PDA

View Full Version : External Pack

partinj
07-24-2007, 13:21
Hi i plan on taking a external frame pack on my thur-hike just wonder what the lightest weight external frame i can get. I saw a Jansport carson 90 at campmor it weight 4lbs. 13 0z. do you guys know of any lighter external frame pack. around 3500 to 3900 cu in.

Thank:-?

map man
07-24-2007, 22:47
Check out luxurylite.com. The external frame pack he sells is easy to customize just by varying the number and size of the bags (he calls them cylinders) that are attached to the frame. My pack weighs just over two pounds and carries a little over 4000 cubic inches of stuff, believe it or not. I've had great luck with it in the two years and 400+ miles I've hiked with it. It's pricey but he now sells a three cylinder package that brings the price down significantly from what I paid for mine in December of 2005.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-25-2007, 07:42
Male dino uses a Kelty Trekker 3900, but it isn't a lightweight. LL is pricy, but an ultralight and very flexible system.

Jaybird
07-25-2007, 07:48
Hi i plan on taking a external frame pack on my thur-hike just wonder what the lightest weight external frame i can get. .................................................. ..

ask Hopeful Hiker!
he had a rather SPIFFY external frame pack when i hiked with him for a few days (Mt.Rogers NoBo):D

hopefulhiker
07-25-2007, 10:24
Luxury Lite makes the lightest external frame, Expensive but I liked it. Hiked with it the whole way in 2005... Luxurylite.com

Tipi Walter
07-25-2007, 10:34
I'd like to read some reviews on the luxurylite system before investing money. The harness setup looks spooky with a load of 60 pounds or more. The lightest externals I've seen have been the old Kelty packs, circa 1970's etc. Everything now has more padding, more hipbelt doodads, more webbing and straps and all the rest.

hopefulhiker
07-25-2007, 10:40
Speaking from experience The LL frame is most comfortable with around thirty pounds.. The best thing about the system is the front back which counter balances the load. The frame can carry sixty lbs but who would want to.. The idea is to reduce the weight..