PDA

View Full Version : See my hooped Gatewood cape

Madmax
07-25-2007, 00:20
I just "improved" the Gatewood cape with a hooped pole. Anyway it makes a very stabel pitch, and it's the one I'll carry on the second half of my "thruwalk"
http://www.era-ewv-ferp.com/index.php?page_id=29

In case you want to try it, use a aprox 300 cm pole, little more or less, in 2 polecups attaced to front and rear and secured by a small guyline on the ground to keep things in place. It saves 2 stakes, but add 2 oz for the pole over the oririginal one, unless from Fibraplex :-?

Diagonally placed under the cape suits Eurekas Spitfire Solo innertent exately in, even though it's a little low in the rear end. If it's in the way, the inner, it's so cheap that it can just be burned in the evening fire :sun

Thanks for reading,

Max

Madmax
07-25-2007, 00:35
CHANGE IS THE ONLY CERTAINTY !

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-25-2007, 06:09
Using a pole with the Gatewood is an excellent way to improve the headroom and stablity. Finding a way to use the Gatewood as a tent fly for a Spitfire is brilliant. This would give a hiker the option of having a bug free environment without any fly in nice weather; having a single fly in warm, rainy weather (using Spitfire's fly only) and having two flies for extra warmth in cold weather or extra protection in extremely windy weather. It would give the additional option of using only the Gatewood and a ground cloth for times when no bug protection is required.

Other configurations that come to mind - it would provide a 'spare bedroom' to another hiker in an emergency or a second room for your use if you should decide to stay in one place for an extended period (to ride out a bad storm, for example)

Jaybird
07-25-2007, 07:23
I just "improved" the Gatewood cape with a hooped pole. Anyway it makes a very stabel pitch, and it's the one I'll carry on the second half of my "thruwalk".................................................

"...quite IMPRESSIVE!":D

Madmax
07-25-2007, 18:49
Using a pole with the Gatewood is an excellent way to improve the headroom and stablity. Finding a way to use the Gatewood as a tent fly for a Spitfire is brilliant. This would give a hiker the option of having a bug free environment without any fly in nice weather; having a single fly in warm, rainy weather (using Spitfire's fly only) and having two flies for extra warmth in cold weather or extra protection in extremely windy weather. It would give the additional option of using only the Gatewood and a ground cloth for times when no bug protection is required.

Other configurations that come to mind - it would provide a 'spare bedroom' to another hiker in an emergency or a second room for your use if you should decide to stay in one place for an extended period (to ride out a bad storm, for example)

Yah, nice working little shelter, but the Spitfires originally non-stealth color fly is of course left behind. Since I don't use hikingpoles and tend to sleep in places where only stealth is right, I was "forced" to find a way to combine the Spitfireinner and the Gatewood :-?

Soooo Looong......

Footslogger
07-25-2007, 20:45
I just "improved" the Gatewood cape with a hooped pole. Anyway it makes a very stabel pitch, and it's the one I'll carry on the second half of my "thruwalk"

=====================================

Wonder if that approach would work with the new Wild Oasis, which is based on the Gatewood Cape.

'Slogger

Madmax
07-25-2007, 22:38

Wonder if that approach would work with the new Wild Oasis, which is based on the Gatewood Cape.

'Slogger

There may be an issue with the Oasis missing the harness attachment loops. Why not give it a try ? Or ask Ron what he thinks, as I've just shown him my pictures and I understood that he too wants to try it.

Footslogger
07-26-2007, 09:21
There may be an issue with the Oasis missing the harness attachment loops. Why not give it a try ? Or ask Ron what he thinks, as I've just shown him my pictures and I understood that he too wants to try it.

Yeah ...I'll check with Ron. By the way, what is the length of the pole being used on the Gatewood Cape ?

I like NOT having to carry a special pole used ONLY for a tent, which is one of the big advantages of the Wild Oasis (as well as the Lunar Solo-e, for that matter) in addition to the weight.

'Slogger

Madmax
07-26-2007, 19:54

Yeah ...I'll check with Ron. By the way, what is the length of the pole being used on the Gatewood Cape ?

I like NOT having to carry a special pole used ONLY for a tent, which is one of the big advantages of the Wild Oasis (as well as the Lunar Solo-e, for that matter) in addition to the weight.

'Slogger

And I like NOT having to carry a special pole for walking, that's what legs are for :D Doesn't the Oasis need a pole to stand up as well as the Gatewood ? By the way, I'm considering how to fish properly with my tentpole, now that it rests in my pack anyway :-?

Madmax
07-26-2007, 20:09

'Slogger

Ohh, forgot to mention weight and length of the normal "walkingpole" for the Gatewood is 45" and 1.8 oz in my alu-edition. The 287 cm hooped pole comes in at 4.6 oz and saves 2 stakes, one at front and one at rear where the pole rests on the ground. So if your stakesaving is let's say 2x0.5 oz, and the polecups 0.25 oz each, the hooped version all in all add poleweight with 2.3 oz over the normal configuration - not a lot of kilograms for that windstability :)