PDA

View Full Version : What Has Hiking Done For You?

ridgewalker777
07-24-2007, 17:21
I remember Boy Scout hiking back in the 1970s and how enjoyable the camping experience was--an escape from the plastic society, hiking and camping in the winter, canoe camping, varied camping and hiking. Then I took up solo hiking in '87 on the Long Trail and it provided a good feeling of freedom, great views, the grueling experience of hiking with a pack, the healing and health intense physical exercise provides. Since then I've returned to hiking numerous times--I've hiked most of the A/T. I've been enriched by the Appalachian Trail, thought I'd sound off on this topic if any other hikers have feedback on it.

Yahtzee
07-24-2007, 17:34
"It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that is shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy" Horace Kephart

Amen.

Footslogger
07-24-2007, 17:43
I've got a great set of legs ...

'Slogger

Two Speed
07-24-2007, 17:55
(Man, you ain't teasing. I still ain't forgot that patented 'Slogger sashay in the red dress!)

What's hiking done for me? Ummm, warped my sense of humor?

Footslogger
07-24-2007, 18:15
(Man, you ain't teasing. I still ain't forgot that patented 'Slogger sashay in the red dress!)

What's hiking done for me? Ummm, warped my sense of humor?

==============================

...and that's not even thread drift !! ...or is it ??

'Slogger

Chaco Taco
07-24-2007, 18:35
Gives me time to sweat out all of the beer i drink when I am at home;)

WalkingStick75
07-24-2007, 18:39
The AT has given me some great legs too :)

More important it has renewed my faith in people, I have met so many great people on the trail. I always carry that back home with me in my daily life and work.

Two Speed
07-24-2007, 20:39
The AT has given me some great legs too :)Yeah, but how do you look in a red dress? :cool:

Okey doke, I've done my part to get the thread drift going.

All kidding around aside, hiking has taught me that life itself has no meaning. Life's a gift and it's up to us to give our life meaning.

mnof1000v
07-24-2007, 20:44
The AT actually helped me re-organize my life. I was working at a dead-end job I hated, and the AT provided me an excuse to leave that job. While I was hiking, I had plenty of time to reassess, and determine that I wanted to do something else. Now I'm much happier, and I owe it to that 5 month experience.

But like others have said, the experience has really renewed my faith in people. Coming from the northeast, you don't regularly run into strangers willing to help out a stranger in need - especially one that smells as foul as I did while on my thru.

buckowens
07-24-2007, 21:12
The trail brought me very close to my 9 year old (Roo), and allowed us to share some beautiful places together. Not a week goes by when she does not say "Dad, remember on the trail..." Now my almost 7 year old son is asking "When can I hike with Dad?" Ain't life grand :D

It also puts the petty small stuff into perspective when your biggest concern is finding water, and there is a chance you won't!

We leave again this weekend for another bit before school starts...

Chaco Taco
07-24-2007, 21:57
The trail brought me very close to my 9 year old (Roo), and allowed us to share some beautiful places together. Not a week goes by when she does not say "Dad, remember on the trail..." Now my almost 7 year old son is asking "When can I hike with Dad?" Ain't life grand :D

It also puts the petty small stuff into perspective when your biggest concern is finding water, and there is a chance you won't!

We leave again this weekend for another bit before school starts...

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!:banana

I wish my dad was in the condition to go with me sometimes.

Monkeyboy
07-24-2007, 22:10
It has taught me :

1.) To be closer with my son.
2.) That you don't need much in life to make you happy.
3.) That even if you are happy, you can still go through what you've got and dump even more.
4.) It doesn't take a lot of money to do it, either. (After the initial investment of all your ultralight gear that is)!
5.) That it's always good to go home.

buckowens
07-24-2007, 22:15
It has taught me :

1.) To be closer with my son.
2.) That you don't need much in life to make you happy.
3.) That even if you are happy, you can still go through what you've got and dump even more.
4.) It doesn't take a lot of money to do it, either. (After the initial investment of all your ultralight gear that is)!
5.) That it's always good to go home.

Monkeyboy,

Very well said!

All that, plus cheeseburgers taste better as well!!:D

Tennessee Viking
07-24-2007, 22:24
Hiking has been kind to me. It all started by looking for trout streams to fish. And I thought I would try Dennis Cove. And I found my way down to Laurel Falls. And thats all it took, I am now addicted. Any day I am off from work or right before work, I do some day hiking.

I used to be a real coach potato, but look at me know I am every where on the trail. I even joined up with the Eastman Club and started trail maintenance and group hiking.

Last Christmas, I incoporated my hiking with my gift giving by making my mother a calendar of my hikes, especially waterfalls.

