PDA

View Full Version : Central KY hikers

John B
07-26-2007, 12:59
I've noticed that there is an informal group of TN hikers who get together periodically to eat, drink excessively, tell lies about their hiking exploits, and in general share misinformation.

I'm thinking that if worthless hiker trash from TN can do it, perhaps the upstanding, hardworking, decent folk in central KY should consider doing the same. Any interest in getting together every couple of mths at, say, Joe Bologna's or some other similar location? I've noticed that there are a dozen or so WB users in the area, but I've never personally met any of you.

Just an idea. Maybe send me a PM if interested.

Tabasco
07-26-2007, 21:18
you name it John, time and place. You've got my info.

Pennsylvania Rose
08-03-2007, 18:23
Just wondering if you'd heard from anyone else. I know there's more of us out there, and I'd love to meet you!

Tabasco
08-03-2007, 19:49
John and I were emailing back and forth today about this get together. Is during the week or weekends better for you PA Rose? Where you want to meet up? John had mentioned Joe Bs down on Campus, maybe Shamrocks in Heartland?

Midway Sam
08-03-2007, 21:43
I musta missed this the first time around. I'm in. I have found Panera Bread in Palomar Shopping Center to be a great meeting place. They've got a nice sized semi-private room that is quiet enough to carry on a conversation in.

Tabasco
08-04-2007, 10:44
John, Sam, PA Rose, and any other Central KY hikers

Next Saturday Morning, August 11th, at 8AM, Palomar Center Panera Bread.

I'll be the one drinking Starbucks Coffee, can't stand that stuff they pawn off as Java at Panera Bread. I'll also have my dog eared copy of the AT guide intently reading about some other section hike.

Midway Sam
08-04-2007, 15:47
John, Sam, PA Rose, and any other Central KY hikers

Next Saturday Morning, August 11th, at 8AM, Palomar Center Panera Bread.

I'll be the one drinking Starbucks Coffee, can't stand that stuff they pawn off as Java at Panera Bread. I'll also have my dog eared copy of the AT guide intently reading about some other section hike.

I'll bring my laptop with all my pics from my section hikes.

Tabasco
08-06-2007, 12:49
bump to the top

Pennsylvania Rose
08-06-2007, 13:26
Just got back from my mother in law's. Glad to see the plan. I'll be there.

John B
08-06-2007, 15:05
I'll definitely try to be there. Moving my kid's stuff back to Miami University either Sat. or Sun., but she'll procastinate, delay, and goof off, thus making Sun. the more likely day.

wudhipy
08-07-2007, 13:38
:-?Hi all

This sounds like something that could lead to some pretty good outings. I also have seen posts from Tenn. Carolina Hikers at trail daze, even a webb site for of all places Ohio backpackers. My wife and I have a nut of a work schedule but like to get out whenever possible, usually to the red river gorge or some such place. I'll keep comming back here and perhaps something might evolve.

see ya in the woods

wudhipy

Tabasco
08-10-2007, 07:32
see you tomorrow morning

spunky
08-17-2007, 21:40
I guess I'm a little too far west in KY. Might have to stick with the TN gang. Have fun!

Spunky

Tabasco
08-31-2007, 10:03
Same time & place tomorrow Sept 1st?

Midway Sam
08-31-2007, 10:20
I can be there, with a couple of junior backpackers in tow. I've got "dad duty" all day.

kyhiker1
08-31-2007, 10:44
Due to my job I am sometimes limited to when I can go hiking.If I have a weeks notice then theres a good chance I can meet up.

Hooch
09-08-2007, 10:04
I wish I'd found out about this before it happened. :( I hope I can make it next time with you guys.

Tabasco
09-08-2007, 10:15
hiyas HH, we ended up going to the Tom Dorman Nature Preserve and hiked last Saturday.

we will bump this back up when we meet again.

Tabasco

Hooch
09-08-2007, 17:52
Cool, keep me posted.

