View Full Version : Grandma Soule

StarLyte
07-24-2007, 13:04
From ALDHA:

"Verna has taken a turn for the worse and her doctors say there is nothing
more they can do for her and stopped all treatment for her and contacted
hospice for future care. Hospice has been in for about four weeks now and
have been monitoring her care, also furnishing equipment she might need
(bed,walker and any medicines we can't provide her.)

She isn't confined to the bed, but sitting up in a chair tires her so she
spends most times lying down, getting up only to go to the bathroom and
changing her clothes and bed linen.

If you would, I would appreciate it if you would spread the word to hikers
in your area who would know or have heard of granma soule thanks."

Grandma Soule's photo here (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/7/1/Upload17.jpg)

the goat
07-24-2007, 13:06
hey starlyte, what year did she hike?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-24-2007, 13:10
:::: Dino reads thread with quivering lower lip and big tears ::::

Thanks for letting us know, StarLyte.

StarLyte
07-24-2007, 13:34
hey starlyte, what year did she hike?

Verna Soule has hiked these trails which are listed in the ALDHA membership directory:

Appalachian Trail 1987
Long Trail 1989, 1990
Michigan Shore-To-Shore Trail 1980 & 1989
Sheltowee Trace KY Trail 1985
Grand Canyon 1980, 1984, 1986
Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail FL 1991
Finger Lakes Trail 1996
Superior Hiking Trail 1999

I met her at the PA Ruck in 2003. Great lady. Lots of good trail stories!

If anyone would like to send her anything via mail, please refer to your ALDHA directory or email me at: [email protected]

MOWGLI
07-24-2007, 14:25
She was out on the AT in 2000 also. She had a journal on Wingfoot's site, I believe. I never met her, but was inspired nonetheless.

berninbush
07-24-2007, 14:30
Hmm, I wonder if we might be related. I am descended from Bishop Joshua Soule, who was in turn descended from Mayflower Pilgrim George Soule. There are a lot of Soules (and Souls and Sowles and Soles) in the U.S., distant branches of the same family.

Regardless, I will say a prayer for her and her loved ones.

Yahtzee
07-24-2007, 14:39
I hiked with Gramma Soule in '99. I distinctly remember her counseling two female hikers in dispair over their slow pace. She told them that everything would be fine, don't judge yourself on what others are doing but what you can do. Great advice to anyone, anywhere.

I also remember her calling her husband in Cincinnatti (i believe) from the Smokies and telling him to come get her cos she was done. When he got there, she told him to go home, she was contintuing on. That's spunk.

A true beautiful spirit. There is a photo of us together in my gallery for those who do not know what she looks like.

I am sending all my good vibes her way. May she be in comfort and peace.

SawnieRobertson
07-24-2007, 15:55
Hmm, I wonder if we might be related. I am descended from Bishop Joshua Soule, who was in turn descended from Mayflower Pilgrim George Soule. There are a lot of Soules (and Souls and Sowles and Soles) in the U.S., distant branches of the same family.

Regardless, I will say a prayer for her and her loved ones.

Soule is her married name. Her husband is Ken Soule. He was incredibly supportive of her hikes. She was out on the trail in 1999 with Pittsburgh, but she began feeling more and more exhausted rather than getting better and better as she hiked. Ken came right down to Hot Springs to pick her up.

Later, I think the next year, she did hike the AT again. She was being slacked by a dear old friend who was ill and the friend's brother. That hike ended, however, when she got to Manchester Center. She'd picked up a Lyme tick about a month before. It was a big tick year.

I know that she did complete the trail at least once. And, of course, she is one of the starz in Lynn Weldon's film about the Long Trail.

Verna at home would walk eight miles/day. She was always getting ready for the next hike, I guess. I feel for Ken and their kids because she is truly a force not to be lost.

Thank God for Hospice.

Kinnickinic

Skyline
07-24-2007, 16:22
Verna is one of the sweetest, but toughest, people of either gender I have ever known. Last time we communicated was a couple years ago I bet, and she had hopes of getting better.

