PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone....

Flinx
07-26-2007, 00:53
The dang thing squeeks....i know that i saw a thread somewhere about others having this problem....any ideas?...touch of oil? I'm guessing it's the hip belt attachment area...not sure.:o

Nest
07-26-2007, 01:04
I don't remember for sure, but I think I heard mine squeaking at the frame sheet in the back. I would guess it's from the plastic rubbing on the ripstop. I was gonna try to remove the frame sheet, and make a dwr shell that fits over it snugly, then replace the frame sheet. I would think that would stop it.

If it is the hipbelt, then some strategically sewn in DWR might fix it. I think dwr would be best because it is lightweight, water resistant but not waterproof, and very slick.

Footslogger
07-26-2007, 09:18
Bought my Ozone used and it squeaked a bit when I first put it on. I ended up making an adjustment to the shoulder straps to accomodate my torso length. When I did that the squeaking went away.

I think the noise indicates excess stress where the frame sheet attaches to either the hip belt or shoulder harness. I would try loosening those attachments, alllowing the pack to settle on your back and then retightening them.

Other than that you might have to live with the squeak until the pack wears enough for it to go away on its own.

Really like the Ozone by the way ...used the Vapor Trail on my 2003 thru and still carry it with loads up to 24 - 26 lbs. But I'm getting ready for a PCT thru and anticipate carrying loads closer to 30 lbs, which aren't comfortable on the Vapor Trail frame.

'Slogger

Kerosene
07-26-2007, 17:22
I run into this problem periodically. I 'fix it' by twiddling with the flaps covering the bolts that attach the shoulder straps to the framesheet. Sometimes I don't even have to take off the pack! It doesn't happen very often, and I'm not exactly sure what's rubbing against what, but this has fixed the problem every time. I seem to only have this problem once a week.

whitefoot_hp
07-30-2007, 10:47
The dang thing squeeks....i know that i saw a thread somewhere about others having this problem....any ideas?...touch of oil? I'm guessing it's the hip belt attachment area...not sure.:o

mine squeaks as well, but not all the time and typically not terrible enough to drive me crazy. mine sqeaks down around the hip belt/frame sheet confluence, and i notice it sqeaks more when i distribute more weight to my hips.

FreeTheWeasel
07-30-2007, 13:14
I have a Nimbus Latitude. I first ran into this problem on a quick out and back trip on the Ozark trail in Missouri. I had this problem again recently on a 4.5 day hike through the Superior Hiking Trail (SHT) in Minnesota. It nearly made me crazy.

Finding the squeek was a chore, but I was fairly certain that it was located in the hip belt where it is attached to the frame. Repositioning the velcro flap that holds the frame sheet helped on the Ozark trip.

Before the SHT hike, I tried to prevent the squeek by placing a strip of sticky foam drawer liner in the hip belt/flap area. This foam is the stuff you buy to keep your silverware tray from sliding around when you close and open the drawer. It looks like black spiderweb or very thin Swiss cheese. Two days out, the squeek was back.

I realized on the trail that I had put the foam in the wrong area. I took the hipbelt apart by removing the screw that holds the belt the frame. I placed the foam between the belt and the frame so that the screw pokes through a hole in the foam.

Squeek was completely gone. Try it. You'll like it.

FreeTheWeasel

Flinx
07-30-2007, 22:13
Thanks for all the responses folks....i am in the middle of a marathon work schedule and i don't have time to look at this problem....i will update when i get to try some of these and let you know what worked....btw...i do love this pack.... i have the vapor trail also...my wife uses it now :)

Flinx
08-04-2007, 04:18
Well...i did a hike this morning and it squeeked less....haven't had time to try some of the suggestions...maybe normal wear will cause it to hush up....i have been on night shift for 2 weeks straight so i only have time to hike in the mornings....it's cooler at least.

Come on October! That's when i will do my first section hike of the AT :)

Smile
10-28-2007, 23:26
I hiked with someone who had a squeaky GG pack, had to move ahead a bit, it was new too. I'll have to ask her how it is right now ( she doesn't do the internet) and maybe get back to this thread to let you know. :)

Kerosene
10-29-2007, 11:45
My GG Nimbus Ozone has this problem sporadically. I've found that if I simply adjust the "flaps" where the shoulder straps bolt into the framesheet that I can get the squeaking to abate. I seem to have this problem once a week while section hiking.