PDA

View Full Version : Brunton RL4 Headlamp

snarbles
07-25-2007, 12:30
I'm about to purchase the Brunton RL4 headlamp as it seems ideal because of it's 3 white LEDs and 1 red LED. Thus preserving night vision for star gazing.

Only weighs 2 oz too!

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=399

Anybody have experience with this? I also have a Tikka Plus which has served me well, but I did not like having to put the red filter over the light for night vision and would prefer a red LED.

Your opinions?

reddog176
07-25-2007, 17:50
That's what I got and I love it.

Got it to replace a similar one I picked up at Dick's sporting good, and was heavy and bulky.

It's hard to find a light headlamp with white and red led's that uses standard size batteries (2x AAA) in this case.

Reddog176 aka Gadget

catscastle
07-27-2007, 01:28
I just purchased a Black Diamond Gizmo to replace my Petzl which is somewhere on the trail but have a Energizer Brand from Wal Mart that has two red LED's w/ two magnifier lens putting out 35 lumens. Of course it's 3 AAA and a little more that 2.0 ounces but was only 14.00 and brighter than anything I've seen?

snarbles
07-27-2007, 09:20
I just purchased a Black Diamond Gizmo to replace my Petzl which is somewhere on the trail but have a Energizer Brand from Wal Mart that has two red LED's w/ two magnifier lens putting out 35 lumens. Of course it's 3 AAA and a little more that 2.0 ounces but was only 14.00 and brighter than anything I've seen?

I've seen that one, it's not bad at all.

Time To Fly 97
07-27-2007, 09:39
I just got a Petzl Tactikka to replace my Tikka Plus. It has a nice Zoom on it, but I think I like the linear layout of the LEDs better on the Tikka Plus, rather than the circulat layout on the new one. The linear ones seem to light up more peripherally. The Taktikka has a diffuser you slide over the light to spead out the lighted area, but I think this dims the light too much.

That's my Petzl report : )

Happy hiking!

TTF

snarbles
07-27-2007, 13:06
I just got a Petzl Tactikka to replace my Tikka Plus. It has a nice Zoom on it, but I think I like the linear layout of the LEDs better on the Tikka Plus, rather than the circulat layout on the new one. The linear ones seem to light up more peripherally. The Taktikka has a diffuser you slide over the light to spead out the lighted area, but I think this dims the light too much.

That's my Petzl report : )

Happy hiking!

TTF

That was my issue with the red lense. It dulled the light too much and compared to an actual red led, there was no comparison.