This last april before the heat rolled in, I started section hiking by doing Carvers Gap down to Bear Branch. Remind me the next time I go to sleep at the shelters when a 30 kids start to invade.

gold bond
07-25-2007, 20:52
My son is not a hiker. He loves to day hike and has done some extended trips with me. This summer we had a chance to go to Philmont Scout reservation in Cimmeron New Mexico. We did an 80 miler. Had a blast!! I was so very proud of him and we found a bond I didn't even know exsisted. The last two days he hiked with a twisted knee. I was worried to death but because of his knee I hung back with him. We talked about the future. I am so very proud of my son!

I swear I'm tearing up as I right this.The last day there we talked about what the last two weeks had meant to us. I couldn't even get it all out I choked up so bad. Even though he is not a Backpacker he came to me and said that he would really enjoy doing some hikes with me evry now and then! So what does hiking mean to me....everything Monkeyboy said and my "NEW" and improved relationship with my son!

Monkeyboy
07-25-2007, 20:59
....ahhh.....the benefits of a committed parent of scouting.

That's the best thing I've gotten out of being a Scoutmaster for 18 years!

And my son is only 14. I've been a Scoutmaster before he was even born, and now I enjoy it even more, because my son is in it. He is currently working on his Eagle, and when he makes it, it will be because he did it himself, because I am harder on him than I am the other boys. I don't want anyone thinking he got it just because I am the Scoutmaster.

But hang in there....it only gets better the more you hang out with him. I can honestly say he is my best friend and I am his. Not saying I'm not Dad first and foremost, but a friendship with your son will last forever.

That is why we are section hiking the AT together.....it may take us twenty years to do it all in one week spurts, but that just gives me something to look forward to until he is 35!

We should get together sometime to do a section!

littlelaurel59
07-25-2007, 21:02
My son is not a hiker. He loves to day hike and has done some extended trips with me. This summer we had a chance to go to Philmont Scout reservation in Cimmeron New Mexico. We did an 80 miler. Had a blast!! I was so very proud of him and we found a bond I didn't even know exsisted. The last two days he hiked with a twisted knee. I was worried to death but because of his knee I hung back with him. We talked about the future. I am so very proud of my son!

I swear I'm tearing up as I right this.The last day there we talked about what the last two weeks had meant to us. I couldn't even get it all out I choked up so bad. Even though he is not a Backpacker he came to me and said that he would really enjoy doing some hikes with me evry now and then! So what does hiking mean to me....everything Monkeyboy said and my "NEW" and improved relationship with my son!

I took my son backpacking for the first time at the age of 8 to Mt Rogers, then to Mt San Jacinto in southern CA. We then moved on to longer weekend hikes in the Smokies and other places. In June, we did a 50 miler from Dickey Gap to Damascus with a group from his scout trip. We will be at Philmont next summer.

The bond of friendship we have developed on these trips will last a lifetime. I can't imagine a better hiking partner.

gold bond
07-25-2007, 21:11
Monkeyboy...my son is 16. Got his Eagle at 15 and will most likely be in scouting untill the end of time!

I would love to do a section with you or if it can be arranged with you and your son and along with my son.He and I did fom Sam's Gap tp Bald mountain shelter. Thats a great section. If you guys haven't done that yet maybe we can make it happen. Thats my sons favorite section!

gold bond
07-25-2007, 21:43
I agree littlelaural59, I couldn't imagine a better partner.

You will love Philmont no doubt about it. I will probably try and go back next summer as well. Maybe I'll see you there.

Monkeyboy
07-25-2007, 21:57
Our troop will be hiking Deep Gap to Fontana Dam next summer.

Will also be up in the Tennessee area over Thanksgiving....

Will keep in touch about that....would love to do it, and I know my son would too.

hopefulhiker
07-25-2007, 22:05
Hiking has taught me that age is a state of mind;
That most obstacles are mental;
To be humble;
That pain can be part of being happy;
That there can be a kind of music in the silence of hiking alone away from it all;
That you can get by with a little help from your friends;
and finally what Thoreau was talking about.

littlelaurel59
07-26-2007, 19:45
I agree littlelaural59, I couldn't imagine a better partner.

You will love Philmont no doubt about it. I will probably try and go back next summer as well. Maybe I'll see you there.

That would be fabulous to see another White Blazer at Philmont!

I am extrememly excited about the trip. 5 of the boys in the crew went on our 50 miler in June (Aptly named "Poor Man's Philmont), so we will have a very experienced crew. It was really neat watching the boys' skills and confidence grow during the week.

I could have done a lengthy hike just with my son, but I realized afterward that by leading a group of teenage boys, I provided them with a life-changing experience. They are tomorrows hikers/ maintainers/ trail angels/ conservationists.