Midway Sam
09-08-2007, 20:04
I'll be hiking in the Cumberland Falls area next weekend with my Cub Scouts and then will be on the AT the next 2 weekends if the water situation in the Smokies permits. Perhaps the second Saturday in October?

Shadowmoss
09-08-2007, 20:20
*cough*

Us TN Hiker/Hammocking Trash will be getting together again Sept. 20th. You northern folks are welcome to join us. That is a Thursday evening, though. I know you folks need your sleep and all so a weeknight would be an issue.

I'm hoping that one of our topics will be picking a date for another Saturday evening get together. I'd love to hear the hiking lies from folks from a larger area around here. Not that Ewker can't hold his own for us down here...

Midway Sam
09-08-2007, 20:54
*cough*

Us TN Hiker/Hammocking Trash will be getting together again Sept. 20th. You northern folks are welcome to join us. That is a Thursday evening, though. I know you folks need your sleep and all so a weeknight would be an issue.

I'm hoping that one of our topics will be picking a date for another Saturday evening get together. I'd love to hear the hiking lies from folks from a larger area around here. Not that Ewker can't hold his own for us down here...

If all goes well I will be sleeping in Ms. Joyce Monnroe's cabin on that Thursday night and then hitting the trail at Wayah Gap on Friday bound for Dick's Creek Gap on Sunday. Then I'm shuttling up to Wesser for a night at the NOC before heading out Monday bound for Newfound Gap. Hopefully the water situation from Fontana Dam to Newfound Gap will allow for the "second leg" of my journey.

Hooch
09-09-2007, 08:11
Just in case anyone is interested, there is a group hang in Hot Springs, NC (http://www.hammockcamping.com/Assets/HotSpringsSep07.htm) this next coming weekend. If any KY hikers want to attend, drop me an e-mail or PM me. Anyone welcome, even you groundling folk. :eek:

Hooch
10-03-2007, 16:03
For anyone who may be interested, there are several of us from Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net)are planning a weekend trip to Red River Gorge the weekend before Thanksgiving, November 16-18. Here's the link (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1311) to the plans thus far. Everyone is welcome, groundling and hammocker alike. If you're interested, just give me shout via e-mail or PM. Hope some of y'all can make it! :D

Tabasco
11-01-2007, 11:33
Saturday morning 8AM, Panera Bread Palomar Center, Harrodsburg Rd and Man O War
next to Gold's Gym.

See you there.

JohnB: I'll bring my ULA to show you.

Midway Sam
11-01-2007, 12:24
Saturday morning 8AM, Panera Bread Palomar Center, Harrodsburg Rd and Man O War
next to Gold's Gym.

See you there.

JohnB: I'll bring my ULA to show you.

I'll see what I can do.

John B
11-02-2007, 07:00
I'll be there.

Jeepocachers
03-09-2008, 11:53
Hey, I just ran across this post. I'm from West Ky near LBL. Let me know when you guys get together as I would like to try to attend and meet a few fellow KY hikers. Thanx Mandy

Tabasco
03-09-2008, 15:00
we'd love to meet you, but that would be a LONG drive to Lexington for a cup of java and a bagel.

Hooch
03-09-2008, 15:08
Since the subject came up, when is there going to be another get together? I'd love to attend one if I can.

Jason of the Woods
03-09-2008, 18:51
I'd come but I think that I pissed off the Hooch.

Hooch
03-09-2008, 21:51
I'd come but I think that I pissed off the Hooch.Nah, I apologized and told ya we were cool. Besides, don't let me scare ya off! :D

Jason of the Woods
03-10-2008, 08:11
I was mostly kidding.

Hooch
03-10-2008, 08:13
I was mostly kidding.Mostly? :eek:

Jason of the Woods
03-10-2008, 08:27
Well you know. If there is a little bit of tension in there it makes for good conversation.

