle service lined up last year, we were picked up at the log flume/ visitor's center place a few miles outside of town.

Lybarger
09-22-2009, 19:10
Some hikers recommended this place to me. Do they stay open for weekenders?

kayak karl
09-22-2009, 20:22
Stayed there a few days ago for 2 nites. Chet is a great guy and very interesting to talk to. Place was full with north and southbounders. Definitly worth the shuttle in. :)

Lybarger
09-22-2009, 21:06
Northbounders in Lincoln this late. Boy, they have to hurry along.

chetssister
03-28-2011, 13:28
chet west
197 Polard Road
Lincoln, NH 03251

Smithwick
08-21-2011, 20:15
Looks like the GPS for Chet's is: 44.0454, -71.6752

MEGARedbeard
12-19-2011, 19:12
Hi Warrghi!

Redbeard here. We met this year... Duncannon was the last place we saw each other.

I'm trying to send a christmas card to Chet. Do you or Von Frick have his address?

Chaco Taco
12-19-2011, 21:22
chet west
197 Polard Road
Lincoln, NH 03251

big ease '08
05-13-2012, 14:27
Hello, my name's Big Ease. I thru-hiked in '08 and will be back in the whites this summer and wanted to stop in and say hello to chet on the way. Could anyone send me (pm or otherwise) chet's phone number or email or whatever is the best way to contact him.
Thanks.
-Big Ease

Jeff
05-13-2012, 14:56
Chester West
197 Pollard Rd
Lincoln, NH 03251
603-745-8196

Todd76
03-29-2013, 02:54
Chester West
197 Pollard Rd
Lincoln, NH 03251
603-745-8196

Can I have his e-mail address? I'd like to have more info and probably stay there for two nights.
I come from Northern Italy.

Chaco Taco
08-07-2013, 18:20
Can I have his e-mail address? I'd like to have more info and probably stay there for two nights.
I come from Northern Italy.
That may be difficult. The best way to reach him is by phone. You cant really make arrangements with Chet because he is a "word of mouth" style place and first come first serve.
Any questions you have can be answered here.

Legion
09-04-2013, 21:07
Chet does not wish to be in any guide books. Please respect this and do not continue to post his information on this or any other site.

Legion

Driver8
09-05-2013, 01:43
I stayed at Chet's twice and I think he's cool with being mentioned on WB, which is a DB, not a guidebook, with due respect.

HighLiner
09-06-2013, 00:28
Chet's is a great stop. It's a short walk from the bus station and the shuttle folks only charge a modest price for a ride to the trail. I stayed there last fall to end a hike and last month to start another. Great memory. Chet's is the gateway to the White's and Franconia! HighLiner.

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2013, 12:36
Chet prefers to operate "under the radar" and really likes it when folks find out about his place by accident. I agree with Legion that we should help him keep it that way.

Driver8
09-08-2013, 00:46
Chet prefers to operate "under the radar" and really likes it when folks find out about his place by accident. I agree with Legion that we should help him keep it that way.

Thanks for the follow-up, Jack. Dr. Spice at TJ - http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=432950 - just posted that Chet's moving to VT and will set up a hostel there. Meanwhile he's hoping to sell his place in Lincoln to someone who will keep the hostel going.

Mr Breeze
09-08-2013, 01:36
I stayed at his place last year. Definitely a great place, and great guy as well. So what is new about the hostel? With the exception of the new bunks, his terms as far as staying are the same as they were last year.

Jeff
09-08-2013, 08:23
So what is new about the hostel? With the exception of the new bunks, his terms as far as staying are the same as they were last year.

This thread was started in 2007....new then!!!

cmccullick
02-19-2017, 04:25
Thanks for the follow-up, Jack. Dr. Spice at TJ - http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=432950 - just posted that Chet's moving to VT and will set up a hostel there. Meanwhile he's hoping to sell his place in Lincoln to someone who will keep the hostel going.

Any follow up on this?Does anybody know if he ended up moving or if the hostel is still open?

Jeff
02-20-2017, 12:13
Any follow up on this?Does anybody know if he ended up moving or if the hostel is still open?

Chet remained in Lincoln, NH and has been open every year since this thread started. Cannot say about 2017 but am guessing he will continue to open his door to hikers in Lincoln.