This thread started by asking what hiking has done for you. I encourage all of us to ask what we can do for hiking- by leading and teaching others, by helping maintain trails and preserve wild places, and by helping our fellow hikers. WB is a great community:banana

Blissful
07-26-2007, 20:22
Liked reading about the bonding with your kids during hikes. :)

I have been hiking with my son Paul Bunyan (who will turn 17 Sept 1st) for close to 5 months on the AT. We began March 5th. We've had our ups and downs but we know more about each other than we could ever hope to know. When the least little thing gets to me, he will ask what's wrong. We have been there for each other through the good and the bad. We have become great friends and not just mother and son. We are hiking buddies. It has been a rewarding experience, and we plan to complete our journey when we leave for the last leg of the AT this Sunday (Mass. to Katahdin).

aaroniguana
07-26-2007, 21:01
Hiking has given me hope and the knowledge that freedom is only 90 minutes away in good traffic (time it takes me to drive to the AT from my home).

c.coyle
07-26-2007, 21:26
Hiking has taught me that age is a state of mind;
That most obstacles are mental;
To be humble;
That pain can be part of being happy;
That there can be a kind of music in the silence of hiking alone away from it all;
That you can get by with a little help from your friends;
and finally what Thoreau was talking about.

Ditto to all of that, plus, hiking has taught me some really practical things that apply in the real world: how to fly anywhere on the planet for a month or more with just a carry-on bag, and never have to check luggage. That you don't need hot water and indoor plumbing and air conditioning to be comfortable and happy, and to appreciate them when I have them.

buckowens
07-26-2007, 22:03
Liked reading about the bonding with your kids during hikes. :)

I have been hiking with my son Paul Bunyan (who will turn 17 Sept 1st) for close to 5 months on the AT. We began March 5th. We've had our ups and downs but we know more about each other than we could ever hope to know. When the least little thing gets to me, he will ask what's wrong. We have been there for each other through the good and the bad. We have become great friends and not just mother and son. We are hiking buddies. It has been a rewarding experience, and we plan to complete our journey when we leave for the last leg of the AT this Sunday (Mass. to Katahdin).

Wow Blissful!

You give me hope that I can keep Roo's interest past the age of 9!!:D

I am so happy for you and you must be so proud! There are a bunch of Mom's and Dad's out there, but the buddy thing is the best!

Pennsylvania Rose
07-27-2007, 09:04
Hiking has taught me patience and how to overcome physical and mental obstacles.

And, as so many parents have noted, it's given me a different kind of relationship with my older kids. I'm still the parent, but being wet, cold, tired, and miserable together, as well as sharing the best of times, has evolved into a partnership of mutual respect. I hope I have the same with my younger kids.

superman
07-27-2007, 09:44
Over the years I'd become more and more of a rigid thinker...set in my ways. Civilian hiking has helped me to be more flexible and adaptable. Some who know me might say that I need a bigger dose of hiking...or something.:)

gold bond
07-27-2007, 12:42
Blissful you and PB have had some wonderful experiences. I have been following you two thru your TJ's. I hope and pray that all has gotten better for you physically.
While I was I Philmont this year I thought about you. When we got to the top of Trail Peak which is about a 1800 ft climb on golf ball sized rocks I noticed one of the scouts doing something. He looked as though he was just lost in thought. I thought he was hurt or something. I asked if everything was OK and he said there is a tube here to put a message in and I want to put one in there but I can't figure out how the verse goes. I said what verse. He started out by saying, "I know it starts off with something like in Christ I can do or something like that" I then said, " you mean, I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me" He got all excited and said "yes, yes thats it." He asked me how I come to know that verse and I told him how thru your trail journals I came to memorize it. After he and I talked he began to tell me that about a third of the way up that hill he had come to the conclusion that he just was not going to make it. Then, and this is what really excited me, he and about four other scouts all prayed for each other! Well they made it so he felt like he should share that with anyone who made it to the top and wanted to read the journal in the tube.
Thank you Blissfull!!

FFTorched
07-27-2007, 12:55
For me hiking is how I get back to my center. I start getting irrated or stressed out if I spend to much time without some time in the woods with my self. So usually a good little day hike clears it up. In college I would hike at least once a week, but usually more. Then hiking took more and more of my time and I guess that's why I didn't finish college. Now I get to do these wonderful things called ruck marches with overloaded rucks and an M-16.

oldbear
07-27-2007, 13:18
Given me legs that make it difficult to find pants to fit them into and given me moments like the one that happened during a questionably legal climb of Mt Katahdin one Memorial Day.
We had gone up Hamlin Ridge in a cloud and as we approached Tableland we climbed out of the cloud and were greeted by a rainbow arcing down into Chimney Pond. Everthing above us was in the sun and covered with snow and everthing below us was invisible . It was as if we were on our own planet.Truly amazing