We are leaving in two weeks for the Smokies and then headed out of Springer on the 4th. I think that we'll be back the first week in May if wee keep our schedule. We are headed to the Gorge today for another week.

Hooch
03-10-2008, 08:32
Well you know. If there is a little bit of tension in there it makes for good conversation.

We are leaving in two weeks for the Smokies and then headed out of Springer on the 4th. I think that we'll be back the first week in May if wee keep our schedule. We are headed to the Gorge today for another week.Fair enough. :D I'm heading to the Gorge myself the last weekend of the month. I think there is some talk over at HF about getting a group hangout together some time soon for the Gorge as well. Enjoy your trip, hope y'all have a good time.

Midway Sam
03-10-2008, 08:34

We are leaving in two weeks for the Smokies and then headed out of Springer on the 4th. I think that we'll be back the first week in May if wee keep our schedule. We are headed to the Gorge today for another week.

What's your Smokies schedule? I'm gonna be on the AT in the park on the 28th, 29th and 30th.

Jason of the Woods
03-10-2008, 08:34
Sounds good. Talk to you soon.

Jason of the Woods
03-10-2008, 08:36
We are there starting on the 28th. We may just spend our days being touristy since we leave for a month of hiking right after. Not to mention our cabin is really nice.

Midway Sam
03-10-2008, 08:38
We are there starting on the 28th. We may just spend our days being touristy since we leave for a month of hiking right after. Not to mention our cabin is really nice.

I'll be starting at Newfound heading southbound on the 28th. Will be cross paths?

Jason of the Woods
03-10-2008, 08:50
Probably. Say hi.

Midway Sam
03-10-2008, 09:06
Probably. Say hi.

Will do.

kytrailman
03-14-2008, 09:02
I'm in louisville and always looking for folks to hook up with in this area. Hard to find around here. Do you guys get together regularly??? I see some of you will be in the smokies soon. I will be going through there around that time heading to Erwin. Maybe see some of you aout there..

Tabasco
03-14-2008, 10:06
usually we meet for a cup of coffee and talk about stuff. I've only hiked with Midway Sam for a really short day hike with some of our Cub Scouts. (He and I are both Cub Masters)

check out kywilderness.com for some local flavor

Midway Sam
03-14-2008, 10:15
I'm in louisville and always looking for folks to hook up with in this area. Hard to find around here. Do you guys get together regularly??? I see some of you will be in the smokies soon. I will be going through there around that time heading to Erwin. Maybe see some of you aout there..

I'll be the roughly 30lb overweight guy trudging slowly uphill. If you happen to pass me while I'm going downhill, I'll stil be the one trudging slowly.

I carry a green REI pack and use a KY Blue sil-nylon pack cover if it's raining. If you spot me, say hi.

Midway Sam
03-14-2008, 10:15
usually we meet for a cup of coffee and talk about stuff. I've only hiked with Midway Sam for a really short day hike with some of our Cub Scouts. (He and I are both Cub Masters)

check out kywilderness.com for some local flavor

Midway is soon to be "ex-Cubmaster" and then will become "Assistant Scoutmaster". :sun

Jason of the Woods
03-14-2008, 17:24
We've talked about starting something before just in casual conversation. Louisville really doesn't have a real hiking club that I've seen. There's the Louisville Hiking Club which you have to be nominated for and looks like there average member is in their mid seventies. I will give them credit though. I took pictures of a group of them at Grey's Arch that ended up on their web sight. There is atleast a little hill to climb on that trail.

HippieHiker
04-21-2008, 22:08
Hey guys I go to EKU, but im from northern kentucky....Im looking to do a lot of hiking this summer cause Im doing the AT nobo in 09. If anyone wants to get together and go to the gorge for a few days PM me.

rcunigan
05-19-2008, 10:23
Just read through the thread. I am from E'town and have sectioned hiked 1/3 of the AT. Planing on doing Hot Springs to Erwin starting June 8 if any one is available.
Beaker