I hope her days and nights will be as comfortable as possible, surrounded by loved ones, and that she gets to thru-hike whatever long trails she discovers in her future.

SawnieRobertson
07-24-2007, 20:09
Verna's e-mail address is [email protected].

She is the kind who would love to hear from the new hikers as well as those that have been around a while and perhaps know her personally.

Kinnickinic

Lone Wolf
07-25-2007, 18:59
she's one of the best. great lady.

StarLyte
09-05-2007, 19:12
Hello all,

Hate to report this about Grandma Soule. I cut and pasted this from an announcement to ALDHA and the AT-L:

"VERNA PASSED AWAY TODAY,SEPTMBER 5, IF YOU WOULD I WOULD APRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD SEND THE NEWS TO THE FINGERLAKES TRAIL MEMBERS AND ANY OTHERS YOU MIGHT THINK THAT THEY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW.THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR GOOD WISHES FOR VERNA"

peanuts
09-06-2007, 09:06
oh wow, talk about dejavu.... first moxie, now grandma soule. my thouths and prayers to her family...wish i would have had the pleasure to meet her.

StarLyte
09-06-2007, 09:12
oh wow, talk about dejavu.... first moxie, now grandma soule. my thouths and prayers to her family...wish i would have had the pleasure to meet her.

Thanks Peanuts.

She was a beautiful lady. Great Trail stories. She was loved by many.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-06-2007, 09:24
::: Dino sits down and has a good cry. Prayers for her family and those who loved her - me included :::

SawnieRobertson
09-06-2007, 21:01
I thought of one more Verna story. In the fall of 1998, I drove up to Monson and talked with Mrs. Shaw. She told me about Verna's time there. She said that as everyone was packing up for the ten-day hike of the Wilderness, Verna filled her backpack too. All these big, strapping men were struggling to pull on their overladen packs when Verna walked out, grabbed her pack by the "arms," and flipped over her head, onto her back. Everyone but Verna was astounded. And off she went.--Kinnickinic

SawnieRobertson
09-06-2007, 21:03
Excuse me. Verna flipped IT over her head, onto her back. You can see her do this in the Long Trail film, 27 Days.--Kinnickinic

gypsy
09-06-2007, 21:25
Awww... I met here right around Sam's gap I believe in 2000. I met so many great people that year. I feel so blessed.:)

TJ aka Teej
09-07-2007, 07:29
She's hiking a higher trail now, and still having a great time doing it, without a doubt. See you down the Trail, Verna.

ricardo49008
05-27-2010, 22:10
I've just been told a member of my church is dying of cancer & has been turned over to Hospice. Thoughts of 3 years ago when my best friend, my mom, Verna passed away. This the first time I've been to this web site. You people are the best. I'm so glad you had the blessing to cross paths with, as she was blessed to cross paths with all of you. Thank you all for keeping her memory branded strong in my mind.
Her Son, Ricky

TIDE-HSV
05-28-2010, 01:24
I've just been told a member of my church is dying of cancer & has been turned over to Hospice. Thoughts of 3 years ago when my best friend, my mom, Verna passed away. This the first time I've been to this web site. You people are the best. I'm so glad you had the blessing to cross paths with, as she was blessed to cross paths with all of you. Thank you all for keeping her memory branded strong in my mind.
Her Son, Ricky

God Bless you and your memories of her, Ricky...

SawnieRobertson
05-28-2010, 07:26
Ricky,

If the abilities of Grandma Soule come in genes, then you have great offspring. I know it sounds like palaver, but I think of her often. I think "What would Verna do?" She would say "Keep walking," I think. She was strong, not only as a hiker. You who were her family were doubtlessly a large source of that strength and good will towards others.

Please tell us how Ken is doing.

Sawnie Robertson
(Kinnickinic)

rambunny
05-28-2010, 13:32
I tried to catch her thru 3 states and finally got to meet her in 2000. I hope her heavenly backpack is light. She certianly was an inspiration to me.