PDA

View Full Version : Section between Max Patch and Erwin

Chaco Taco
07-23-2007, 18:14
I had asked a question a few months ago and couldnt find the thread. Anyway, someone had recommended a spot to camp that was a meadow or something. It think it was after the Bald Mountain Shelter. Does anyone know what Im talking about. Just want to know so I can plan it out on my day to day,:-?

joec
07-23-2007, 20:21
There is a nice meadow type area about 1 mile past Walnut Mountain shelter heading from Max Patch to Hot Springs. It will be on the right side of the trail and is a wonderful place to stop.

Chaco Taco
07-23-2007, 22:04
That is it!!! I had put a star on that and 2 other spots. Thanks!!!:)

bigcranky
07-24-2007, 21:56
It's called Cat-Something Bald -- can't remember the actual name. Nice spot. It's in the databook.

Chaco Taco
07-24-2007, 22:00
Catpen Gap. I cant wait for this hike. Prayin for good weather!!

Tennessee Viking
07-24-2007, 22:30
I had asked a question a few months ago and couldnt find the thread. Anyway, someone had recommended a spot to camp that was a meadow or something. It think it was after the Bald Mountain Shelter. Does anyone know what Im talking about. Just want to know so I can plan it out on my day to day,:-?
Not sure of anything on Big Bald. But camping there is pretty rough to come by. The area around BMS has loose soil not great for pinching a tent.

I do know there are a number of camping sites on Flattop Mtn. After climbing to the top of Flattop and coming to the forest road junction there is a big meadow just above the trail. Then down the lower old timber road, there is a big grazing patch about 2 miles down, right at the Devils Creek Trailhead.