PDA

View Full Version : AT Length History

amigo
07-26-2007, 22:14
Anyone know where there is a list of mileage of the AT, year by year? Also, where there is information on the major relocations of the trail, again by year?

Thanks!

Rain Man
07-27-2007, 15:52
I'm just guessing, but the ATC itself might be the best place to start looking. I'm a big believing in going to the horse's mouth first off.

I hope you'll share what you learn. This is an interesting question!

Rain:sunMan

rickb
07-27-2007, 18:01
2138.5 in 1983 :banana

John Klein
07-27-2007, 18:08
I live about an hour from Springer. Since moving here 2 years ago, I've always wondered about exactly where Mt. Oglethorpe (the original southern terminus) is and if the original trail is still hikable. (I'm guessing it's on land that's now private, farms, or the like).

Roland
07-27-2007, 20:16
Anyone know where there is a list of mileage of the AT, year by year? Also, where there is information on the major relocations of the trail, again by year?

Thanks!

Warren Doyle has a historical perspective that few here have, and seems to pride himself in keeping data about the trail. I'd talk to WD and the ATC.

Kerosene
07-27-2007, 21:08
I live about an hour from Springer. Since moving here 2 years ago, I've always wondered about exactly where Mt. Oglethorpe (the original southern terminus) is and if the original trail is still hikable. (I'm guessing it's on land that's now private, farms, or the like).Take a look at this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6485) with a lot of info on Mt. Oglethorpe from hacksaw.

Jan LiteShoe
07-27-2007, 21:36
2,172.6 BIG ONES in 2003!
:)

2138.5 in 1983 :banana

Kerosene
07-27-2007, 22:34
1983: 2,138.5 per rickb

2000: 2167.1 per Lobo

2001: 2,168.1 per Kerosene (Data Book)

2003: 2,172.6 per Jan LiteShoe

2005: 2,174.9 per Kerosene (Data Book)

[unaudited]

Cookerhiker
07-28-2007, 09:48
This numer is an amalgamation of who knows how many sources. Section hiking the Trail over portions of 29 years (1977-2005), I began a spreadsheet in the mid-80s using my journals and past guidebooks. My earliest hiking was in VT so I used the Long Trail Guide for mileages. As the years went on, I used the latest Data Book I had each time I updated the spreadsheet. So although I covered the whole trail, I wouldn't swear to 100% accuracy of the miles I hiked - perhaps 99.5%.

My initial reaction was wondering why my number of 2,158.7 was less than the current 2,175. Of course, the answer is relocations. On my very first hike in Vermont, the Trail bypassed Stratton Mountain; going over Stratton was a blue-blazed alternative. Over 29 years, it's not surprising that the mileage would vary. As it turns out, my mileage amounts to 99.2% of the current total.

veteran
07-28-2007, 12:39
I live about an hour from Springer. Since moving here 2 years ago, I've always wondered about exactly where Mt. Oglethorpe (the original southern terminus) is and if the original trail is still hikable. (I'm guessing it's on land that's now private, farms, or the like).

The original AT followed the road on the map to the north over Sassafras Mtn to Rt 136.

Map Links:

http://www.topozone.com/print.asp?lat=34.4861&lon=-84.33031&s=25&size=l&u=5&layer=DRG&datum=nad27

http://www.topozone.com/print.asp?lat=34.50231&lon=-84.33266&size=l&u=4&layer=DRG&datum=nad27

Rain Man
07-28-2007, 20:15
Over 29 years, it's not surprising that the mileage would vary.

What's funny is that mileages vary on the same day! LOL

I just did the AT through the Shenandoah National Park this week. As I studied maps, guides, data books, and the like, I often found none of them seemed to agree on the distances between two points.

Of course, I used the LONGEST to compute how far I had hiked!!!! LOL

Rain:sunMan

Tennessee Viking
07-28-2007, 22:52
I have been wondering the same. I live and work on the Tennessee section of trail. My research tells me that the AT originally travelled the entire length of the Iron Mtns from Watauga Dam (called Iron Mtn Trail from Cross Mtn Road to above Damascus). The Roan Highlands didnt open until the late 40s. Then the trail used to travel from Holston Mtn at the SW Low Gap (at the TV/Radio transmitters) to Double Springs Shelter. Tennessee has changed drastically over the years.

From what I understand about how most the trail used to run, the trail used to run forest service roads, timber trails, and rural roads, and existing trails.

Then trail used to run over summits and peaks which over decades has caused erosion. The current method of building trail is hillside.

The Old Fhart
07-29-2007, 10:04
Buliwyf-"My research tells me that the AT originally travelled the entire length of the Iron Mtns from Watauga Dam (called Iron Mtn Trail from Cross Mtn Road to above Damascus)."My 1942 'Guide To The Appalachian Trail In The Southern Appalachians' says: "Paralleling the route of the Trail, to the east, is Iron Mtn. In southeastern Virginia, Iron Mtn. forms the route of the northern section of the Trail thru the Holston Ranger District of the Jefferson National Forest. South of Damascus, a continuous Forest Service trail extends along the crest of Iron Mtn. which parallels Holston Mtn. to the east. Between Damascus and the Watagua River, trails and old roads form frequent connections between the Iron and Holston Ranges. A most interesting circuit hike, from Damascus, is to go south on the Appalachian Trail and return north by the Iron Mtn. Trail."

The detailed description has the trail going from Damascus, to Abingdon Gap, over McQueen’s Knob, Locust Pole Knob, Holston Knob, and the crest of the Holston Mtns, then droping down to RT-91 in Winner, finally a long road walk to Watauga. Apparently the guidebook has a typo where they interchanged ‘Holston’ and ‘Iron’ because the detailed description and the map has the trail going along Holston Mtn. to the west of Iron Mtn, I also don’t remember the trail in ‘southeastern Virginia’, as the 1942 guide states above. Southwestern Virginia would be correct. I’d believe the detailed description and the maps.
+++++++++
The 1950 edition of the guidebook has a corrected description and says: "This section begins in Damascus, Va., at the junction of Va. Highway 78 and Route 58. ..... After the trail reaches the crest of Holston Mtn., 2 miles south of Damascus, There is little change in elevation. The Forest Service McQueens Knob Firetower offers an excellent view."

Lobo
07-29-2007, 10:23
2167.1 in 2000

dperry
07-29-2007, 10:49
The ATC site used to have a listing of mileage changes over the years, but I can't seem to find it anymore.